2015 Les Paul Less Plus - thoughts 4 years later?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Mega Tron, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Mega Tron

Mega Tron Junior Member

Hello! I recently purchased a 2015 LP less plus. Due to lack of demand for these thin models, prices can be low for used ones in great condition. My quick take: I find the fretboard to be very comfortable. Nut/neck width is perfect for me coming from an Ibanez Wizard (neck thickness is a different story... :p ). I replaced the GForce system as well as the brass nut for the titanium one from Gibson- easy fix. Gibson customer support was very responsive; 6 days from my email to getting the nut in the mail! I have no strong feelings for the old or new headstock LP logo. If anything the LP 100 signature is probably more collectible, ugly or not. I prefer the ability to coil split over having a second tone knob. Again, coming from an RG, I'm used to a single knob for both pickups. With the 57s, I find the guitar to have that classic rock roar. I love the tummy cut, and I don't particularly miss the extra weight/depth to the body.

I've noticed that 2015 LP Classics, Traditionals and Standards haven't taken a resale hit lately and often are priced in the same range as other used LPs in the 2008-2018 range. Given that I am really loving this 2015 model, I'm wondering: 4 model-years later, what is the general community's perception of the 2015 models? Are the 2015 LPs great instruments that just happened to deviate too much from the classical Gibson formula?

Christosterone and smk506 like this.
  2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I have 2015 LP DC Special. Swapped out the tuners and replaced the bridge PU with a DiMarzio, and DAMN, this guitar rocks! The neck is pretty wide so it does take some getting used to, but I can adapt to most necks so, no biggie.

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I have a 2013 Custom Lite that I picked up dirt cheap. It is a great guitar that I can take anywhere. Despite the thin body, it isn’t that light.

No doubt some folk don’t consider them ‘real’ Les Pauls— but I don’t care.

4. Rob the Photog

Rob the Photog Member

My take, having only ever test-played a few 2015's in stores: I don't think 2015 was a "bad" year by any means, in terms of the quality of Gibson's products (there are both magical guitars and lemons in every model year). 2015 was, however, a MASSIVE deviation from the norm in terms of specs and so-called "features," so much so that people like me who prefer the tried-and-true formula for a good Les Paul, Explorer, V, etc., were really put off by the wider fretboards, brass nuts, robo-tuners, PCBs with push/pull everything, etc. Honestly, if any other company (like ESP or Schecter, for example) had introduced models with all of these features, I think they would have been taken for what they were by consumers; the fact that Gibson took their guitar lines that have such tradition and heritage and are held in such high esteem (and with such a loyal fan base), and contorted them into instruments that felt so utterly different, it was just such a huge shock. Are they bad instruments? No. Are they radically different from what most players want in a Gibson guitar? Probably, yeah, for the majority of players out there.

As for resale, who can say? To paraphrase the old adage, a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Give it 10, 20, 30 years, and who knows... I doubt that anyone in 1962 could have ever dreamed that the 1958/59/60 Gibson Les Paul Standard - a then-discontinued product line - would attain such legendary status and desirability. I personally don't think the 2015's will ever become highly sought-after guitars, but stranger things have happened :)

By the way, congrats on your recent NGD! :thumb: How's about some :photos:? I enjoy looking at pretty Les Pauls - even 2015's! :laugh2:

5. Mega Tron

Mega Tron Junior Member

Thanks! I'm new to mylespaul- is there a photos forum?

6. Rob the Photog

Rob the Photog Member

:welcome:

Nah, just post them photos here in your thread :thumb: Although, there are other themed photo threads, too (for example, there's a thread just for photos of Les Paul Studios, Tributes, and Fadeds).

You can create an album in your profile and add media to it, or you can embed from other sites such as Photobucket, Imgur, and Flickr. I do the former because I'm lazy and I haven't bothered to set up an account on a photo sharing site (I have a Flickr account, but it's ancient and I never use it anymore).

7. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I've sold off all but 2 LPs the last year or so, a '15 Less + is one of them if that tells you anything. If people don't like them, great, talk crap on the internet so the sheep think they suck, so that people like me can get them super cheap.

