2017 Tribute T - Fretboard question

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Andreas89, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Andreas89

Andreas89 Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Long story short - just got a Tribute T. Playability - perfectly fine. Sound - great! Finish - rushed and meh, but I don't care.

My only concern are these tiny cracks on the side of the fretboard. You might have to open the image in its original size and zoom in.

[​IMG]

I bought the guitar online and it arrived with the board bone dry. The scale was also consistently shortened slightly for all strings when checking the intonation. So I'm guessing I'm looking at some movement in there due to the drying that has taken place.

So the Q is how big of a problem this is? I live in sweden so dry winters incoming. I happily oil, clean and nurse the playability of my instrument at every string change. I don't care about visual flaws, that's why I liked the idea of a tribute, but if this can be expected to lead to problems down the line I might just return it... I like the thing though, and don't really want to.

Thankful for any input!

2. Strobe

Strobe Junior Member

If I bought online and they had a good return policy I might return it. I do not think any of what you describe is not fixable, but I just expect a little more when I buy new and online.

That said, it needs a little TLC (i.e. oiling fretboard, setup). I cannot see the image, but tiny cracks in the fingerboard is not something I would worry about too much provided it is just the fingerboard.

One thing I will note - what you are describing makes it sound like it went through a lot of temperature and humidity changes. Is the finish checking? Or does that look fine?

3. mfoster

mfoster Junior Member

I understand your frustration, but if it is on the top and not the bottom - It might be ugly to look at, but shouldn't effect the playability....
    To me it looks like a finishing issue.
    just a suggestion...

4. Andreas89

Andreas89 Junior Member

Yeah the more I look at it the more I feel like the fretboard has dried and shrunk and the finish on the side of the board has checked as a result. It seems to have that characteristic and I can't really spot any faults in the wood itself, though it's hard to tell how deep the cracking goes.

If it's just the finish I'm absolutely fine with that. Might just email the store and see if they want to do anything with the price.

It's funny in a way coming from a bit of a hiatus where the last guitar I owned was a very nice PRS Cu24 Artist. It was light, comfortable, flawlessly built and finished but had more bark than body in its sound. This is just the polar opposite, raw and clunky but absolutely huge tone. Really enjoying that change so far.

5. mfoster

mfoster Junior Member

I just sold my 2017 Tribute T. I wish I still had it to take pictures of. I also had isues with the fret board edging. Not nearly as bad as yours, but it wasn't perfect, just rough enough to tell that the guitar was build by hand, and not some asian robot.

My 2017 Traditional is totally different, the binding covers fretboard flaws :)

6. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

I just bought a '18 tribute yesterday and it has a little "crack" on both sides of the fretboard right before it mets the body. They each run about 2 inches long. It concerned me so I compared it against another '18 and a '17 tribute they had and all three guitars had the same thing. It's weird, it's just like a little hair line and it almost seems superficial. Anyways, didn't bother me, especially when I saw it wasn't unique to my guitar. My other LP has neck binding so maybe this is somewhat common on LPs without. I'll upload a photo of mine later.

7. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

OMG this is wood ... Incredible ...

[​IMG]