2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard vs Historic Reissue

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I don't really mind or care what mudface thinks about the 2017s (he probably just want his 2013/14 Historics to become extra valuable due to being "the last Historic Reissues"), but it's really uncool to keep telling people who are new to Historics/Reissues and are looking to buy one that "Gibson no longer makes them and you'll have to get a used 2013/14" (perhaps adding "Buy one from me, it's ultra valuable!") while everyone knows well people buy these guitars not for the product name on the Certificate Of Authenticity or semi-official product descriptions, but for what these guitars actually are.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    zube and Dilver like this.
  2. dleake

dleake Member

Is this thread for real?

Crotch likes this.
  3. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Wrong again, I do not sell anything, and i might buy myself a 2017 if it's really something i can't pass up (they do look cool), but i'm not delusional and make myself believe it's anything more than what it IS, a nice Custom Shop guitar. There is nothing about any of them that are going to make them "more valuable". There are just too Damn many of them made. From 2013 to 2017, the so called "good spec years", they're 10s of thousands.
    If you buy one new you already lost money, and if you don't care like me (cuz it's my money) it doesn't matter. I rather buy a 2017 used. :D

To be quite honest i'm just having fun reading about people flipping out over what really doesn't matter.:D

Crotch likes this.
  4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I'd rather have a '56 GT reissue, and the '18 Classic comes close, except for the neck.

mudface likes this.
  5. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yes, i do like the '18 Classic and I might just snag me one. The Pelham blue is nice.

6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

049.JPG
    This is my poor-mans '56........A Traditional Pro P-90.

mrfett, drylandfish and efstop like this.
  7. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I can't figure it out

PierM, dleake and freebyrd 69 like this.
  8. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

The way you oppose to these being labelled as "Reissues" makes it look as if "actual Reissues" are somewhat more than "nice Custom Shop guitars".

Not even TH specs? I get it, you don't care about TH plastics. I don't either, and I bought a 2016 even though I could have had a 2017. But there are folks who are sold on TH specs.

I don't mean to be rude, but for a person who thinks that stuff doesn't matter, you oppose these people too strongly.

9. JEDHRMC

JEDHRMC Junior Member

...Like me, for example... ; )

10. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Nope, not even TH specs. They won't be any more valuable than the 13's on up in the used market.

mudface likes this.
  11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

:rofl:No, i don't have an opinion against anyone, it doesn't matter what these guitars are called (to me personally), but it seems to have an ill affect on everyone that don't like what i say about these guitars. You have the option to believe what you want.:D

The guitar won't care what you call it.:laugh2:

Oh,.... and to stir the pot some more,...........
    Who is doing the labeling?..............you or Gibson?.........

And what i meant by "any of them" was all historics from 2013 thru the 2017 "custom shop standard" nothing about them will make them more valuable.;)
    There are just too many of them.

And you named this thread "2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard vs Historic Reissue"
    You're just asking for one of them to get its ass kicked. Verses, as in a challenge. Now that's just rude to people who don't own a 2017, is it not?
    Ok,....let's say you meant "compared to" instead of verses, but your intent is obvious.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. dleake

dleake Member

My 2cents. Recently looking for a R8 (ended up surprisingly with a CC#7 which is amazing) and played a bunch of 13/14, 2016 and 2017's. There's definitely something about the 2017's you don't get with the 13/14's and 2016's. Part of it is the added TH stuff that's been mentioned. Additionally the finish on the back of the 2017 neck is slightly duller in color than the rest of the body. Which looks great. The Gibson logo on the 2017 headstock is ambered like the TH's and the binding has that nice yellowing to it that the other reissues don't have. Fit and finish is definitely better than the 13/14's and 2016's. The 2017's feel more like the TH and CC's I've played than the other regular reissues. I can see 2017's being more sought after one day for sure. (oh boy he went there) If buying another "Historic" (because the 2017's are DEFINITELY Historics ;)) I'd go 2017 over 13/14 and last would be a 2016 due to the serial number thing. (I know that's superficial and stupid but hey, that's why we're here) I'll walk myself out. :io:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    serch777 and Wizard of Ozz like this.
  13. ht-57

ht-57 Member

@dleake
    Curious- what is the "serial # thing" you speak of on the
    2016's?

14. PierM

PierM Premium Member

[​IMG]

mudface likes this.