2017 Brazilian R9s

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by BigDipper15, Oct 26, 2017.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Maybe , just cleaning out the back room, of stock that's been sitting for a long tome , before it all comes crashing down ......???
    Just a thought .....
    I wonder if Gibson did better , (Selling/moved More guitars ), after the last raid ???
    Just a thought ......
    I wonder if HJ is still in control ???? since he was so ... concerned about the BRW trees ??? for so long .
    Why Now ???:hmm:

RAG7890 likes this.
  2. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

I think I'm the one that said something about selling my current R9 if I liked the BRW R9 better. But it's not my only LP. Not my only Historic guitar either. I never said I thought the BRW would make the guitar sound better either. But I do think it's closer to the specs that people on this section of the forum are looking for. Or at least I want a reissue as close as possible to the originals, and a BRW fretboard takes the guitar a step closer in that direction. This run looks really, really great (in all fronts, not just the fretboard). Yes, it's 10 freaking grands, but a "regular" R9 is 6 freaking grands, and yet several of us here own one of those. At the end of the day, it's all about perspective.

I'd like to eventually have at least 1 LP from 1952 to 1960. This BRW R9 is expensive, but it's also nicer than my current R9. So, if I like it better (not because the BRW board makes it sound better. Or maybe it does, who knows), I don't see a reason to keep my current R9. I'm blessed enough that I can afford these guitars, but I don't have loads of cash lying around, so I have to sell something in order to acquire something else, especially if it's more of the same.

I'm not a musician, but I don't reckon I'm a collector either? I buy these guitars for multiple reasons: I like how they look, I like how they sound, I like craftsmanship (and yeah, some will argue that these guitars are not made by craftsmen anymore. I disagree, but to each his own), I like history, I like playing these guitars, I like learning about them, etc., etc. I've never bought a guitar to make profit (I have never sold a historic before), and I wouldn't buy a BRW R9 with that purpose. I'd buy it because I like it.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully it makes sense. If nothing else, it helped me clear my thoughts.

Truth011 and ClashCityRocker like this.
  3. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Well I probably shouldn't have quoted your post without taking another look at it. So for that I apologize. Maybe a little kettle calling the pot black on my part. I almost paid 5,500 for a Guitar Trader LP last year. Guys here told me I was crazy and not to do it. In the end someone ponied up and beat me to it for 6k. I guess I'm not the only crazy guy out there! Funny, I wanted that Guitar Trader because I liked it and I liked the history behind the line. Not because it was better than any of my reissues. I guess if you're going in with that attitude you can't get hurt.

4. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

No need to apologize! All good. I just wanted to clarify where I stand in all of this.

By the way, when I said "I'd like to eventually have at least 1 LP from 1952 to 1960", I mean that I'd like to own (at least) 1 reissue for each year a Les Paul changed specs from 1952 to 1960. Not just 1 LP from that period :).

Cheers!

5. mesa1360

mesa1360 Junior Member

Gibson underpriced the 2003 braz. They are not going to make the same mistake twice. LOL.

6. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Everybody has their own likes and wants, and reasons for them. I certainly don't understand why having a new guitar with a BRW fretboard makes any sense at all at this cost -- a profoundly flagrant money grab in the true Gibson style. The guitar pictured in the OP is gorgeous, and not at all because of the fretboard. And no -- BRW fretboards do not all become black with play. They never do. The really oiled ones become a really dark brown that does not look ebony-black at all. And many, like the 80 year old fretboard on my old Gibson acoustic, continue to show some variation and grain. If you want a solid, dark rosewood fretboard, get some EIR and just dye it. Easy.

7. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Fair enough, but let's get down to brass tax here....or braz tax. Lol. Guitars, for most of us, are purchased with disposable income. Unless you are my dad, or my accountant, this isn't about telling anyone what "makes sense".

Everyone has their thing. Does it "make sense" to drive a $80,000 car to work and back? Does it "make sense" to own a $10,000 watch when there are clocks EVERYWHERE and on your phone too? If someone gave me 10k and said I had 2 choices....a 10 day trip to a destination of choice, or a 2017 Braz R9, guess what, I'll take the guitar. I'll get joy out of the guitar every day until I drop dead. Even if I got to where I was unable to play, I'd get a fair chunk of my $ back on the instrument.

Also, $ is relative. Hell, I won about $900 on a 4 day trip in Vegas. I came home feeling like a MILLION. It was essentially a free trip. On the other hand, I saw a guy next to me win that in two hands at the blackjack table......he was betting 4 and $500 per hand. He had it, I didn't.

dleake, jlb32, Truth011 and 4 others like this.
  8. megaweapon

megaweapon Senior Member

I wonder what the markup is on these. We talk about Gibson charging 10K for them, but I'm curious to know what the dealer's cost would be. Does Gibson set a MAP on specialty runs as well?

9. Truth011

Truth011 Senior Member

Braz boards are all about looks and feel. I think about them in the same way as guitar top preference.

Gibson could make a Murphy aged run with Braz that would come close to a HMRDS guitar for TWICE the money. :hmm:

10. mudface

mudface Senior Member

About half what the added cost of the Brazilian boards to the regular Custom Shop Standard plus what they already earning on said guitars.
    That's my guess, i think that would be reasonable.

11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Gibson needs to pay the BILLS,...........and like the song goes........."this is how we do it"..........Henry J sings that all day long.:D

12. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Gibson ? ? ? Money Grab ? ? ? So what else is New ??? If it's not BRW . It'll be something else (that marketing Dept. can re-word to sound like its' New and Improve")
    That's how Business works . Every New Model year has to be "New" in some way . Other then stating the fact , prices are up, because workers get paid more $$$(I hope they are getting raises) . supplies to build cost more $$$ and I (HJ & Son) Need to Draw bigger salaries .

freebyrd 69 and mudface like this.
  13. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Someone needs to pay the gas, electric, water,and upkeep of the factory and we all know those costs go up constantly.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  14. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

[​IMG]

:cheers2:

mudface likes this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Senior Member

73882156c32aea86e8cb9e6ac7a578a6 copy.jpg

RAG7890 likes this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

17. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

The prices are high but for a Custom Shop high end model from a "name" brand manufacturer they are right there and comparably priced with the others in this day.

PRS is constantly putting out Private Stock models that cost $7K- $15K+. Fender is doing Masterbuilt models in the $7K-$10K plus price range. Many ESP, Jackson, Charvel, etc.., etc.., Custom Shop guitars are are right there in the $10K plus price range too.

Yes you can go to some of the smaller custom luthiers that will do you a one off for WAY cheaper but that is only because their name isn't quite there yet to charge more. If it was they would be charging MUCH more than they do.

Try ordering a new Gil Yaron, Tom Bartlett, Ken Lawrence, etc... guitar from any of the bigger name luthiers and see what prices they quote you and how long you will probably have to wait.

They also charge the prices they do because they can.

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Those prices are wood duck prices IMHO.

I’ve never paid anywhere near those prices for FCS MB’s or PRS’s etc.

The other issue of course is resale. PRS PS tank like crazy 2nd hand.

19. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Senior Member

RAG7890 likes this.
  20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I don’t think it is fair to Gibson quoting those builders. The Nitro is right. The Woods are right. The Caps & Pots are right. The PU’s used are way better.........when you go this route.

For 7K max you can get an even better option than all you have mentioned Replica wise.

For 4.5K you can get a SC Custom that makes PRS PS look like nothing more than a Coffee Table.

I’m dumbfounded at how dumb the buying public really are.......& I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)