2017 Brazilian R9s

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by BigDipper15, Oct 26, 2017.

1. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

If all you care about is historical accuracy some might be more right or better replica wise. Tonally, it's all about the individual guitar. Otherwise PU's, wood type, etc.. is pretty much all personal preference. Even looks and what/who you consider makes better guitars is personal preference. Tone is personal preference. Everything is.

I'm just dumbfounded how many just think there preferences are "it". :cheers2:

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I agree but what I was trying to say is that “arguably” the best Replica option is a lower cost option than what you mentioned / Gibson etc.

By best, I am referring to the whole package & end result when directly compared to some of the World’s highly regarded Bursts.

Long story. But each to their own.

:cheers2:

jlb32 likes this.
  3. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

Pythonman likes this.
  4. MonsterTop

MonsterTop Member

Not a top worthy of $10k IMO...

mudface, jamman and winexprt like this.
  5. megaweapon

megaweapon Senior Member

Now that top I really like. Different strokes I guess. Wouldn't pay 10K for it, but I like it. The only part that looks a bit off is the seam is accentuated. Minor issue. I looked at the other ones they have; Wildwood definitely got the better bunch of tops.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  6. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Freebyrd: I think we're saying the same thing, if you read my first sentence. The rest is just me -- as I say. I just wish Gibson would move away at least a bit from a business plan that absolutely hammers anyone whose personal want list includes something that they can get gouged for, as it would result in somewhat more availability/affordability for other players, too. But I get it; they're into "premium" branding for those with the cash.

7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.........someone has to post this. May as well be me. ;)

[​IMG]

8. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I hear you.....when I said "unless "your"" in my post, I wasn't referring to you directly. Sorry for the misunderstanding on that. What I fail to grasp is how anyone can look down on Gibson for doing what they are doing. Let's look at some facts here.

First and foremost, if YOU were in business, there is no way in hell that you would sell your product for less than you could potentially get for it. That is just business 10freakin'1.

Henry is a class A D!CK, no doubt, but consider what he was seeing. Selling CC's and seeing some of them go up a few thousand in price over the years (Goldie, Pearly, Sandy). Then he sees R9's selling for 5 and 6k, then going to HM for another 3k makeover for the Braz boards and such. Why would they NOT ask 9+ for them? While I agree it kind of sucks they have gone so high, they are selling and selling very, very quickly. That fact in and of itself shows Gibson has them priced right for business purposes.

9. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 3.04.54 AM.jpg
    It's not so much the top I have a problem with. It's the bright red/orange streak running up the fretboard between the G & B strings that would be a deal breaker for me.

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

This is the pic you need to look at.

[​IMG]

11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There are so many who cannot seem to deal with anything not uniform. The guitar has great flatsawn grain, and a fretboard that has some interest instead of being incredibly boring.
    I'm reminded of a Police lyric

"your sensibility is shaken by the slightest effect"

Pappy58, lpthomas and mfolet like this.
  12. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

No, the funny thing is if it were a vintage burst owned/played by ______ ________ then it would be the best thing since peanut butter. And with a CC made to replicate it too. Btw, has this guitar sold? There's your answer. Let's not give Henry J something to laugh at.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    lpthomas likes this.
  13. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

I think there could be another raid soon .
    Something is only worth what someone is willing pay for it. And they seem to have the buyers for these guitars.
    As long as the buyer gets what they want all is good in the world.
    I dont think my R8 would look or play any better with Brazilian rosewood fret board. I also have a sg that has a baked maple fret board. And that is a fantastic guitar to. So personally they can keep there Brazilian rosewood
    But also wish those that pay the money for these guitars many years of enjoyment from them

14. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I don't think I have ever seen an authentic burst with that "water marked" look. I don't know how to describe it other than it looks like the one above your post is water spotted. I don't mind a more plain top, and I love "flecking", but that water stain look is just hideous to me, even when disguised with some flame. Again, I don't believe I have EVER seen a burst, in pictures or in person, with that characteristic in the wood.

15. davep

davep Junior Member

That top reminds me of what you get with a USA Standard.

16. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

Grain or spalted Patten to it. I quite like that as it has given it great unique figure.

17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

OK lets see some original Bursts with a FB anything similar to that CME 1 .... Top is a personal thing , IMO not bad , not my type but ,,,, Maybe 1's like that are the reason so many Original Bursts no longer exist ? Cold Winter...Fire Wood ??? :lol:

MORE :photos::wow:
    10K for that top ??? Do you take CC's ??? Hot Dang ,,,,, :bowdown I'd buy that for a Dalla ...or 2

RAG7890 and freebyrd 69 like this.
  18. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

I like the mineral grain/streaking, it's very reminscent of my CC2's top with that regard but mine has wider more pronounced flames than that. I agree it's a nice guitar and top but the advent of braz on that does not justify its 10k price for me.

now those are 10k tops there.....

jamman and RAG7890 like this.
  19. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Senior Member

Nothing screams $10K about that axe. I've got 2 2017 R9s... the tops on both are far better than this... or on any of the braz run I've seen so far. The crossgrain and annular rings kill this top for me. The streaked board is another turn off. If a monster top pops up with braz, I'll grab it... but so far I'm not impressed. Does look like WW got the better pick of the braz boards though.

Not a fan of the "CME" serial #s either. Didn't like when Music Machine did it years ago, don't like it now.

20. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Not to get political, cause it's against forum rules. But that is not going to happen. Furthest thing from Gibson's mind right now.

THDNUT likes this.