2017 Tribute HB mods

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by tigger, May 8, 2017.

1. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I'm glad I ran across this thread. I just got a 2017 Tribute-T HB and spent some time making it much better http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/an...t-faded-honey-burst-with-a-bit-of-tlc.396689/. However, after reading through this project, I am convinced that faux binding is in my Trib's future.

I bought mine to be a platform for experimenting with various pickups, bridges, strings, etc. So, this is just one more thing that has moved to the top of my to do list.

Thank you for documenting your project so well.

tigger likes this.
  2. tigger

tigger Senior Member

Well I'm probably going to put a few layers of clear on the neck as well since I just can't get used to the rough feel. A part of me is wandering if doing that isn't also an excuse to either get a inlayed logo on the headstock or even put binding on the neck. But I'll probably leave it like it is.

3. tigger

tigger Senior Member

No pics, but I indeed hit the neck with something like 6-7 wet layers of R&F neck lacquer and then sanded down and polished. Perfect, feels like normal fully grain-filled guitars. Sounds like I should have bought a standard to begin with, but in reality the guitar plays really well, is much lighter and more resonant than the standards I tried in the same store, and nicks it gets don't bother me the slightest.