2018 Gibson Rumors, Lets Hear Em.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. mudface

mudface Senior Member

That was flipp'n awesome!
    Thanks Pier!:cheers:

PierM likes this.
  2. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

have you seen the Sam Ash threads here? Junior DC has a bound neck, w/o body binding. Go snatch one up.

3. jktxs

jktxs Junior Member

I'm only saying there seems to be such a demographic.
    There was enough demand that Gibson came up with a 24 fret, faster playing guitar with a painfully obvious Les Paul-ish aesthetic, complete with the carved top, trapezoid inlays, open book headstock, Les Paul-ish horns, cherry sunburst and Les Paul marketing words like 'long neck tenon'.
    I agree with you that if Gibson wanted to go modern they should go all the way and design something that doesn't resemble their traditional models.

Les Paul Newb and PierM like this.
  4. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Well said completely agree

PierM likes this.
  5. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Yes it was. Right after the first part I was expecting to hear a Tom Araya'esque "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHhhh"

mudface likes this.
  6. flats750

flats750 Senior Member

I have a buddy who works for Gibson, and last time I saw him, he had one of the modern double cuts with him. I LOVED the neck and would actually be interested in one if they didn't have an outrageous price tag. $3499! Come on Gibson.

We also talked about the company itself moving forward after the 2015 meltdown. He told me there is now another layer of management between Henry and production. (Which, surprisingly, Henry agreed to) He also said NO production products will be coming out of the "custom" shop. They are aiming for a new custom shop release once a month, with production limited to 500 max, with most being limited to around 250. They will announce each new guitar on their Gibson Custom Facebook page every month.

He also said they will be exploring the lower end market like they did with the Firebird Zero and the M2.

Anyway, all grain of salt, but he is usually pretty reliable with his info and I know him well enough to know he is not trying to sell me anything...

7. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

If Epiphone could release the 100$ LP, like they did, maybe Gibson could release a 500$ Gibbo. Same cost ratio as now, 5/1, should be doable and a lot more Gibsons would be sold.

8. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

This is why i buy and use Tokai LP....

zamdrang likes this.
  9. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

Tokais are great but the rep quoted was confused. Gibson has already put out the modern DC as a custom. It'll be an alternate for USA at best, not a replacement for the LP line.

10. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

At my age, if I need another guitar it will be a used Gibson. Probably from the 70's. The new stuff is not what I like or what I need. The truth is I'd lie another 60 doublecut Jr. in Brown please. Or a replacement 57 custom 3.

11. SD456

SD456 Junior Member

This is not exactly a rumor, but Andertons said to me that the 2017's Les Paul Tribute (T) is discontinued. However, Gibson is making a new 2018's Tribute (T and HP, I guess) model(s), but they are going to increase the price of it to £899, from £599.

E-Mail from Andertons;

"... I believe that there will be a replacement 2018 version of the tribute range but as far as the release dates are sadly Gibson do not provide us with an ETA so we are unable to specify when we can get these for you. I can confirm that a 2018 Tribute in Faded Honey Burst will be available for £899 but sadly the spec has not been disclosed yet and we have the stock codes for these on our system."

12. Marker

Marker Member

£599 where?

13. kmasters68

kmasters68 Premium Member

$599 yes but £599? That is a deal!

14. SD456

SD456 Junior Member

It was £599 (GBP) at Andertons before it was discontinued. I really wanted one, but they aren't selling them now.

15. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

Gibson tried that with the M2, and it appears, from social media consensus and Amazon sales rank, that it flopped.

I was tempted, for the same reason that everybody else was: "hey, look! An American-made Gibson in fun colors for $399!"

But they couldn't pull it off.

Now we see lots of forum members, including me, crowing about their new 2015 acquisitions. We love them. Trouble is, we only love them if we can buy them for 45% off. So we're perfectly happy to pay four or five hundred bucks for a Gibson . . . as long as they're really $900 instruments.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  16. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Obviously we do... :) Neck shape, pickups, bridge, nut, weight relief all have a major impact on feel and tone and we all like it a little different. :) Gibson will never make all of us happy.

I have been playing a stripped down PRS s2 for some months now and like it. I kept thinking, if they made 594 type PRS with plain top and no damn birds, I would likely get one. This thing is easy to play and built really well. Then....yesterday....I pulled out the 2016 Traditional and tuned it to DADGAD. HOLY SHITE. OK, nothing sounds like a Les Paul.... So, there really is no replacement for an LP, but I still would like to see some new options out there. I am going to try one of those double-cut models out, if I ever see it in person. Who cares if it is ugly.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  17. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

Should be archtops that perhaps sounds even better, why doesn't everyone by those? Oh, they're even more expensive, fragile and have feedback issues. The LP do have a beautiful tone, for being just a log of wood.

18. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

Yes, it must have been a flop as I had missed it completely, while no connoisseur/expert I do have some basic knowledge about what's on the market. The M2, I have never seen.

19. wilmacat16

wilmacat16 Junior Member

I'm assuming you're in the UK?

Have you tried looking at other stores? Here in the states they are still pretty readily available...

Very curious as to whether or not the price difference will be justified. The tribute seemed to be the perfect guitar for the price...

20. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

It was released this spring. I think it was/is an Amazon exclusive. At least, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRWJQ3Q/?tag=mylespaul04-20

Lots of us got excited until the first reviews started rolling in.

xeizo likes this.