2017 Historics - The Year That Wasn’t

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Dilver, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

The recent 2017 Historic NGD posts made me think about what a weird year 2017 was for Gibson Historics:
    • They’re all officially called Custom Shop Les Paul Standards
    • No Year designations in the COA, but R_ in the control cavity, and the first digit in the serial number indicate the model year
    • Some were “leftovers” from 2016
    • Some were repurposed CC’s
    • Most had True Historic plastics and pickup covers (sounds like a few didn’t)
    • Some say the R6-R9 neck profiles are all based on a 59 neck profile; others disagree. But clearly the 57 and 58s were nowhere near as thick as previous years
    • Some had the gap between the fretboard and neck pickup - some didn’t
    • Some were ordered as “light backs”
    • There were “plaintops” that we’re super flamey
    • I think most agree that they were all special order runs from dealers
    • They were never acknowledged on Gibson.com
    • I don’t know if there were finishes that were only used in 2017 and not in previous years.
    I’m pretty sure I got one of the first batch of the year and I’m curious who has an earlier one and who has the last of the 2017s. Maybe they’re still at Wildwood, HOG, or Breaze. Do we have anything like a registry? I’ve seen this on other forum and you don’t have to disclose the full number, if concerned about security.

Here’s mine:

8 719X
    Plaintop
    Dirty Lemon
    59 neck profile

4ACB1528-2C2A-4EBB-B289-FC7E5F625115.jpeg 8F067B1D-1E94-49E0-A0DA-CCBFAF7E6364.jpeg

Attached Files:

mrfett, hidebai, cnote and 20 others like this.

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

That's a great looking R8!

3. DanD

DanD Senior Member

My '17 "58" COA:

COA CC29V.jpg

My '58

87562_lg6.jpg

mrfett, Gas4LPs, John Dewey and 5 others like this.

4. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Beautiful. The top on yours is very similar to mine. I always wondered what it would look like in a different finish :). Your serial number is one of highest I’ve seen.

DanD likes this.

5. DanD

DanD Senior Member

winexprt and Dilver like this.

6. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

According to information I got from Gibson directly, the pickup gap was changed in late 2017. Many BRW LPs don't have a gap, as they were made later in the year.

I don't know if they were all dealer runs. What CME did qualifies as a dealer run. Wildwood, I'd say, didn't do a dealer run for these 2017s. They got the standard models in Washed Cherry and a few other colors in plain/figured, as well as gold tops. The exact same guitars were/are available in Europe.

I think we can be more precise regarding the TH parts and the repurposed CCs. Doesn't that just relate to Wildwood's run of repurposed CC29s? They should not be counted as a Custom Shop Les Paul Standard. They were not called that. Wildwood called and calls them Historic 1958 Les Paul (Aged/VOS).

I'd say every Custom Shop Les Paul Standard did have the TH parts in 2017 and wasn't a CC before.

I don't know about the left-overs. Are we talking about date of production or what?

DanD likes this.

7. tnvol

tnvol Senior Member

Whatever they are calling them, that sure looks good. How does it play?

8. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Hey, I’m just trying to piece together what I’ve read here on this forum - I am not making any definitive declarations by any means. I’m sure someone who knows more about the repurposed CC’s and 2016 leftovers than me will chime in here. All I was trying to do was point out some of the peculiarities of 2017. I’ve personally played a total of four 2017 Historics one of which being mine. All four were stellar instruments - I continue to believe that Gembar and Wilson set out to improve the line year after year and 2017 was their swan song before they left the company.

lpthomas likes this.

9. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Some of the repurposed " '58 Les Paul Standard Faded Orange Burst" (official factory naming) had COAs that stated "LP Standard" with no year designation. All of those in the 8 7540 - 8 7549 range that I have pics of do not have the year designation.

Those in the 8 7550-8 7567 range I have pics of state " '58 LP STD" , " '58 Les Paul Standard" or " '58 LP Standard" on the COA.

There is really no continuity as to how or why Gibson serializes or denotes their product.

The new '18 R9 models started production at 982XXX. Markguitar stated the numbers were a continuation of '17 production R9 numbers. I don't buy that as WWs stock has many R9s with 5 digit serials. However, these are not typical R9s, these are all special dealer run models. My guess is the 5 digit numbers are being set aside for 'special ' runs.

As to special runs for '17 WW did a few but these were in special finishes like this one:
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...od-spec-les-paul-standard-vos-7/?cat_id=21808

As for 5 digit serial numbers for 2018 there's this run from WW:
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...od-spec-les-paul-standard-vos-6/?cat_id=21808

As to the repueposed guitars they are not '17 spec. But they are listed and will be forever sold and traded as '17 model '58s.

Gibson puts their "We Have the right to change specs at anytime..." clause to good use! :facepalm:

mudface, Dilver and lpthomas like this.

10. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Sam Ash and Musicians Friend also bought 'leftovers' that were designated with '17 serials.

Sam Ash still has a few '58 faded orange bursts in stock albeit at the original MAP price.

I bought a leftover " '58 LP STD Aged" from MF that is not '17 spec either. However it is the lowest priced new Historic to date that I've purchased.

How many companies can you say still sell product at less than the pricing of a decade ago?

If anything these repuposings demonstrate the issues currently facing Gibson.

winexprt and lpthomas like this.

11. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

My '17 CME run just says "LP Standard":

[​IMG]

mrfett and Dilver like this.

12. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Are you referring to my '58?

If so it is the best Historic I own. My '15 TH BB 7 is a close second but the CC spec of the " '58" is really a step up from TH in my opinion.

I've owned Historics from '04 and up. The '14 and up guitars I own are all a step up from the earlier versions. My '11s are going up for sale and I thought I'd have those forever...

tnvol likes this.

13. tnvol

tnvol Senior Member

I was referring to the OP but yours looks pretty good too.

DanD likes this.

14. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

It’s awesome... kinda like driving a really nice car that’s got some power under the hood. The Custom Buckers were not for me, though.

tnvol likes this.

15. Olli

Olli Senior Member

What's up with the 2017 True Historics?

I've seen two at an UK shop that have 6 Digit numbers.
    Both Murphy '59 THs.

I don't know what Gibson was thinking when they numbered these....

Alvinfan likes this.

16. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Senior Member

Do 2017s have the “correct” truss rod covers? Gibson highlighted that as a feature for 2018s. I noticed that the 2017’s truss rod is a bit longer and closer to the nut, at least compared to 2016.

17. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Senior Member

Actually, maybe not longer. Just lower.

18. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

I'd say it's the old cover. Definitely not the same as the 2018.

19. DanD

DanD Senior Member

There was one numbering/serialization system for both TH and Standard Historic in '17.

In '15 only TH got the 5 digit serials. The other '15s were either CCs, artist or 'CS' models.

In '16 the Standard Historics had an 'R' preceding the serial number to denote a "Standard Historic".
    The TH were again the only series in '16 to have a proper 5 digit serial number.

In '17 Gibson did away with the 'R' designation for Standard Historics and both the TH and STD lines used the proper 5 digit or 6 digit serial numbering system. Which made it necessary to use the 6 digit serials on THs. That is not the number of THs made in '17, rather the combination of TH and Standard Historics (as well as JRs and Specials, etc..) made that year.

mrfett, lpthomas and mudface like this.

20. Olli

Olli Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification, that is what I thought.

But still: I cannot understand why Gibson did this on their "truest to the real thing ever" line of guitars.

No matter how beautiful and historically correct a guitar is, a 6 digit SN just looks wrong on a LP...

Just my 2 cents.

DanD and lpthomas like this.