2017 Historics - The Year That Wasn’t

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Dilver, Feb 10, 2018.

1. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

2. NoRythm_LP

NoRythm_LP Member

9 1026 from WildWood IMG_0812.jpg

mrfett, Thunder Dump and cnote like this.
  3. jktxs

jktxs Senior Member

I tried several '16 R8s and a '17 R9 this weekend and the '17 R9 had a substantially smaller feeling neck. According to Gibson the '17 R8s and R9s share the same profile and the 2018 models do too except the profile being even slimmer. Is 2016 the last year for a big neck R8 at this point?

4. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Junior Member

2017 Gibson Custom Wildwood Spec Les Paul Standard. A lot of people scratching their head and trying to tell me what it was when I first posted my NGD.

Nice beefy neck at .91”. No R in the serial number. No “Historic” on the COA. Looks to me to be a ‘57 reissue. Natural light back. 8.3 pounds.

Low wind Wildwood spec Humbuckers. Love this Lester!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    mrfett, RAG7890, Thunder Dump and 3 others like this.
  5. DanD

DanD Senior Member

The first '7' in the serial tells you it's a '57 Reissue even if Gibson didn't say it on the COA.

It's pretty silly how Gibson handled the last few years of Historic production as far as serial numbers go.

For '18 Gibson went back to the '14 and earlier designations we all know.

'15, '16, and '17 will probably be mostly overlooked except for the 'R' on the '16s. The first digit in the serial still tells you what the model designation is on the '15s - '17s.

Your blacktop is treat by the way. :cheers:

I've had my eye on a '17 Candy Blue top at WW for some time. I'm kinda' hoping someone else buys it before I succumb!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Woollymonster likes this.
  6. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Junior Member

That is a great run Wildwood has going on with Gibson. I can’t touch one of the Murphy’s but man do they look sweet. You won’t regret owning a Wildwood Spec.

7. nikku

nikku Senior Member

I just snagged this 2017 R8 (R8???) in Primary Burst with such a stunning top! Really 3D and contrasty, has a gorgeous neck with less shoulders and rounded binding, nice shallow neck angle so the abr is nice and low. True Historic hardware and a nice deep carve top. I think the pickgaurd will be staying off this one! 8lbs 8oz. Might have to do a NGD! Paperwork Has LP Standard. LPR-8. Japan Limited 58. Handpicked. All kinds of different denotations!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]