2018 Gibson Rumors, Lets Hear Em.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. lord-humongous

lord-humongous Member

Those new Slash single coil Epi is interesting. I presume this is something resulting from Gibson endorsing Slash as a brand embassador. Maybe something made in the USA along those lines would be a seller. As for the PRS style double cut, whatever it's called, although it may be a great guitar, it makes no sense to me coming from Gibson.

ToneasaurusRex likes this.
  2. coxster

coxster Junior Member

I'm ready for one of these : )

Les Paul Newb and RustyNuts like this.
  3. Hydra19

Hydra19 Senior Member

I don't bother with gibsons anymore. Too many models, too confusing. Navigator makes what I want, which is as close to possible to the 50s to 60s construction. Most gibsons feel like a step in the wrong direction unless it's reissues and custom shop which becomes too expensive

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    VancoD likes this.
  4. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Silver Supporter

Link on the single-coil Slash model? I did a little searching and couldn't find it.

On the new Modern Double-Cut, I have an open mind. I'd try it.

Gibson (arguably the entire guitar industry), has been defined by the tense tug-of-war between tradition and innovation. How many of us would love to own a late-50s Explorer or Flying V?

5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

They are available on the stores.

6. Bigcat2017

Bigcat2017 Junior Member

Actually it sounds good:
    And this shape is not that new to Gibson, looks very similar the Tak Matsumoto signature model.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  7. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

If it's a SG that's actually balanced and not neck heavy, count me in.

8. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I actually like the concept, but I would never pay that much for it. Also that clown rim it's terrible. :)

9. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

I have a blue Studio that always gets comments when I break it out in public. Don't see many blue LPs.

10. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

To me this is a "wtf Gibson?" Moment.

They make this cool looking "modern" double cut, and stick with the same old string pull through the nut. They should've made the whole thing "modern". Meaning make your own "string butler" type gizmo or redesign the tuner placement or SOMETHING. Hell its "modern". While you're at it, sand down the heel for smooth access.

ChrissDR and mudface like this.
  11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

They're trying to please both sides of the fence, and in the process they build this skitzo model instead of going full-tilt modern.
    Which I agree with you, would probably be more acceptable.

shickma0 likes this.
  12. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Senior Member

Kind of curious who you spoke to now since I was talking with someone at my store from Corporate Sam Ash yesterday as well about the same thing.

13. bwillard

bwillard Senior Member

14. gball

gball Senior Member

Personally, I am so sick of the idea that everything has to be like the '50's/'60's that this would bore me to death and I wouldn't be interested in buying any of them. I like Les Pauls, but I don't play my father's music, so why would I want his guitar? If they are going to copy their own past I would love to see them for once embrace the fact that the Norlin-era guitars were awesome, but mostly want them to modernize the line even more than they have and stop being limited by the things they did 60 freaking years ago, but it seems guitar players remain stuck in their ways so that's not going to happen in any meaningful way...instead we'll get what happened in 2015 or with the HP line instead of a true rethinking of what Gibson could be. Things like the HP heel are a real improvement, but we won't get it on all models unfortunately simply because someone didn't think of it in 1958.

15. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Used guitar market is out there people...

I would have liked the self tuning guitar gimick if it actually worked in real situations.

16. djem

djem Senior Member

I rarely look at new Gibson stuff. All I can say is that I'm happy I picked up the LPs that I did in the past.

Don't really have any interest in anything that is new. There seems to be WAY too much out there and the lines seemed to be getting blurrier by the year.

Really feel sorry for some kid that's getting into it now.

zamdrang likes this.
  17. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Assuming kids today actually play guitar, they have it better than any time in history. The number of great affordable guitars is astounding.

18. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

Something we ignore around here is plenty of kids are playing guitar, they just aren't playing GnR and Zeppelin and they aren't leaning Gibson like they used to. Gibson makes the best guitars for my money but there are so many other quality options that it's not necessary to spend as much as we do to get a good sound.

19. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I used to play my dad's guitar all the time, and it drove him nuts, he thought i was breaking it. Feedback through a Hi-Watt 100 full tilt.
    It was a'56 tele and i loved it, to me it was the fastest guitar i ever played. When he played my '78 Custom LP it sounded like his tele when he played Buck Owens through his Vibro Champ. My '78 Custom didn't sound like that when i played it!

20. mudface

mudface Senior Member

048.JPG
    This is my very old '78 Custom

GS1, Veeing Fly, ramaglia375 and 4 others like this.