2015 Les Paul CM - Modding Question

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by lawrev, Oct 20, 2018.

1. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 Les Paul CM - brand new and in the box from Sam Ash. Great price too.

The first mod I am going to do is get rid of the robot tuners and put in normal ones. I'd like to get white button tuners like on a Junior. I was told by someone else that the 3 on a plate type will slide into the existing holes just fine, but that drill holes will need to be added to affix them to the body. Are there any other types/makes that would work with no major retrofitting? I hear Grover is a possibility.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Do you mean one of these?
    5944806E-E222-41B9-B1DB-15F9F59527DB.jpeg

marcelm and lawrev like this.
  3. Norton

Norton Senior Member

I’ve played a handful of the CM guitars. None of em had robot tuners.

Super cool stripped down rat rod guitars.

lawrev likes this.
  4. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

Yep. Got a 2015 with the robot tuners still on, and the 2016s had eliminated that, wisely. Once the tuners are replaced, the pickup is next. I want either a Gibson 57 Humbucker or a SD Pearly Gates. But I plan on playing the stock pickup for a while before I make any final decision.

endial likes this.
  5. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Only thing I slightly disagree with in the video is not pre drilling the tuner screws. It appears you will discover there are no holes drilled in the headstock with the G Force system.

lawrev likes this.
  6. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Let us know how you like the stock pickup. I like those guitars and Sam Ash is getting rid of the 2015 stock they are sitting on. As much as I like lower output pickups in a Les Paul if I had one of those I would put something a little hotter and nastier in it. Single pickup Les Pauls are not supposed to be polite.

endial, yamariv, Lloyd_m and 2 others like this.
  7. edselman

edselman Senior Member

The three-on-a-plate tuners are available from Grover or Kluson. They are stamped sheet metal like the originals and are nickel plated only. If your tailpiece is chrome you may want to swap that out so that everything matches. Also, the new tuners use press-in bushings. These need to be the conversion ones as the holes for modern USA Gibson’s are too large.

lawrev and mudface like this.
  8. edselman

edselman Senior Member

Another thing, if you just want white plastic buttons I believe that the only company that makes single tuners with these is Kluson (I could be wrong on this). They are still vintage correct, nickel and need conversion bushings. The other option is to put new buttons on your existing tuners, but that’s another issue I know nothing about.

lawrev likes this.
  9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Member

I have the exact same one. Love my robot tuners, especially because I'm tuning challenged, i.e fairly tone deaf.

lawrev and Arpeggio like this.
  10. Arpeggio

Arpeggio Junior Member

I have a ‘15 CM also. Like many others who bought one, I’d planned to ditch the robot tuners and the pup. After playing it, I’ll keep it stock for the time being, maybe forever. I plan to experiment with alternate tunings and this is a really good starting point for that. I’m very happy with the ‘61 Zebra pickup. Good crunch at the end of the dial and it cleans up nicely when you roll it back. This is a great guitar and I have zero regrets about its trimmed-down finish and features.

Gibsonian, lawrev and dc007 like this.
  11. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I am definitely getting rid of the robot tuners, but I will keep the 61 Humbucker a while to see what I think of it. I don't want something too hot, so I will be curious to see how this unit is. Normally I'd purchase a more expensive guitar (and just purchased a 06 SG to fit that bill), but this one is something I can see really cranking on.

12. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon Premium Member

Sperzel Ez mount tuners. No extra holes needed. The buttons can be swapped out for smaller ones.

Arpeggio likes this.
  13. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I had a '14 MM for awhile, and fell in love with the thin body. I've tried to like SGs, but never been successful. So much so I got a '15 Less + and sold my standard faded. Even my Studio Standard feels awkward now. These thin bodied LPs are sleepers, imo. I really never play the neck pickup, so quite frankly, this is almost the perfect LP for me. It doesn't have the bling, which turned me off for awhile, but it's got everything else I want. I'd obviously get new tuners, but I still don't get why Gibson puts 1 bridge pickup guitars knobs in the neck position.