2017 Brazilian R9s

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by BigDipper15, Oct 26, 2017.

1. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Exactly. Just like so many seem to think the Indian Rosewood Gibson normally uses should be super black. Rosewood by nature isn't ebony.

RAG7890 and mudface like this.
  2. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Hack Guitarist Premium Member

Guess I just prefer the glassy look of the braz..My Hm came very glassy looking right from them. Hey if I had a spare 10k I would probably go for it. They won't last. A great investment guitar.

3. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

They can be. I bet they won't budge much if any at all off of MAP for these guitars. Certain models they will negotiate but if they think it will eventually sell for MAP they won't give any deals at all, even if you are a buyer of many from them.

I know this because I have bought several guitars over the years from them and have gotten many MAP only prices from them. Absolutely NO negotiating price on what they consider a "hot" model.

4. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

HM must treat it with a clear coat or something then because most rosewood is not naturally glassy from the tree.

KBMelb likes this.
  5. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I would like to hear what the tone freaks are gonna say when these are compared to the Indian rosewood 17s. It's gotta be at least 3 grand better:D

6. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I've tried probably 10 times to buy from them. Never had any luck. Stuff I really like too. I know what price I am going to pay going into a deal on something new though and they've never agreed. No loss to me. There's always something/someone else.

freebyrd 69 and PierM like this.
  7. DanD

DanD Senior Member

97004 is a looker. My fave by far.

And what's up with the serial numbers?

We know Gibson is way past 970XX from all the other Rs out there with higher serial numbers. My guess is Gibson had these in the planning stage for some time and held back these lower serial numbers for this run. I've already seen 6 digit R9s from '17... :hmm:

8. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

ok, I don't normally hang out in the historic section, but do I understand correctly that this is a huge price premium for a different wood for the fingerboard ONLY???

9. Crotch

You understand correctly.

However braz boards from gibson are very rare and we haven't seen one since 2003.

Up to you how much that is worth. Not worth it to me.

jlb32 likes this.
  10. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Right around the same price as a painted/ aged by Tom Murphy...

11. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I know what you mean "Crotch". I've bought several from WW and gotten good deals on the ones I have purchased but it seems if a "hotter" guitar comes up they kind of forget customer appreciation and won't move off MAP. No skin off my back though. It's their loss IMO. I just go other places if I really want it.

Crotch likes this.
  12. Crotch

[​IMG]

13. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

At this point its kind of like speculation right, it will likely increase in values to collectors. I wonder if Joe B. is gonna get one!

14. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Brazilian rosewood is nice for a brag feature but IMO a brazilian rosewood fretboard on a guitar will not make it sound any better than any other quality rosewood fretboard.

On a acoustic that has back, sides, etc.. made of Brazilian rosewood, that is a different story, but on the fretboard only IMO it's just a feature to talk about.

15. BigDipper15

I used to almost buy exclusively from WW...Always got really nice MAP discounts. BUt about 2.5 years ago MAP's went so out of control and reductions off MAP got smaller and smaller I rarely if ever buy from them anymore. Maybe one of the best if not the best privately owned shops out there though.

16. BigDipper15

Agree...great collectors piece though. These will never go down in value. Only 25 being made if I read correctly? In 10 years they go for minimulm $15k if not more.

17. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

They are really great and nice but if you want a decent price on what is considered a "hot" model they are not the best price wise.

I understand their thinking as a business but most places I have bought from take in to account that you are a appreciated returning customer and they appreciate and want more of your business in the future.

WW IMO doesn't consider anyone as a "appreciated customer" when it's a "hot" model and they think they can hold out for MAP. Not the best business move IMO because even though I like WW and have bought several from them I usually go elsewhere now because of their attitude based on the guitar model.

18. JUNAE9

JUNAE9 Member

Some curiosities about the Jacaranda (brazilian rosewood)
    The genus Jacaranda has about 50 species, all neotropical. Most of them are found mainly in the cerrado and other drier environments around the Amazon.

The most valued is the Jacarand√° da Bahia and black Jacarand√°, more found in Bahia and Sao Paulo.
    There are species of jacaranda of other colors (brown and violet too)
    Gibson has already used the "black heart" on some guitars as well.

19. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Welp, that's one item we can check off the list of "ways Gibson can make their True Historics more truly historic (and charge more for them)." Granted, this is the biggie in many people's minds.

What's left? Lots of tiny details, but probably not too many that will actually matter to buyers. Seems like the company may have just played its ace card.

20. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I doubt it. As the years go by with Brazilian rosewood on the CITES list they are building the Brazilian tree population back up. That will let it begin to sell legally again more than it has in years.

Years from now it will probably be back in use much more than today, once they feel more can be harvested and sold legally again without endangering the species.