Lloyd_m and smk506 like this.
  8. frozenotter

frozenotter Defaulting to Dumb Premium Member

Don't mind if I do. :rolleyes: (as he stumbles to the front of the line)

My luscious '15 Deluxe..

As a newborn:
    [​IMG]

When she grew up:
    [​IMG]

:cheers:

9. Mega Tron

Mega Tron Junior Member

Very cool! Curious to know what it is about the Less Plus that you prefer.

10. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I love my 2015 Traditional. I had originally gotten one of the Less pauls to replace my old custom lite, but when I saw the trade going for a song a week or so later I knew I had to swap it out.

I like the robo tuners, I do wish they had crammed less features in it and made the basic functions a bit more intuitive, changing strings kinda sucks IMO, but it is what it is and what it is is my one guitar thats always tuned to pitch. I have even been using it to tune other guitars by ear off the '15.

The neck width is a non issue after a few hours play time, and coupled with the big ass XL neck profile it just fits. It reminds me of an old SG custom I got to play once, that thing had a beefy neck and it sure felt like a wider than normal nut width to me.

I also love the adjustable nut. It makes for an incredibly easy setup with uniform action and I doubt any of the naysayer worried about loss of tone (whatever the hell that means) or sustain have actually played one. I did briefly consider having the whole assembly removed for a bone nut with string spacing compensated to make use of the extra width, but it was a passing thought.

I do need to holler at gibson and get that titanium rep lament while they still have them, but the stock one has been doing great for me since I've had it.

IT does crack me up that suck a non traditional guitar has gibsons best (imo) PAF clones it :D

I hope the 2015 stigma continues so I can eventually get another traditional, in some kind of flame top or gold top.

frozenotter likes this.
  11. DLRG

DLRG Senior Member

Here's my Less+ (with my 2016 & 2014 Traditionals). Bought it in early 2017. All I can say is: very pleased. Plays well, nice comfortable neck. Great range of tones. Very happy with the G-force. Looks good. What's not to like? I would/will buy another.

DSC02363.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I bought a '14 MM that has the really thin body and belly cut and feel in love with it, so when the Less + came around, it was a no brainer. I didn't get mine until this last summer, at a flat out steal. I don't mind the wider neck, in actuality, I almost prefer it as I have big hands and since G doesn't really do real meaty necks anymore, it makes it feel bigger than it really is. It balances and feels really comfortable played sitting down. IMG_0812.JPG IMG_1057.JPG

13. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

love my 2015 junior,and i got it at epiphone prices.let the internet trolls keep talking crap about them,ill b uy em up cheap.

bilbarstow likes this.
  14. BigTim

BigTim Senior Member

Very nice color. And i like how the back is not painted. I have only played 1976 deluxe before and a 68 gold top with the mini humbuckers. Both had very good necks on them. The guy with the gold top had it since it was new. Anyways, good looking guitar!!

frozenotter likes this.
  15. BigTim

BigTim Senior Member

And another great looking guitar!!! I like the plainer top on that instead of so much flame maple. It really looks nice. I hear folks say that a plainer top wood sounds better than one that is really figured. Something about the grain being less tight that it resonates better. I am not going to argue any about it one way or another. However, it is a nice looking guitar!!

MSB likes this.
  16. LSAR

LSAR Premium Member

2015's were weird at the time and sort of a shock. I really liked a couple of the DC Specials I played, as well as a Less Plus. The neck took a second to get used to but that's it...I like a big neck anyway so not that bad. The nut has better quality replacement options, the tuners are an easy swap, and electronics are an easy swap and one I go into any guitar purchase considering...so overall nothing serious to complain about. The only thing a person couldn't change is the logo, and that's not really visible when playing anyway.

I'd own one if I found one I liked and it made sense at the time, same as any other model/year.

frozenotter likes this.
  17. frozenotter

Thanks, bro. :)

18. frozenotter

Those knobs, top, and pickups are all the stars lined up. Looks fantastic. :thumb:

MSB likes this.
  19. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I forgot about the funky signature on the headstock. It obviously doesn’t bother me too bad I guess. :laugh2:

20. Mega Tron

Mega Tron Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    Dougj, lakeburst, anorton and 3 others like this.