2018 Custom Shop Models

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by lawrev, Aug 28, 2017.

1. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

Hi Everyone,
    When do the 2018 Custom Shop models come out? I did a search by this title and I don't see a discussion. Unless it was in the mega Will Henry Kill the CS? thread. Thanks!
    Jim

2. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

Probably more chance of John Travolta coming out of the closet in 2017, than 2018 CS models.

mrfett and Crotch like this.
  3. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

2018 Gibson custom shop models?

[​IMG]

4. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

You Think I'm Funny???!

Theses no way Gibson is even thinking about 18's yet....but who knows

5. lpthomas

lpthomas Member

With limited releases there's no real fixed lineup for one year anyway. I'd be fine with that.

6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

They'll have a 60 year anniversary of everything that Gibson created in 1958, along with a $100 Taco Bell gift card.

KS 5150, RAG7890 and Sct13 like this.
  7. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

The reason I ask is that someone at the GC Nashville store told me they already have some 2018s in, but we didn't have an indepth discussion about it.

8. mudface

mudface Senior Member

They're USA models, not custom shop models that have an early release.

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Maybe Right After all the TM Painted and Aged (IIRC 130 pcs.) Are sold ???
    :jam::lol::naughty:

Not being funny now , But If there aren't enough 2017's around . Gibson will be making less ,IMO . Which is part of the plan (M2M for everyone:cheers2:) .... I wouldn't wait for 2018 . Unless you feel that higher prices for Gibson guitars ,get you a better guitar ...

Found this today , Although nit an Historic ,,,It might tell you something about the future of Gibson ....

RAG7890 likes this.
  10. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

There's barely any mention from Gibson about the 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul's, even there was a seemingly a lot to talk about, and it's practically September. Standard Historics got many of the features of the True Historics. That's kind of big news, no?

My 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard (BTW, the COA just says "Les Paul Standard" with the serial number, signed by Rick Gembar), is in the Dirty Lemon finish. That's not even listed on the Gibson site as a finish option. But it IS a M2M finish option (maybe the dealers can custom order what they want?).

Regardless, 2017 seemed like a perfect opportunity to promote the new Custom Shop Les Pauls, especially since it looks like they put a LOT of effort into making them really nice. Maybe that's a sign of Gibson not having a lot of marketing budget in a particularly difficult year.

I've always loved the Gibson brand and consider myself lucky to have gotten my LP with the 2017 features, which make for an outstanding instrument. But I can't see them making any more changes for 2018 that would be beneficial to the consumer, with the exception of pricing to make the CS instruments more accessible.

11. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Eh eh....

What happened to me last week, with a new purchase, was mind blowing. Much worse than what you have on this video, much much worse. I've decided to not publish this stuff because at this point it's clear that Gibson has a serious QC problem and I hope they'll manage to sort it out for 2018 and I'm also tired to beat the dead horse...

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I don't mean to derail the thread. But doesn't the Heritage shop in the old Gibson factor still make guitars the "old way". I've never played one but they sound great in the clips I've heard.

13. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I heard that someone bought the place and remodeled it....

I attended a tour of the old shop about 3~4 years ago ....and they were done the old way with the old Gibson Machinery that was left behind...Not sure what going on there now..I think its still Heritage....

This is what it looked like when I was there....looks like they still book tours....

http://heritageguitar.com/

clutchcargo likes this.
  14. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Heritage are GREAT guitars, but they are using a different headstock, a different cutaway/horn and other differences, to avoid troubles with Gibson. Said that, Heritage's QC isnt' perfect either, at all.

clutchcargo likes this.
  15. clutchcargo

Could be Vic. I was just wondering if the crew left behind worked for Gibson and had the secret sauce. That maybe these guitars are the real deal. I guess the only way to know is to tour the factor and play some models.

16. clutchcargo

Either way, IMO those Bartlett Retrospec guitar look absolutely amazing. I even like the body design a lot. Hopefully one is in my future.

17. ONEHERO

ONEHERO Member

I would say pick up a 2015 TH model or 2017 and be glad you'll have what is to be known later as the peak of Gibson's Les Paul

18. clutchcargo

I have a 2014 R8 that I love. As far as I've read. The 2013/2014's is the best era. If I want aged plastics and all the extra jazz. I'll send it to HM. Had one, the best Les Paul I've ever played. Hands down. Wish I never sold it. :dunno:

19. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Once you see Heritage.....there ain't no other way, and sure their stuff is a tad rougher.....I played two or three of them, and two needed setups pretty bad because they just had not been that far down the line yet. But the carved tops and the "Real" woodworking is what caught my eye. That place smells like a wood shop....an old one.

I don't have a Heritage yet, but I will. I don't like their headstocks and its stops me every time.

clutchcargo likes this.
  20. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Another reason I like HM's too....