2018 Gibson Explorer?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by ciscodudewan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Hangers

Hangers Senior Member

Nice axes! Like the chrome hardware. Put on a black pick guard and its all good!

2018 so we wont see them in Canada for another year =(

I recall seeing a picture of Ace back in the day with a similar looking explorer.

2. Egg

Egg Member

I just got one yesterday. I had a little trouble at first with the toggle cutting out on the bridge pickup, but it seems to have cleaned itself up with use. A bit odd. Otherwise, it's a really nice guitar. The Grenadillo fretboard is very close to rosewood in feel and appearance. Would fool most people. The Burstbuckers sound great, very classic PAF tone, not heavy at all (prob around 7.5-8lbs tops), comes with a beautiful brown/pink hardshell case that is the traditional pool table-sized Explorer version. Also they've included a black leather strap and very nice multi-tool in a black velvet pouch. Very good fit and finish, feels like a Gibson should. Only gripes were the toggle issue and the nut looking/feeling a bit cheap and maybe a bit tall.

UKPortista likes this.
  3. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

Congrats...do you have any photos of your new acquisition please sir?

4. Egg

Egg Member

This is the only one at the moment, someone took this when i was playing it last night. I swapped the knobs and toggle tip from the black it came with-

[​IMG]

5. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

That's really nice...love the natural finish.

6. djsuckapunch

djsuckapunch Senior Member

7. djsuckapunch

djsuckapunch Senior Member

8. ciscodudewan

ciscodudewan Senior Member

That is Sweet !

9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

His was a Ibanez. Model 2459/Destroyer
    [​IMG]

Hangers likes this.
  10. rjohnpurdy

rjohnpurdy Junior Member

I've pre-ordered a left-handed 2018 Explorer and it's my first Gibson. I've got a little lefty Epi Special II I refurbished, a Schecter Solo-6 Custom lefty, and a Chapman lefty ML1. Of the three I have so far I prefer the Schecter over the others but the little Epi turned out to be a nice little guitar after replacing the nut and the tuners and doing a complete overhaul.

I'm taking a big leap of faith ordering a $1,399 guitar sight unseen but being left-handed it's something I have had to get used to. I've always wanted an Explorer and would you know it, just when I almost ordered an Explorer shaped lefty from another company Gibson announced quietly that all of the 2018 models will be available as lefties. It almost seems too good to be true.

I'll post pictures once and if it comes.

11. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

That natural finish is awesome.
    But I'm selling my 2017 model. Can't pass over the glossy/thicker finish and the thin neck.

12. gball

gball Senior Member

It's funny, I usually have this same reaction when I see a spec like that at first, then I remind myself that if Gibson used Grenadillo in the 1950's we'd all be pissed off about the Brazilian Rosewood they'd be using now when the supply dwindled. I really do want to try one of these explorers, though.

rjohnpurdy and jimmer_5 like this.
  13. gball

gball Senior Member

Yeah, I think the DF is possibly the most inaccurately named pickup in history. It's the cleanest-sounding, loudest PAF-ish tone I have ever heard, not at all a high "distortion" pickup.

14. MrYeats

MrYeats Member

I love old Southern Rock and Blues. These DF's are the closest to the Duane Allman sound I have heard.

gball likes this.
  15. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Junior Member

Awesome! I just want to say that I picked one up about a month ago. I absolutely love it! Looks right, plays right, & sounds right. My only gripe is some smudging? on the headstock....very close to the nut, but it's pretty minor. I usually prefer A5 pups, but I really like the way the BB 2/3's sound. It came stock with 9's so I have to change it to 10's. I bought it for $1399, but I just noticed that they are selling for $1539 now?! I love the case candy - a Gibson tool set, a picture of my actual guitar that was on the inspection bench at Gibson, paperwork, a nice guitar strap, etc. Very nice! I've been playing it mostly at home through my 50W Marshall Vintage Modern combo and it's absolutely amazing! This was the look I've been seeking for a long time! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    rjohnpurdy likes this.
  16. Troy T. Blues

I'm curious....what exactly is this trick? Thanks

17. fretout

fretout Senior Member

Put the lower strap over the front of the body (instead of behind it), so that it holds the Explorer back and towards you.

Whenever I saw anyone does this, it always reminded me of the way of Matthias Jabs painted his explorer.

Troy T. Blues likes this.
  18. Troy T. Blues

Thanks, but I still can’t figure out how to do that. :(

19. Tonelover

Tonelover Senior Member

20. Troy T. Blues

Wow! Cool! I never knew about that! Thanks so much! :)