2018 Gibson Rumors, Lets Hear Em.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. gball

gball Senior Member

^^ That is simply awesome!

mudface likes this.
  2. djem

djem Senior Member

I agree that the quality and affordability of great guitars is better now than ever. My point is that for anyone coming into the game now has to wade through so much more than I did back in the late 80s when I started to collect guitars and amps. The choices for purchasing LPs back then were a lot simpler.

Going off topic here, but take a look at the options there are for Strats nowadays. American, American/Mexican, Mexican and then probably at least 3/4 Asian variants.

It's the way of a globalized economy and we can't turn back time. The other great thing is that kids getting into it now are way more informed with the internet and can avoid getting scammed.

3. djem

djem Senior Member

Same thing for amps. For in the house play the options you have nowadays with modelling amps is incredible.

in the late 70s/early 80s i had a really basic 7 watt solid state amp (no OD, no reverb) when i grew up. it did not inspire me to play. my guitar just sat around gathering dust. i even let my friend borrow it for a year once....lol.

anyway, one summer, think it was 1986/87 i borrowed my neighbour's 12W Peavy Bandit. plugged into it and turned the drive up and put in some reverb and i literally stayed in the basement the whole weekend because i actually had a similar tone to my guitar heros. That little amp changed everything. Soon after, i got a Roland Cube 60 with a Boss DS-1 pedal. I was set!

I'm quite certain that my playing would be much different now if I had something like an iRig back then.

4. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I had a Bandit and a Electro Harmonix Flanger (Electric Mistress) cool little combo at the time'82-'83.

5. wilmacat16

wilmacat16 Junior Member

6. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

I don't think Gibson will have much success with that modern double cut thing they pushing in 2018 Let's be honest it's some sort of juicy nightmare les paulocaster that looks PRS called up and threw in a few design ideas too

7. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

A guy at Sam Ash once told me I could use a volume pedal as an atennuator, and place it between my amp and cab (which I did not end up doing). I never went back there.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  8. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

I wouldn't mind picking up one of the Modern Double Cuts if they were priced more reasonably. I don't see any reason for them to cost that much.

Les Paul Newb and Donal like this.
  9. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

People will believe anything if it's on the internet.

10. jktxs

jktxs Junior Member

Although the modern double cut looks ugly this is imo a step in the right direction for Gibson.
    Les Pauls will always be there but with increasing demands from younger, more technically advanced players the typical Gibson guitar just doesn't cut it. Of course others can argue that's not what Gibson is about but demand for traditional models will not last forever.
    The cutaway needs to be deeper so the player can actually reach the 24th fret and the headstock should be sexier (Firebird, Explorer, V or a completely new design). That open book headstock looks so out of place.

11. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

If ever there was a guitar suffering from an identity crisis, the double cut is it. I agree with the comments about the headstock looking out of place. Something more refined and modern looking would vastly improve the overall aesthetic, imo.

12. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I've nothing against progress but that modern double cut is modern just in the name (but as I said I kinda like it). There is nothing really modern in that concept, nor any improvement for "advanced players" whatever this means.

Technically speaking, a Les Paul Standard HP is way more modern than this.

13. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

Oh, and fret over binding. Get rid of those god awful nibs.

shickma0 likes this.
  14. jktxs

jktxs Junior Member

Just a hunch, I thought younger players would prefer the slimmer neck, 24 frets and double cut, especially the ones more into virtuoso type playing.

15. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Then you don't need a Les Paul.

The Les Paul shape never been designed for shredders and will never be, double cut or not. You would need a such transformation in so many compartments that you would end with something that has nothing to do with a Les Paul. Mid '80 Super Strats with carved bodies, and all shredder approach was the most correct transition, but we are not in the '80/'90 Malmsteen years anymore (thank Lord LOL). Keeping a Les Paul base, I don't think you can go more modern than a Axcess Les Paul, or a HP, or the 2015's, without making the entire thing a nonsense, especially if compared to those guitars which are born to shred and that they are already in the market since early '80.

A Les Paul it's like a violin; it's a classic design with plenty of limits and flaws. Take it or leave it. Modern design usually works when it's drawn from scratch.

Gibson, if really wants to go modern, needs to have the balls to start from a white piece of paper...but again, I personally think everything it's already in the market, by quite a while.

1all's Pub, irocdave12 and mudface like this.
  16. mudface

mudface Senior Member

You can shred on a Les Paul, it just takes way more effort, and i know kids are way too LAZY for all that.
    Les Paul himself could shred pretty good, he just didn't use a lot of saturated gain( just think if he did:laugh2:).

But you are right Pier, The LP wasn't designed with that in mind, (either was the Strat), it was intended for jazz players who didn't like it either.
    And I totally agree with you that a completely new inspired design should be considered for those who want that.

pillbug and PierM like this.
  17. Shamati

Shamati Member

The fender Strat wasn't designed for shredders either, yet Yngwie Malmsteen chose to buy 1 Fender rather than be given Japanese superstrats for free. The Les Paul is perfect for shredding. Listen to Testament's Skolnick & Zakk Wylde.

It's sad that Gibson let Asian copies like the LTD eclipse etc take what should be been their product that appeal to the younger players like Andy James etc. Gibson could've made a 24 fret LP with access heel, back of the body carve, satin neck, 500T/498R pickups, string tree to allow stable tuning etc. They've done similar things with the Buckethead Les Paul & why not mass produced? They can still offer traditional guitars. The Les Paul just sounds way better than any superstrat for whatever distorted tone & it's the most classy looking guitar.

18. PierM

PierM Premium Member

You don't have to convince me. I can shred even on a banjo.

I was replying to the other guy, so you should tell this to him.

What I'm saying is that the Les Paul it's not meant to shred. A Ibanez RG is. Then they are both electric guitars, so of course there is nothing preventing you to play faster and make some noise.

mudface likes this.
  19. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Absolutely!

Now I want a banjo.

jdto and PierM like this.
  20. PierM

PierM Premium Member

:dude::dude::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

James R, pillbug and mudface like this.