2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by dleake, Dec 12, 2018.

1. matkoehler

matkoehler Junior Member

Sure, they are the exact same except Gloss finish only (as you said) and none of the collateral items from the 50th Anniversary models are included. VOS or Aged finishes can be ordered through Made 2 Measure, however.

PierM likes this.
  2. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Also new batch of '68 seems not using the nylon saddles ABR1.

jktxs likes this.
  3. matkoehler

matkoehler Junior Member

Correct, no nylon saddles spec'd on the new price list version. Some '68s had them (catalog and Gazette photos) but some did not. Either way is correct to '68 it seems!

RAG7890, jktxs, DrSte31n and 3 others like this.
  4. Scream And Fly

Scream And Fly Senior Member

I need somebody to explain to me exactly how the Historic-spec wiring will “increase dynamic range”. I’d love to know how they’re measuring dynamic range, and why more modern wiring reduces it. I’m sure Gibson will provide some marketing-speak as an answer, without any real basis in fact.

I’m not looking to intentionally poke at Gibson, because I’ve purchased many new Gibson guitars and I’ve loved almost all of them. The issue for me is the never-ending stream of Gibson PR jibberish that has been assualting their customers for decades, which most often turned out to be either an answer to a nonexistent problem or bogus technical innovations (self-tuning Les Pauls, Firebird X) or simply BS altogether. Because Gibson over the years has been very good at convincing their customers about what “better” means.

5. mrfett

mrfett Gibson AF Premium Member

It’s pretty simple, they’re referencing past potentiometers with values lower than 500k. The marketing-speak is misleading only because historic instruments have been using 500k pots for a while. In previous decades though the values could be much lower, reducing high end. That’s why if you take an older Les Paul and replace the wiring harness with 500k pots the guitar immediately sounds less muddy.

cmcgov and gravedanger like this.
  6. matkoehler

matkoehler Junior Member

Not better, just different. That hang tag layout and the writing/terminology was extremely vintage-inspired. Much of the text was borrowed from 1950s Gibson catalogs, Gazettes and tags. Specifically, the "increased dynamic range" comment is a throwback to the original Humbucker "orange tag" description from 1957. All that to say -- there is indeed increased dynamic range in these new wiring harnesses, but not by the value of the pots...500K is what they were before. The new taper of the potentiometers is what allows the increased versatility...audio taper versus the previous linear taper for a less dramatic drop off from 10-to-1. Makes it really easy to clean up your tone and retain clarity.

But as I said it's just different...not better. Obviously the guitars we made previously were fantastic. It's been the longstanding tradition of Custom Shop to push the limits of our instruments every year. We have to keep improving and diversifying our product range in order to survive...and personally I'd like Gibson to survive! :) Thanks for the great questions.

7. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Probably I misendurstood the phrase, but historics were already using the ‘historic 500K audiotaper pot’ (PPAT-059). I dont have linear pots in any of my historics.

“From Gibson Guitar’s Historic Re-issue guitars come Gibson Gear’s new Historic Spec series – parts that have been specially designed to replicate the original parts used by Gibson in the late 1950s. This Historic Gibson 500K Audio Taper Potentiometer has been designed to be vintage-accurate, specifically in terms of its dramatic audio taper. With a dynamic sweep from 1 to 10, you’ll notice a difference on every single level. For anyone who's ever said, "They don't make 'em like they used to," here's some proof to the contrary.”

Gibson Item No. - PPAT-059

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. matkoehler

matkoehler Junior Member

Ah yes I shouldn’t have said linear...that’s my mistake. I know we did completely change the tolerance spec and taper type...I will have the details on Monday of what potentiometer specs we had and what we use now. Again...not better just different! :) Thank you.

PierM likes this.
  9. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. :)

10. Gold Tone

Gold Tone Senior Member

Ah

Thanks so much for clarifying Mat. The implication seemed to be that previous to this year all pots were linear. I know that none of my recent (pre 2019) histories came with linear pots...all are audio

Thanks again