2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard vs Historic Reissue

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

You have to remember that in the 50's they ran different guitars on the same machinery, so setting the route tables exactly the same every time wasn't a priority then, if they goofed ...oh well, if its good enough and it works, no one will really notice or care...

Also Parts suppliers made errors ...(still happens in car manufacturing) And when a part is wrong it can stop a whole line for days (shut down the plant)...
    If that part is within tolerance and the inspectors OK the part ...then it remains and they allow what may.

Gibson today is actually replicating that because there are bursts out there that have these problems.

To answer your question; they may have adjusted the pick guard's cut to fit any array of route errors...but I'm speculating....That's what they do sometimes in Car manufacturing....Beat it to fit ...paint it to match.

mudface likes this.
  2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yeah....the thing with 2017s is that they have SOME features of a True Historic and Some features of the Standard Historic (2014 specs). the two very distinctive models have been blurred into one. It makes me ill just thinking about it:confused:
    The pick guard is like what Vic said, another simulation.

3. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I am such a dumbass, i missed the fact you were just mentioning the PICKGUARD, i was referring to the Gap between the NECK pickup ring and the fret board in post #57, ( there's a small gap on some and not on others on the original "Bursts") I must apologize, i'm not quite awake.
    This might contribute to the wonky pick guard alignment that exist on the originals. So like Vic said, Gibson has tried to replicate this.

4. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

That's what I meant but the pickup routing machine/template not being set up correctly....that's the only thing that would throw it off is mis-positioning or a last minute engineering change.

mudface likes this.
  5. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Absolutely.

6. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

7. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

Why don't you read what I wrote on that subject several posts later before posting your reaction?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  8. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Relax, I was just joking.

As far as the timing, I didn't see any replies after PierM's when I made the post.

9. Andy California

Alright.

10. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

Maybe the '17s are a way of clearing out the reissue parts inventory? Gibson lumped all the R's under one label, "Standard". However, the serial number still identifies the "R" year.

Commingling TH parts with SH parts is fine. They're all good parts. In reality, these are still reissues, even if not officially labeled as such. Standard, Historic, Reissue, Smishissue, Whateverissue, Myissueisbetterthanyourissue. They're all top of the line Gibsons.

ht-57 likes this.
  11. Andy California

Exactly. It seems to me that some people confuse a term "reissue" with "historically accurate", which is a BS anyway, as, from what I gather, pretty much no Historics have ever been 100% historically accurate.

12. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

I think too some folks are upset who bought TH's at crazy high prices, because Gibson pull d a fast one an put TH plastics and p/u covers on 2017 Standards. Thus lowering the value of their TH's.

Then you have guys who bought 2016 R's who could have waited a year and paid the same price for one with TH parts.

Then you have guys like me who bought "used", but really new and got great deals on 2016's who don't give a rip about plastics and corners on pickups.

Gibson has made for some great threads over the past couple of years.

13. Andy California

Totally. I don't care about the plastics or any of the TH "specs", so when buying my guitar I picked 2016 even though could I have had the 2017.

14. ONEHERO

ONEHERO Member

Cool. I got both my TH at the lower price than the standard Reissues and haven't looked back since. IMO once people go True Historic or Historic Makeover there's simply no comparison to the stock reissues

15. Mr.Paul

Mr.Paul Senior Member

Actually that's not correct.
    The 2017s are the same construction (including hide glue top) as the THs. But the don't have double carved tops and wet sand finishes. That's the only difference.
    Plastics are TH as well.
    The 2016s are more than 2013s/14s. No hide glue top, no TH plastics.

And yes the 2017s are "Historics" or "Reissues"!
    The 2015 CS line was for many not, due to the different tenon. Ok I do get that!
    But I can't understand why some people claim the 2017s not to be Historics.

16. JEDHRMC

JEDHRMC Junior Member

You forgot a few things...Frets are not as deep on a TH, holley veneer on the headstock is thinner and the edges are broken on the headstock... The horn carve is also said to be different on the THs... does anyone know if they maintained that on the 2017s?

17. Mr.Paul

Mr.Paul Senior Member

Ok the THs are more true than the 2017s.
    The point I wanted to make is that they are not 2016s and that they are Historics.

As far as I know and what I can see is that the horn has the deeper cut.

18. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Actually 2017s did not officially debut until months into 2017, and 2016 spec Historics were dated and released as 2017s, the official 2017s were not released as "Historics", they were released as "Custom Shop Standards" and they are a few without TH plastics and others with TH plastics. And they are not "Historics" or Gibson would have released them as such.

19. Mr.Paul

Mr.Paul Senior Member

OMG are you serious? Because Gibson doesn't call them Historics anymore and now calls them LP Standards they are no longer Reissues? That's ridiculous!

These guitars are built the same way as always, even more accurate (hide glue top) than the 13s/14s. And because Gibson changes wording and marketing you think these are no longer Reissues or Historics?
    Come on!

lpthomas and Andy California like this.
  20. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yup.:D