2018 Gibson Explorer?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by ciscodudewan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

Mine is a 2008 and it is a great guitar, it has a great voice unplugged. It still has the stock pickups though which do not really let that voice come through since they have a lot of gain. I added covers to the pickups right after I bought the guitar and this 2018 model has really made me want to remove the gold plating on the hardware, I had a Gibson gold pickup cover laying around, tried Brasso metal polish on it and the gold comes right off to reveal the nickel plating.

rjohnpurdy likes this.
  2. rjohnpurdy

rjohnpurdy Junior Member

I thought I'd show the 2018 left-handed Explorers do exist.

upload_2017-12-30_12-7-48.png upload_2017-12-30_12-8-5.png

cnote, UKPortista and endial like this.
  3. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Another one. 2018 Explorer - shockingly good guitar. Best sustain in an Explorer I've had. Burstbucker pickups are perfect for the guitar - I swapped out some parts, nothing was wrong with the original aluminum bridge /steel posts, or the steel studs/aluminum tailpiece. Not sure when Gibson USA moved on from pot metal parts, but that plus the Burstbuckers puts them in a different league than the past.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  4. cnote

cnote Premium Member

rjohnpurdy - what a great first left-handed Gibson - I'm over the moon with mine, but with the wait you've had for Gibson to do this for lefties, I imagine you're even higher than me.

rjohnpurdy likes this.
  5. rjohnpurdy

rjohnpurdy Junior Member

Thank you and yes, I am still pinching myself. I jumped back in after around 25 years of not having my Ibanez lefty bass I bought around '84 or so, which I really never took serious and lost a few years later. Now, I've been sober for 9 years and I have been learning/playing with a passion again for the past few years. I never thought I would hold a left-handed Gibson Explorer and now I own one. It is the "Coolest" item I have and may possibly always be, and I'm okay with that. :) What an amazing instrument. Gibson, I Love you!!!

One last edit...I saw where someone wrote about static and such and putting in some shielding and mine will need to be done as well. Other than that I love the neck on my lefty. The craftsman that rolled the edges of the frets and the fingerboard on mine knew what they were doing. Top kudos to that craftsman.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    endial likes this.
  6. rjohnpurdy

rjohnpurdy Junior Member

That is a beautiful one indeed and the grain pops out with the natural finish on the Explorers. It's very nice to see that the right-handed versions are getting excellent reviews as well.

7. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Some pics in daylight, with some cosmetic and hardware changes. Still really like the baked granadillo/grenadillo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Deserved some Centralabs and a Black Beauty.Now THAT'S the taper.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    UKPortista, endial and rjohnpurdy like this.
  8. toadfish

toadfish Junior Member

Can't help but think we don't get wood like that on guitars in Australia! All the ones I seen in Europe the wood was terrible! Miss matched and even knotted! (Should have purchased a good one when I was in Europe as when we got back I found out GIBSON Australia won't be importing ANY Gibson guitars in 2018!) Pity Australian's get the seconds/ B stock guitars we get from Gibson! I may just buy a Michael Stevens one!

Attached Files:

9. toadfish

toadfish Junior Member

I will add that this picture was a group of guys who authenticated guitars and restored them! In the late 60s and 70s! Not copied them!!!!!! They are legitimate Korina Gibson's made in the 50s I believe? This picture was entrusted to me! As a historical history of the guitars that people like me have never seen! And I appreciate the thought!