2018 Gibson Rumors, Lets Hear Em.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

I was told some weird info yesterday by a well respected figure who works for Sam Ash corporate. We were talking about recent changes at Gibson, Henery's insanity, failure to note their customer base's preferences, etc.

He said he talks about this stuff often with Sam Ash's Gibson representative, who is also a personal friend.

I brought up 2015 and specifically the neck & lower fret wire. I said Gibson knows damn well what we want. We want LPs that are based on 58-60' full stop. Make long tenons standard. Use nice pots, switches, & wiring, no mother of toilet seat, bone or other good nut material, good hardware. He whispered sadly "Just wait till the 2018s".

"Oh no..... what?" I responded.
    He continued to whisper that there will be no 2018 reissues. I should of pressed for more clarification. But he continued. "The shape is different." What do you mean the shape is different?

He said the craziest shit, "The bottom half is a les paul, the top is a strat."

"Huh?"

"Yeah the body looks exactly like a LP, until you get to the double cutaways and strat shaped horns."

He made it sound like 2015, meaning it's across-the-board changes. But it HAS to be a new model he's referring to. I couldnt imagine them changing the iconic shape, even for a year. I'm assuming its BS. Maybe a ploy. Like "buy 2017s while they're still around", but he never used that angle.

Anyhow, what have you heard about 2018? Good? Bad? Crazy?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Christosterone likes this.
  2. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Maybe he was talking about the Modern Double Cut. Could also be they'll do a USA version of this guitar instead the typical USA standard, and then force people to buy Standards from the Custom Shop, as those they are doing now, tagged in the average 4/5K price range. Basically as they did in the past with the Les Paul regular Custom Black Beauty.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

That has to be what he's referring to. He made it sound like that's the new shape across the board.

4. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

That's what I was thinking as well. I saw those at NAMM last year but never saw them available anywhere.

5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

This would totally explain why Henry wanted the Reissue word being removed from the Gibson vocabulary, because would allow moving the Gibson Les Paul Standard to an upper range (as the regular Customs) for people who wants the icons, while using the USA line for "futurable" stuff.

If you take a look to the custom shop web, these days, you'll see they are flooding with "les paul standard" stuff, in various versions, chambered, modern, paint over etc... and then they are distributing the classic Standards CS (previously named as Reissue/Historic) all around the world.

Point is, if they do remove the lower ranges as well (traditionals, classic etc...), would be a jump off the cliff.

SPECULATION MODE OFF/

6. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

Did I read somewhere that we're also getting a bunch of 7 string models in 2018 (LPs, Explorers, Vs, SGs...)?

7. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

If they do, I would be interested.

8. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Well a european store put up the 2018 ESs by mistake a few weeks ago, They are gone again but here is the screenshot.

2018Thomann.jpg

Looks like interesting greens and blues remain. Let`s see for the LPs.

paruwi likes this.
  9. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I've heard arms are the new legs in 2018.

10. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

You guys realize the Standard is not built to traditional spec, that is why the Traditional exists. So to say they are going to do away with the re-issues and move the Standard line into Custom Shop territory makes no sense whatsoever. If anything they would take the Traditional up to the Custom Shop line to replace the re-issues.

11. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

If that's the new direction of Gibson standards then i will stick with classics, trads, and customs(some Nashville, some Memphis)

Other than this model, I like up and down the lineup traditional (pun intended)
    And I still haven't pulled the trigger simply because of the diamond holes...but this is the first non les Paul I've really wanted since BB Kings first 345 with the diamond headstock..

But that fender top above is not doing it for me....

[​IMG]

-Chris

Gtarzan81 and mgenet like this.
  12. gball

gball Senior Member

Not all of us. What I want more than anything is for them to do more with maple necks, would even prefer a 3-piece, volute and all. And I don't want pickups that mimic PAF's. That's been done to soggy death. Give me a proper T-Top reissue, please.

I don't suppose they will ever do a USA version of something close to a Norlin-era guitar, but that's what tops my personal wish list.

As for 2018, I have no idea but I always love to see what they roll out.

flats750, 73171 and PermissionToLand like this.
  13. skydog

skydog Senior Member

I'm all for Gibson moving forward. There's a bunch of reissues on the used market covering just about every model ever made. If they keep copying the past, there will be no present or future.

Leumas likes this.
  14. Badlionsfan

Badlionsfan Senior Member

Gold Top standard with p-90's please!

I'll never know why this isn't available every year all year....

15. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

16. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Senior Member

I think by 2020 you will see Fender or Gibson going out of business(they both owe lots of money and nobodys buying guitars}.I am sure Guitar Center will be gone by then................................JT

17. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

endial likes this.
  18. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

The only difference that Tribute has from a Standard is the Tribute actually comes with the 9 hole weight relief instead of the ultra modern, the finish is matte and the Standard uses the new asymmetrical slim taper neck with compound radius fretboard where the Tribute comes with a slim taper.

19. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

I think it'd be great if they stopped making Les Paul models for a while and tried something new. I for one could use a break.

Kris Ford likes this.
  20. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

I have heard from a close friend (met once for two minutes) who is the cousine of a guy who works as a cleaner at Sam Ash that there will be a five string, next year.

The 2018's will also come in a paper bag with Gibson Lifestyle Condoms.