2018 Historic '59 In-Hand Observations

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by markguitar, Jan 11, 2018.

1. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Just got in a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Historic '59 Reissue and wanted to post my observations. All specs and parts look to be True Historic. Checked the pickguard spacing to be sure. As a Standard Historic guard will not fit a True Historic. The first thing I noticed right away pulling it out of the case is the neck shape and size. This is by far the most accurate neck size of any year reissue other than some of the signature and Collectors Choice models. Neck measurements are: 1st fret - .887", 12th fret - .967". The binding is slightly rolled but not as much as an aged guitar. The little lower True Historic style frets have a nice and broken-in feel and the guitar has a very easy and slinky feel. So much so that I checked the string gauge with my dial caliper to make sure they were 10-46, and they are. The Dark Bourbon Fade color is really nice and I like the fade around the bottom of the body with the stronger color only at the upper bout. They are no longer using a toner(amber) in the clear coats so the binding on the body and neck is the natural cream-bone plastic color. The Custom Buckers seem to be about the same and both measure right at 7.75K. Removed the control cavity plate and the electronics look to be the same. One thing I did notice is that the raw Mahogany color looks to be a little darker. The Fiji Mahogany over the last number of years has been very light in color. The faded color on the back of the body and neck look fine to me and from what I see in the control cavity, looks to be correct pore filler. In the past few years some of the backs look to bright red to me and I know that they were spraying a candy red in the clear over top of the color from the pore filler to make it darker. Dave Johnson pointed it out when stripping some of the guitars. So to me overall, nice guitar and nice updated appointments. And the pricing back to 2014-2016. Good to have straight ahead Historic reissues back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
  2. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

Mark don't tell me this when you're shipping me a '13! :)

RAG7890 and Thunder Dump like this.
  3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Does the all specs part include grain matching the neck/body? It would be nice to know which TH specs weren't carried forward.

Thank for the info.

4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

..........all pre ‘18 prices have now tanked. :p :D

Kidding. :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks Mark nice to get an objective overview.

Cheers, Rudi

THDNUT likes this.
  5. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Pictures maybe?
    :D

wildhawk1 and endial like this.
  6. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

Same here. I‘d really like to know!

What about the rolled binding? I ask this every other day it seems. Reason being that I still don‘t really get what really was different with the True Historics other than they were hand filed and that special attention seems to have been payed to the fret ends. I own both a TH and a 2017 Standard and they‘re really close in feel.

It bugs me that Gibson itself just states that TH specs were carried over when in reality a few pieces seem to be missing?

The more time goes one, I think the 2015/2016 era guitars will be look at with mixed feelings. Might not be the golden era many wish it was. The more I think about it, I don‘t like the name True Historic. Should‘ve called it Ultra Spec or sth.

Take this with a grain of salt as I‘m just a newbie. And don‘t get me wrong: I f***ing love my 58 TH in Vintage Cherry and will definitely be looking at the 2018s 58s in the same color.

But why did they use an ambered coat then and change it now, when this doesn‘t seem to be too difficult and actually was a TH spec? Grain matching always seemed a bit silly to me as a spec.

That said, I‘m very happy to see the changes for this year. I want them too succeed.

Tobacowes likes this.
  7. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Pictures would be considered SPAM as I’m a sponsor and it will be listed on my site soon.

Frails and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  8. hbreaze

hbreaze MLP Vendor

I got my first 2018 in today and concur with everything Mark described. Looks like we’re in for some nice Historics this year.

jco.1 and mfolet like this.
  9. Meclazine2

Meclazine2 Member

Great info Mark. Thanks.

10. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

[​IMG]

:thumb:

11. DanD

DanD Senior Member

You've never seen a deep red back with a light red neck? Check some USA models with brown backs and tan necks. I see it most on the USA line but I've seen Historics like this too. The grain matching is done to help insure the neck wood takes the dye in the same way the back does. It's strictly aesthetic.

12. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

So mfolet was right.

:rock:

mfolet likes this.
  13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.......yeah but he says the same thing every year. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

That reminds Michael, where are the PM Board pics? :)

Cheers, Rudi.

VictorB likes this.
  14. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Thank you Mark for the objective review.

I will probably be looking to buy an 18' sometime in the near future.

15. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I'd take the 13! That thing is rad.

That being said, the 18s look great. It's been 3 years and I still want a figured R0. Maybe it's the year.

jenton70 likes this.
  16. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

Should arrive early next week I'm stoked.

Crotch likes this.
  17. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

It's filthy looking. Those are the ones I like. All streaked out.

18. Bigcat2017

Bigcat2017 Member

Like to see the photos!

19. ONEHERO

ONEHERO Member

I have 4 TH from 2015, 2 from 2017 and just got 1 from 2018.
    Guaranteed that each of the TH from 2015 have a way better feel than all others. I know it’s not a popular opinion, but the reality is that they put everything they could on the 2015 TH!!!

Sure the 2017 and 2018 are great, but the missing double carved necks and tops make a difference. Also the TH has rolled AND filed binding making it so smooth. The missing features are basically the “labor-intensive specs” that made the TH amazing (contrary to some say it’s only plastics)

My advice: You’re better off buying a used TH a reasonable price than any other guitar - of course it depends on your budget

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  20. moreles

moreles Senior Member

It's great that Gibson is striving to simply build a guitar that is the same as what they used to produce. Lots of complaints about the list price for these -- and the complaints are totally justified. There are no tricky elements t the build whatsoever, esp. w/ CNC to execute correct contours, etc. Where original spec parts are easily produced, they've done that, while inexplicably refusing to do so where the cost of replicating the "true, historic" components would carry a higher cost. And, of course, there's the inexplicable choice to use EIR boards while offering "true, historic" BRW on other models. What? Listing a compromised historic recreation at $10K is lousy. Good guitars -- offensive profit margin.