2018 Gibson Rumors, Lets Hear Em.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. aceinet

aceinet Member

I'm all for a regular production run of the Modern. I might be one of the few who actually likes it, just not the Custom Shop price.

I'll take the $100 Taco Bell gift card as well. :headbanger:

ben.jammin and mudface like this.
  2. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

The term "Standard" pre-dates the modern guitar bearing its name. To many, and particularly from a historical perspective, "Standard" means a guitar built like a 52-60 LP (aka what the modern Reissues are now). So if they were to move the "Standard" to the CS it would only be moving the name "Standard" (as they already have for 2017: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...Standard-Historic-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx) and not the modern weight relieved model with push-pull pots, etc.

I think that we will indeed see more dramatic colors. Which is cool. As long as they still offer the classic LP colors (HCS, HB, TB, IT, etc) the more the merrier I guess. I'm a real "traditionalist" when it comes to LPs and just prefer the more old school colors on mine... but the Blueberry Burst, Green Ocean Burst, and Seafoam Green colors they offered in 2017 were awesome and tempted even traditional old me! :D Will be interesting to see what others crazy colors they come out with in 2018.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  3. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

It would still make zero sense to move the Standard tag, as building a guitar with modern weight relief, push-pull pots, etc. and naming it "Traditional" wouldn't make any sense. The introduction of the Traditional nameplate in the Gibson USA line was to tell people precisely that this guitar is built like it used to be. So what are they going to name the Traditional?

shickma0 likes this.
  4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Assuming that this rumor is even true (which it may well not be)... then if they moved the Standard nameplate to the CS, they may well not even replace it in the USA lineup and just make Trads and Studios, etc. And/or maybe leave only the Standard HP in the USA lineup and make it the "progressive" standard-bearer (pardon the pun).

At any rate, like I said, this rumor could all be BS anyway, so who knows what they'd do. But it's important to remember that the Standard as it currently exists today in the USA lineup has only been this way for the past 9 years (i.e., modern WR, push-pull, asym neck, etc). Prior to that, for rest of LP history, it was just what a regular LP was. So reclaiming the term Standard to stand for a traditionally built CS LP is reasonable. Now, again, whether this is all BS anyway who knows... probably! LO! :cheers:

5. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

Historicly the Standard has always been the progressive, ever evolving guitar. The Traditional as we know it today is simply a point in that evolution created in 2008 to represent the specs from the early 80s through 2006 (with some updates here and there that started in 2013). As for the currently existing Gibson USA Standard, it has only existed since 2012 with modern weight relief, push/pull etc. The current CS Standards (previous known as Historics) just represent other points in the evolution of the Standard, 1954-1960.

Now the limited run CS standards in the new colors are a different ball of wax, but not far off from other CS Standards that were made in recent years along with the Historics. See the CS makes its own Standard and has for many years. The CS just doesn't offer it every year, but when they did, it coexisted with the Gibson USA Standard and the CS Historic. Gibson has confused things a lot in 2017 by changing Historics to the "Standard" while offering newer CS Stndards and Gibson USA Standards. I hope they think this through better for 2018.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

At least it's not another permanent hologram!

Birdseyeview and mudface like this.
  7. Zac911

Zac911 Junior Member

Completely agree. It's pretty much the only new Gibson I would consider buying.

Badlionsfan likes this.
  8. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

The CrApple rumor mill claims that CrApple is going to buy Gibson and build iPhoney's into each upper range guitar and them price them retail at 10 times the cost of manufacture in good CrApple historical style. Manufacturing will of course be moved to China where 12 year old's will be the fine craftsmen making them at a Foxconn sweatshop factory 24 hours a day.

Now being that rumors are that CrApple is always buying someone to get tech instead of innovating it themselves - NeXt, SIRI, Claris, Final Cut, Emagic (Logic Pro/Garage Band), SoundJam, Novauris, Beats, etc etc. - thought this is was a pretty good chance it would happen. CrApple the great iNOvator.

9. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

All of this standard vs trad talk makes me realize that "standard" "Traditional" and "Classic" all pretty much mean the same thing. ‍♂️

RustyNuts likes this.
  10. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Hell, the 2015's should have come with a $100 StewMac gift card...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    shickma0, chef, redjunior and 5 others like this.
  11. Badlionsfan

Badlionsfan Senior Member

12. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Member

Is anyone else happy about the big supply of used Gibsons out there with great specs and wood that has had some years to age a little and that are available without selling a kidney?

13. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

I don't follow Gibson and the LP every day... years can go by between my checking out the latest. And over the last two or more decades of doing that one thing has become obvious.. Standard, traditional, classic, custom, reissue... Its all just wood and wires configured to what we recognize as a LP. Yet each new PUP and LP is touted as the holy grail...and we the sheep eat it up for the most part. I could really give a damn what they call it... Splitting hairs over long tenons or TH plastics and the like has always come across to me like a load of shit that has zero bearing on whether the guitar inspires you or not. How about they just make guitars that sound good and are affordable? The whole LP things has almost become a parody of itself thanks to Gibson, its disengenous marketing and the public willingness to along with it.

pillbug and Blushingmule like this.
  14. mitchguitar13

mitchguitar13 Junior Member

I'm sure this has be thrown out before (and probably more than once) but what do you all think the reality of success would be if:

A. Gibson released there late 50s/early 60s lineup as a shot for shot remake.
    - LP Standards in different burst finishes, colors and such, but they're all 58-60 specs.
    - LP Standards, Customs, Juniors and Specials
    - SGs, Standards, Customs, Juniors and Specials
    - ES Lineup
    - Explorers
    - V's
    - Acoustic
    - Firebirds

B. Gibson released a supplemented late 50s/early 60s lineup with the above but also
    - Les Paul Moderne (as mentioned above)
    - LP Studios
    - A few others?

And the custom shop went back to making custom orders. Made to measure, collector's choice, or I literally call them up and have them build what I want.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on whether or not this would remotely work. It's what we all talk about constantly, but would it actually be a sound business plan?

pillbug, Blushingmule and 73Fender like this.
  15. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Depends. Will there be hide glue?

Just kidding. In all seriousness, I think either of your scenarios would result in huge buzz & interest. I would image that buzz would result in sales, but that's just like... my opinion man.

16. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

Because those colors have been extremely successful, I doubt Henry would elect to continue them. That would make way too much sense.

shickma0 and Les Paul Newb like this.
  17. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

My wants are simple: Offer some of the lower priced Studios/Tribute/Juniors/etc. with neck binding only. I love binding but, neck binding only is a nice touch to offer, like some of the SGs.

shickma0 and pillbug like this.
  18. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

All I want is a 50's spec'd single cut LP Junior with a proper vintage sunburst finish or a TV doublecut available on all markets (not just limited editions) and not priced like we were all Rotshchilds:dunno:. Actually, I'd be ok with non-traditional finishes too :hmm:.

19. Dineley

Dineley Senior Member

Explorers in the fancy finishes please. Or white with richlite board.

More finish options. Keep up with PRS or at least try.

20. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I agree that some of us would love this market plan, but Mr J. no longer wants to sales-target "some of us". Mr J. wants to target the generation that likes extended options of the same product. The same group of people who need 50 shades of blue before they decide on red. I would vote a big yes for your plan Mitch, but who am I?.............:cheers:..............I like my blue...........blue.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Les Paul Newb likes this.