2018 Gibson Explorer?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by ciscodudewan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ciscodudewan

ciscodudewan Senior Member

your idol and Who like this.
  2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Seems really interesting spec wise.......

Aluminum bridge and tailpiece, cryogenically dipped frets, and the torrified grenadilla finger board is a nice touch, as well as the nickel hardware instead of the gold that usually comes with the natural finishes.

I'd love to have one myself!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    BWOTW and MUSTANGCAT like this.
  3. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

A little hat tilt to the vintage realm with the BB's and aluminum.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  4. Malchik

Malchik Senior Member

Very nice Explorer, a little new, a little old.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  5. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

I love the color, and I like everything but the granadillo fretboard. I am sure it's fine, but I would prefer Rosewood. Burstbuckers are a nice touch.

6. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

It looks like a real beauty. I like the finish on it also. I'm sure the BBs sound very good also.

ciscodudewan likes this.
  7. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

+1 on the BB's. I had a 120 model pass through my hands and it came stock with A-5 BB-Pro's. They sounded pretty good for a nice all around Rock N' Roll sound. This years issue uses A-2, BB's (2&3) and i'm wondering if they are going be wax potted. iirc, the A-2 BB, 1,2 and 3 are not wax potted.

ciscodudewan likes this.
  8. Tonelover

Tonelover Senior Member

I have one sitting here. I'm not one for detailed technical reviews but it seems to be of better quality than some other Gibson USA production line models I've tried which felt really cheap. What caught my eye is that it's as close as I've seen to an Allen Collins sort of look, not quite natural but close enough, white pick guard, chrome hardware. Doesn't have a huge neck which I'd prefer but for that you have to go for a Custom Shop at more than twice the price. The grenadillo is different looking, a little orangy and lighter than rosewood but not hideous and funky like obeche which was on the 2012 Explorer Tremolo. I'll be replacing the knobs with vintage amber top hats and have already put my favorite pickup (Bare Knuckle Nailbomb) in the bridge. With coupons and other discount I was able to muster I think I paid just over $1,100. Hardshell case included. For that sort of price I don't see any real reason to complain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Mockbel, BWOTW, Guitaraxe and 2 others like this.
  9. Tonelover

Tonelover Senior Member

Just to add, it weighs 8 lbs 14 ounces. I ran in to something which temporarily caused some serious concerns and that was the location of the strap buttons. Due to my bulging stomach, when wearing it on a strap it wanted to lean forward and down facing making it hard to see the fretboard without constantly holding on to it. I debated whether to move the upper button but really didn't want to drill a hole. Using the strap over the lower horn trick seems to work fine fortunately.

10. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Rocks!

+1 on the strap over horn tech'. Works like a charm!

11. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

How did the BB#2/BB#3 combo work? I was thinking 'bout putting them on my '17 (or, better, BB#1+BB#3).

Nice point of Natural..reminds me of the korina model.

12. fretout

fretout Senior Member

That looks amazing! I really wish they would have continued with the Rosewood Fretboards as well, but Grenadillo is miles ahead of Richlite and baked maple IMHO.

13. Tonelover

Tonelover Senior Member

They're not my cup of tea, as a matter of fact they'll be available for sale soon! The finish does have more of an amber hue to it than it appears in my picture. It's not an outright light natural shade. I wish it was.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  14. zakk_attack

Hi,
    Unfortunately, I'm too far to pick 'em up.
    Can you get a little deeper in judging them?
    How do they sound, compared to the older ceramics (496R/500T, or 496R/496T of the 2017s) or to SD's '59s?

15. Tonelover

Tonelover Senior Member

I don't know enough about the other pickups you mentioned to compare. I just need something with higher output and more crunch.

16. MSB

MSB Senior Member

looks nice, but my goodness, when will they make one with a '50s neck? I love them, but short of buying a reissue, I can't get along with the tiny necks.

17. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

I remember when I was still there that USA made a one-off, no serial # korina Ex in 2002 that they were planning on making until Edwin and Rick Gembar raised holy hell and made them stop. It was brought up to Elgin where I was at. I have pics I'll have to dig up but it was a beauty!

18. zakk_attack

Well, ok. Sorry if I'm getting a bit "heavy", but..was the BB3 harsh and ice pick-y, or was it quite rounded? Were they properly balanced in volume?

In order to stay in Gibson's playground, you should probably try the 496R/500T combo. More output and crounch, definately.

That's exactly what I always thought. Probably because the most part of Explorer users are metalheads who don't want chunky necks - plus, they gotta keep flying high Korina's appearance.

19. MrYeats

MrYeats Member

The Dirty Fingers in my Vee are totally clean AND crunchy. A lot of output while maintaining good tone.

gball likes this.
  20. Tonelover

Tonelover Senior Member

The BB's didn't seem ice pick-y and they were balanced just fine. My ears are just used to something else and they seemed anemic compared to the Nailbombs. Funny how perspective changes, 57 Classics used to be my favorite and now I even replace those.

For some reason, Guitar Center and MusiciansFriend have upped the price on these to $1,539. Everyone else is still $1,399.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017