2017 Brazilian R9s

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by BigDipper15, Oct 26, 2017.

1. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

To be honest I thought it would be more expensive

Interesting that after almost 60 years it is finally almost a genuine reissue of a burst spec wise

From that perspective its a bargain

2. davidos

davidos Senior Member

The price posted is the ‘discount’....

More coming

(5) 59s in VOS Cherry Sunburst
    (5) 59s in Gloss Cherry Sunburst
    (5) 59s in Gloss Wildwood Burst
    (5) 60s in Gloss Cherry Sunburst

jktxs likes this.
  3. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

I like this run and hate Gibson...
    Who ever pulled the trigger, wait for your NBGD.

4. jamman

jamman Premium Member

All 4 are marked sold . So someone likes them ...

The MCI I just sold had that "Glass" BRW board . Oiled the board (1-2 x's a year)and it looked like glass . It was naturally dark as almost completely black from the day I got it .
    Same with both 2003 MM R0 Stinger Gibson's I have .

In my travels ,in Brazil BRW has gotten a lot more difficult to find . It's there , But those who would sell it are very skeptical about the value of dealing with it . The Police in Brazil have cracked down on the locals big time, and Jail time is nothing you'd want to gamble Oh and the FINES .. Not funny at all for a population that lives (generally) on a lot less per capita , then we do ....Lots of 3rd.World conditions in Brazil ...

If your looking for a nice top ,,,this 1 is about as good as I've seen . ,,, PM me
    or plain top (best Gibson I've every had /played , Kills all of them )

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    jktxs and Alex like this.
  5. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Im not going to comment on the price of these - clearly even in this crapper of a market, there are buyers for what they got.

As to the value of '03 R's - realistically, how many of these were made between R6-7-8-9-0's, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800-2k? (too lazy to go to the sticky and do the math) - so introducing somewhere in the neighborhood of 2% more inventory to the market (at a top of market price for a 2003 R9) IN THEORY should not cause a crash...I of course emphasize the IN THEORY because of course, there will be a few panic sellers and it will cause the inevitable perception of a price crash.

Reality is this - there have been several 2003 BRW R7's offered in the last 2 years, and they have been slow to sell at even a discounted price of 4k. There have been a few R8's and seem to have settled into the 5k range...R9's/0's command a premium, but again if you want to get the "like substitute" in a makeover - its been there for a while at around 8k.

The only difference in these versus a "makeover" is they came out from someone on G's payroll and with the brands warranty. Is the quality better - debatable, but I think the majority would say no. It's official G approved - but so what, how many famous burst had no modifications made to them - and the modded guitars were not shipped back to the factory for neck shaves, electronic changes, refinish, ect.

This just shows - NEVER RULE OUT ANYTHING - especially when your talking a desperate party. Reissue of the few CC/Artist models that sold well in the past and command a premium now is always a possible outcome. G owns the rights and needs to raise cash, FAST. cranking out a 1k more guitars wont end their problems, but it would add cash to the coffers to keep the banks away for a few months - and easiest way to sell 1k additional units is go to whats worked in the past. This run was a reward I suspect for a dealer who has helped G over the years, give them a saleable product that wont cannibalize sales elsewhere. More of the same could come soon.

6. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

Gibson does not buy anything in small lots. They have it and there is a lot of it.

Dilver and mudface like this.
  7. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Not from Brazil(I have permanent Residency) , BUT I'm moving there, soon . I have relations there , so I travel there (for me) A lot . Less in recent years , so it's about ever 2 years for the last 6 years of so .
    What I was told(a few years ago now) , by My Step-Daughter (who is Brazilian) and is a (loose translation) "Forrest Engineer" in Brazil . BRW completely stopped in cutting "New" Trees . for ( from a few years back) 30 years . To give time for the species to re-grow back and save it for the future .
    So , What wood you see now , was approved as cut prior to the Date the Brazilian Gov. Set as ok to sell . Brazil KNOWS Exactly what they have in BRW and want to keep it alive and healthy . so I'd guess to say BRW would not be indiscriminately cut . it's valuable and they look for anything of value , to sell .

