2016 Traditional discovery !

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by tjdjr1, Nov 18, 2018.

1. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

Bought this guitar in early 2016, it was made in December of 2015 and about a month after I got it the tuners started cracking which Gibson replaced. Soon after that the volume pots started crackling so I cleaned them with deoxit, but I needed to repeat this like weekly got tired of it and emailed support to complain and I was told "it was highly unlikely that 2 posts in the same guitar could be bad" and basically blew me off completely, never heard back from them after several emails, I gave up. So this morning I got tired of the noisy pots and tore it apart to change them and guess what the pots weren't even 500k pots ! I ran the numbers online and they are 300k linear pots.. Unbelievable ! I guess this is why they are in the turmoil they are in very inconsistent QC..

2. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Gibson doesn’t make their potentiometers. They buy them from a supplier. They were installed, tested and worked fine. Then months later they started crackling.

How exactly is this Gibson’s fault?

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Not necessarily "Gibson's fault" as they don't manufacture them,
    but they certainly have to address customer complaints and (maybe) faulty
    components they chose to install in their guitars.
    And honor the warranty or reasonable expectation of performance.
    My '92 doesn't "crackle" so how come a few months old pot would "crackle"?

It is as much Gibson's problem as it was any car manufacturer's
    for the Takata's inflatable bags they put in their cars.

Mockbel and lunchbox like this.
  4. Bobby Mahogany

It has been seen through the years, and officially exclusively from 1973: 300K volume pots, 500K tone pots.
    Even discussed here:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/traditional-2017-pots-value.403244/

The reason for the crackle is not that they are 300K.
    The reason is that they are either bad or of poor quality.
    Best thing you can do is buy a Modern or 50's wiring harness
    from one of the good MLP suppliers!
    You can actually talk to them and order what suits your style better.
    You'll be glad you did!
    :thumb:

@jonesy , @mssc, etc...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Frogfur and jonesy like this.
  5. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

I know the crackling is not value dependent, but the guitar was advertised to have 500k pots. And even though Gibson did not make the pots they did make the decision to choose the manufacturer and therefore it becomes Gibson's problem. I have LP's from 79 and 80 and the pots still do not make noise! So QC is a problem with Gibson and their suppliers ! Now I am second guessing if the correct pups are in it.....

6. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

I have found that pots crackle because either they have dust or dirt in them or the track get's worn spots on it. If some electrical cleaner doesn't take care of the problem then you probably need to replace them.

Cheaper made pots including some lower line CTS ones can have an inexpensive silk screened track that tends to wear off quickly. The track is the part that creates the resistance and changes as the brass wiper rotates across it when you turn the knob. Better quality CTS pots actually have a solid carbon track that will last for years.

Frogfur, Telechamp and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  7. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

Next time I change the strings I am going to check the bridge pickup to verify it is even a 57 classic +...

8. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

A tighter tolerance % would be nice.

9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

This is pissing !
    It is a Gibson guitar so Gibson is responsible of the whole guitar... not manufacturing the pots is a bad excuse.. if it is still under warranty, Gibson has to replace pots or you can return the whole guitar

10. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

I hav a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T and it has a pot for the neck pickup that makes a scratchy noise just before going on full 10 vol.

It hasn’t bothered me enough to replace it. I don’t even notice it really, many old Les Pauls also make pot noises from age.

Just replace it I guess if it bothers you. They’re not expensive.

This is the one ...

drpietrzak likes this.
  11. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

Ya this is pissing all right, I contacted Gibson several times and they were not willing to send replacements only denied that 2 pots could actually be bad in the same guitar, they quit responding. I finally gave up because I was pissing in the wind. Changing pots are no big deal, but when you pay a couple grand for a guitar this sh!t shouldn't be happening along with the fact the pots were the wrong value as well. You might be okay with a guitar that costs a couple grand having crappy quality control, but I am not. I guess pissing away a couple of grand has lower expectations for you, but I expect a quality piece.

Les Paul John likes this.
  12. Les Paul John

I’d hardly call replacing a pot or two “pissing away two grand”.

13. BKS

BKS Senior Member

My 2016 studio i had had bad pots. Send it back on .request and they changed the guts for a fresh set of pots. No. Problemo.

14. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

LPJ, You just don't get my point so why not leave it alone! When someone pays a fair amount for a product should they really expect to have the wrong/inferior parts ? Yes I like the guitar, it plays good and sounds good (now), but the name Gibson should stand for something and at least be consistent. Peace and done....

15. Bobby Mahogany

16. Les Paul John

I just replied because you were being rude to me, your tone is seriously lacking in board etiquette. I expressed an opinion which differs from yours. Most normal people understand just about everyone else has a differing opinion about most things. I work on guitars so I just change it.

If the guitar is a great guitar just change the pot either yourself or warranty. If no warranty just change it. I thought I was pretty clear about it.

I have a 58 Historic that had been in humid weather as a new guitar I’m guessing because part of the fretboard was pitted and funky from moisture. I simply steel wooled it then used a fret polishing cloth on the entire fretboard, oiled it etc.

The guitar is my number one ... if I had returned it I may have gotten one that wasn’t as satisfying.

Point being I’ve gotten small paint blemishes on new guitars and just kept it because you can play 20 guitars, same year, same model and only 4 or 5 will “do it for you”. If the guitar is excellent tonally I keep it.

People buy a real 58 and don’t squawk about a dirty knob.

Bobby Mahogany, BKS and endial like this.
  17. Bobby Mahogany

Yeah but they're used...
    :naughty:

;)

smk506 likes this.