2014 R8 in Kentucky Bourbon Fade

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by ADP, Sep 11, 2017.

Make the deal?

1. Trade

65.2%
  2. Keep the Custom, Keep the Strat

34.8%
  1. ADP

ADP Senior Member

So I have the opportunity to acquire a 2014 R8 in high gloss Kentucky Bourbon Fade. It only weighs 8lbs even on the dot and sounds amazing with factory custom Bucker pickups. My question and concern is the fact that I'd be trading two guitars to get it, and I'd like the forum's opinion on the matter. I'd be trading a:
    1988 Les Paul Custom Lite in Sunset Metallic with non original EMG'S/OHSC AND a 2009 AVRI '57 Stratocaster in Ice Blue Metallic/OHSC in mint condition
    For
    2014 Les Paul R8/OHSC (found here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/LPR-8-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc)

Would I be benefitting in the long run at an investment standpoint? What do you think?

IMG_20170910_213233.jpg IMG_20170910_213215.jpg IMG_20170829_131425.jpg

Attached Files:

2. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

By the look of it that link says its no longer available, so could be your and
    Answer. But in answer to your question. I don't think anyone can answer that for You. All are sweet guitars

3. ADP

ADP Senior Member

It's "unavailable" because I currently have it held in my name.

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

That R8 is worth $2,600 - $3,000 on the used market, compare that to what you could get for both your guitars, but you're going about this all wrong if you're counting beans.

Truthfully, your Custom will never be desirable or command a premium, the Strat is nice but like any other Strat, that R8 has a weak top and would probably sell on the lower side of the range. Point is, they are just guitars. Keep the ones you enjoy playing and don't worry if you'll be +/- $300 in 10 years time.

5. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

Get the R8.

ADP likes this.
  6. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

All depends on what they're asking for the R8 and whether or not you think you could sell the Custom Lite and the Strat for equal or more than that. It's a buyer's market right now and selling any higher priced gear is tough. If Guitar Center is willing to make that trade, I'd take it... unless you're really in love with that Strat.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

Tops are in the eye of the beholder. I actually don't like overly flamey tops that look perfect. I think they look cool, but just not my style. But, that's just me.

However, many do like them, and that will determine its resale value for most.

I'd trade. R8's are badass, and if you played it and love it, why not? Then pick up a used Strat down the road.

Tim Plains is right. +/- $300 or even $500 years down the road won't make a bit of difference.

8. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

That Bourbon fade is nice ...but that a weak top....

Me personally....would NOT do this....there is NO investment that will make a return.....Unless its a Strong top and you might break even....but this market is not so good.

But on the other hand, if your not attached to the custom and strat as Players.....and you think you will benefit from this R8 as a musician....then do it.....only you can make the final decision

9. ADP

ADP Senior Member

I very much appreciate the advice, I'm going to go in and play the scene by ear - if it turns into a real hassle I'll keep my Custom/Strat but I've currently got a 2014 VOS R8 that has an amazing top and weighs 8lbs 8oz - I'd love to have another one. This "new" one is a 2014 R8 full gloss that is a bit more red on the back and weighs 8lbs ON THE DOT. I really like the idea of such a light weight non-chambered LP. However, the "new" one has been played and has it's share of minor dings.

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

I'd trade your guitars for that R8. Otherwise I'd strip the top of that Custom and paint it black and replace the pickups with a proper set of burstbucker 1 and 2.

11. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I'd probably do that trade as one Historic LP is def not enough!
    I agree with the others re: the top on the R8. I do think it would look worlds better with the guard.

ADP likes this.
  12. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

I do t think the top is that bad. You will k ow if it's for you when you pick it up and play it. But you all ready know that lol

13. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

I'm with those who say 'do it.' I'd rather have that R8 than a LP CL+AVRI Strat. The values are close enough and the R8 will probably be uniquely good. Don't buy it as an investment though. If you want an investment sell your two guitars and buy Apple stock.

14. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

I say if it's your only chance any time soon of owning a Reissue and it immediately steals your heart, do it. Some might disagree, but Strats are a dime a dozen, and the other is not to my liking. But if you even have the slightest feeling you could do better after a few months of getting funds together, don't do it. You'll regret it instantly. I think a healthy tinge of doubt is healthy in any major decision, but beyond that no way. If you think you'll have the slightest urge in a year to trade up, or it's just to have one, don't do it.

ADP likes this.
  15. ADP

ADP Senior Member

Well... I didn't end up doing the deal. Basically I didn't think it was worth it considering it did not play as nice as my current R8, nor did it really play as nice as the '88 Custom Lite in side-by-side comparison. I should also mention that there were plenty of belt scratches and the neck had seemingly been rested on a solid edge of an amp when not in use. It is however a beauty! I put the pickguard back on while I was at GC and it really made it look amazing. This is a gorgeous R8 and someone will love it.
    IMG_20170911_110952.jpg IMG_20170911_112933.jpg

16. Sct13

Yea had that top been a bit stronger ....because that paint job is real nice ...but playability is Number one...and one should try to never be tempted by beauty alone....lord knows I do it all the time.......

ADP likes this.
  17. ADP

ADP Senior Member

So... I couldn't sleep last night, and this R8 is truly something special, so I had to just go back and buy it! And I still get to keep my '88 Custom Lite (which is also unreal)!

So it's officially New Guitar Day! Here is my 2014 Kentucky Bourbon Fade R8: IMG_20170912_143207.jpg

18. Sct13

:facepalm: :rofl: :run:

HNGD!

Your in it now! it will never end!!

Nice Color! and the Top is Ok in that view

I think we can officially diagnose you as hooked....

You present with the correct kind of symptoms.

ADP likes this.
  19. ADP

ADP Senior Member

The story gets better. I just felt like this guitar was too perfect in all the right ways, and then when I plugged it into my Victoria Sovereign the pickups blew me away. They're close to the real deal! Anyway, I decided to call Wildwood Guitars in Colorado because they usually get the light weight ones like this and I asked them if they sold serial number 842091 and sure enough that's where it comes from! I live in Aurora, IL.

So here's the specs for SN: 842091
    Brand: Gibson
    Model: Limited Run Historic 1958 Hand Picked Les Paul Gloss
    Finish Color: Slow Iced Tea Fade
    Weight: 8.27 lbs
    Top Wood: Slightly Figured Carved Maple
    Body Wood: Solid Non-Weight Relieved Mahogany
    Neck Wood: 1-Piece Mahogany Neck
    Neck Shape: Early '50s Rounded
    Neck Dimensions: .870 1st - .950 12th
    Fingerboard: 1-Piece Rosewood
    Fingerboard Radius: 12"
    Inlays: Cellulose Trapezoids
    Frets: 22
    Scale Length: 24.75"
    Width at Nut: 1 11/16"
    Frets: 22
    Headstock: Holly Veneer
    Binding: Slightly Darker Single-Ply Cream on Top and Neck
    Pickups: 2 Custom Wound Custom Buckers
    Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone; 3-way Toggleswitch with Thin Washer & Jackplate
    Hardware : Nickel
    Bridge: ABR-1
    Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
    Tuners: Kluson "Deluxe"
    Case: Gibson Custom Hardshell
    COA: Yes

Here it is with the Cherry Burst and the others!
    IMG_20170912_154340.jpg
    IMG_20170912_163405.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Sct13 likes this.
  20. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

Awesome score!!!! That's the perfect combo!!!!!!!!!