In Brazil there is a Gov. agency, like our "fish & wildlife" agency(name of IBAMA) who controls(IIRC with police)( along with the many other "normal" Police agencies for back up) and gives Permits for import/export of such things as BRW, plants and such .
    With correct applications (both Brazil and US) Wood can be imported into the USA . This is wood that was cut years ago.

What was done there was to crack down on the illegal trade & cutting of BRW . with heavy fines and Jail time . Once was a time it was so easy to get , ~ anywhere you looked . Not anymore . I can't say about bulk amounts or cutting of trees as I don't / never had the need for that . I really don't want any part of that. Let the trees come back , as other RW works well for guitars also . Not the same beauty , but it's a guitar made for playing, not to be put in a glass case ,imo .

I'm not up to date on clear cutting , But , I'm sure (from my understanding of Brazil) at least some still happens . $$$ talks and when you're hungry you do what you need to do , to feed your family.

Hope this helps a little :shock:

Sct13, pinefd and THDNUT like this.
  8. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I humbly disagree. I don't see the HM or replica market as "strong" for resale anyway. (Never has been) Not when compared to what you put into it.

And doing 100-250 of these will not kill the production of replicas or the Makeover market. Some people want what they want and gibson may not provide it. Also, you can get an HM on a nice used piece for cheaper than these by upwards of $3,000.

Sct13, RAG7890, MikeyV and 3 others like this.
  9. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I'm also surprised these were not priced higher? Obviously I'm not surprised they sold out as quick as they did. Many of the '03 braz I've seen up for sale were not as pretty as the OP guitar.

10. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I agree these could have actually sold at a higher price. I can't imagine paying $10K for a new guitar. But the market is there. Exactly what HJ wants.

Dilver and PierM like this.
  11. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

they are all sold at Wildwood

12. DanD

DanD Senior Member

And I'll wager Gibson will be creating more Braz series with even higher prices in the next few months. This run is selling briskly at near 10k. I expect to see future Braz runs in the 12k to 15k range.

I'll also wager that Gibson will make enough new Braz models to have a real impact on the '03s pricing. I May have considered an '03 R9 for 8k in the past, but not now. ​

13. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

LOL, I go offline for 12hrs and they've all come and gone?! :wtf:

jamman likes this.
  14. abracadaben

abracadaben Senior Member

well Gibson doesn't care about used market so they will make as much as they can providing they have enough wood and no legal problem. And thats cool too.
    However its hard to gage how a run sell after only 4 sold in a few hours.... 4 is nothing... even 50....

What I see is they do things people have always wanted and thats being customer focused. selling them $8K or $10k doesn't make a huge difference for the target for these IMO.

I wish they could also focus on the electronics (but we can replace that...)

Now how they sound? we will know this week :D.
    mine is pretty heavy 8.9lbs (no dirty joke) but thats usually the weight I like them. 8.8lbs.

Alex likes this.
  15. abracadaben

abracadaben Senior Member

16. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

Well, Slash and TM guitars are still up there for sale. So, it seems to me that people value historic accuracy, material quality, and other aspects of an instrument a lot more than just a name attached to it. Although the initial rumors that there were only 25 made could’ve had an effect on how quickly they sold.

I want one. I like the fact that these are a more “accurate” reissue of the guitars they made in the 50s. And not just molecularly replicated plastics. But $10K is the limit for me, and it’s a bit of a stretch. Also, it’s very likely I’ll have to sell one of my historics if I want to keep it.

I liked #2, #1, and my last option was #4. I’ll wait and see what the cherry ones look like. CME is supposed to do a run as well. I really hope they don’t use the CME serial number.

17. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

That's why the world needs Gibson Custom.

18. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Wow! 5 pages in a matter of hours! If they release more of these our 104 page darling thread might get a run for it's money!

jamman and lpthomas like this.
  19. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

You can bet he bought at least one of them!!!

I don't have a problem with what they are doing. Hell, if I could swing it, I would buy one. At least now the true historic is somewhat as true as possible. It might hurt resale on the 03s a little.

RAG7890 likes this.
  20. KOTR

KOTR Senior Member

Congrats. Can't wait to see the NGD thread.