2018- I wanna get FATTER- help me.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Hatefulsob, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Help a (literal) skinny guy out. I want to add (figurative) fatness to my sound with, at most,
    a whisper of grit, OD. So far I've had the most success with a (always on, when I use it) ModTone clean boost. Is a clean boost the best way to "fatten" tone with adding little gain to the signal? It does make a noise when switched off/on, but if you leave it on, no problem.
    Should I invest in a "better" CB or BB preamp? Not opposed to spending a little $ since..I haven't yet. Also, just came into $12000. and don't want/need another guitar or amp.

Stupid question- since a clean boost theoretically just "boosts" the signal from your guitar, does one brand sound different from another, other that 25bd vs 35db boost?

The pedals I own:
    Modtone clean boost - free. Strange story, but Free from the manufacturer!
    Bad Monkey- free from a friend.
    DOD YM 308 - free from another friend.
    Yamaha DG Stomp free from friend who gave me DOD above along with a Plastic TS that I gifted to the wife of the friend who gave me the Bad Monkey.
    The DOD while fairly low gain, just changes the sound too much.

Wow this is a long post. I should note that I've had little sleep for days on end and I've been drinking brandy and 9 percent beer for 3.5 hours. My apologies if I sound like a rambling asshat.
    I welcome all suggestions.

edit: oh yeah, I'm kind of a jazzer, hence the fat cleanish sound quest. I dig and appreciate rock, just can't fukcing play it.

2. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I like a Soul Food.... (transparent boost) You can leave the gain (dirt) knob at zero and the Treble at 12:00 and adjust the Volume (boost) to stank up the preamp. Works great in getting the amp's preamp to stank without cranking the amp to the point of killing critters and small chilrens...

Works especially great on a Fender amp....

With the Treble knob, you can make a Lester neck pickup sound spanky too....

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

I suggest an optical compression pedal, a slap back delay and a reverb pedal (after the od and boost pedals).

JohnnyN likes this.
  4. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

What amp are you using?

5. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

My best amp is a Budda SD18 (pre Peavey) - that one needs nothing lol. My practice amps are Peavey C30, a pair of Roland Cube 30's (with speaker upgrades) linked together and Polytone MB1.
    Like I said, so far the modtone clean boost has been the most successful of what I've got, but what I've got is really just what I've come into. Looking for tips for what would work better or so. The Fulltone "fat boost v1" reads like it might be up my alley. I just don't have the experience to know if it'll be better or even different from the modtone. Thanks.

6. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

See if you can try the fulltone. It is the only way you will know if that is the one.

7. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

How about the Fatboy bacon boost?

8. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

TC Spark Booster.

9. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Fulltone Fat Boost is a good one, it even has a gain control which adds just a touch of hair. Another that I really like is the Pigtronix Class A Boost; it's a one knob affair but does add a touch of balls to the low end.

10. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I'll throw the ep booster in the mix here. I dont use it as a boost but rather an always on with the knob turned down to get that echoplex preamp sound. But with the control of the boost and th internal dip switches this can fatten up your tone for sure. Plus i like its very small real estate.

11. ehb

The little EP stomp is a great pedal and damn sure has that old EP preamp color.... But it colors... Gonna have to back off of something else if you crank that knob...
    Love those things though....

12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

EHX LPB-1.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Oh if definitely colors your sound, but to me its that color that also fattens up the tone.
    If the op is looking for a click on straight up db boost then I'd suggest a volume pedal, nothing easier then turning up the volume.
    But if he wants a always on pedal that fattens up his tone then some form of a pre amp is needed.
    After just rereading the op, and noticing his nice surprise of $12g's, I'm gonna say go nuts and get a KoT. F the wait just pay the premium for one second hand. Imho You wont regret it, i went thru quite a few od pedals untill taking the plunge and it truly is a never sell pedal.

14. ehb

Barry Freaking Bailey tone is his fingers on his old Goldie Deluxe into EchoPlex into his old Marshall....
    You KNEW it was Barry Bailey when you heard it...

First time I heard this tune when they recorded this first album I was hooked...

And the following.... Just damn....

Greatly underrated guitarist..... I've only heard two folks on the planet able to come close to legitimately mimic him....

JohnnyN likes this.
  15. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Did you ever consider or play with an EQ? My mxr 10 band eq adds alot of clean headroom.

northernguitarguy and Rich like this.
  16. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

I was absolutely AMAZED when I added a volume attenuator to the effects loop on my amp. It allowed me to crank the amps volume and push the tubes, yet I'm able to keep the DBs lower with the attenuator. I get a very nice, natural break up that I've not been able to emulate with a pedal.

Guitar: Les Paul Studio (with "Hole Lotta Humbuckers")
    Amp: Fender HotRod Delux 3

Al

17. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

I always (with my limited exp) thought that an EQ would add too much noise. I really don't play very loud so I keep a very low noise floor. Thanks for the comments guys; haven't bought another pedal yet but have been playing around with bad monkey as clean boost, and fiddling with the Modtone. Gonna be switching pups soon so will wait till that's done before getting too (can there toomuch?) anal.

18. Renegade

Renegade Senior Member

Another vote for the EP Booster. I set it on the unity gain with the DIP switches and put it before my Tube Screamer...it's a keeper.

19. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Good luck, the journey is half the fun.

Btw, no noise from my eq at all. You can actually kinda reduce noise if you wanted to cut a particular frequency

Hatefulsob and Rich like this.
  20. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Sounds like you're looking for a compressor. A subtle one like an opto comp.