2014 Gibson Les Paul Special AAA Flame Top Semi-Hollow

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by GuitarRUSH, Feb 8, 2014.

1. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

I was down in the Miami area this week and went to the Guitar Center in Hallandale Beach. While browsing around, this guitar caught my eye...

[​IMG]

I believe it's a 2014 exclusive model (no 120th inlay either!) to GC. The thing was beautiful in person and sounded freakin' awesome! Only thing that I didn't care for was the slim neck profile, but otherwise it was a great guitar!

The floor manager got it off the rack and I was able to play it for a good bit. It attracted a crowd around me, and two other guys wanted to take turns checking it out. Everyone remarked how they'd never seen a Les Paul like that before.

[​IMG]

The top is really nice in person! Has a flat, thick maple cap and a nice 3D flame effect to it. The back has a belly-cut and has Grover tuners that held up well with play. The humbuckers are a 57 Classic in the neck, and a Super 57 at the bridge. Very good combo, plus they were coil tapped.

Comes with a hardshell case and street price is $1199. Not bad... my wife is going to have to hide my debit card and checkbook from me next month when our tax return comes in! :hmm:

There isn't a lot of info online yet, but go to your local Guitar Center and see if they have one in stock.

6 people like this.
  2. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Gibson hits another home run! :wow:

3. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

This thing has really nice natural binding (from the maple cap) as well. Just really a cool guitar all around.

4. Huck1far

Huck1far Senior Member

Hmmmm love the feel of a bellycut... Might need to find an excuse to head into a guitar center.

5. vartak

vartak Senior Member

Flat maple top?! meh...

6. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Meh.

I liked the Bantam series more. At least with those, you got ALL of the apoointments of a regular LP/Custom, but with TWO f-holes.

7. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

To me a Special is slab body and, no maple top! They shouldn't call it a Special.

8. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

Really like that top!

9. Farquad

Farquad Senior Member

That looks great! Congrats

10. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

I haven't gotten one... yet! :fingersx:

That was a pic I found off a Gibson forum thread.

11. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

looks cool and the price is not ridiculous plus slim neck!
    gonna have to try one.

12. circles

circles Senior Member

Very nice model!

13. markday

markday Junior Member

I bought one last week in CT, it plays amazing and I love the overall look. The one thing that is bugging me though, is the dot inlays on the fret boards. Why have they done that? its almost perfect... even the new LPJ has the anniversary inlays and that 480 bucks on amazon. Im torn, the Flame top SH is a great guitar, but the dot inlays are kind of bugging me:shock::wave: but I do love the single f hole and its 2 grand cheaper than the florentine. mmmm

1 person likes this.
  14. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

I visited Guitar center today looking for some odds and ends and I came across this exact guitar. I'm a Tele Paul player and was attracted to the non arch Top right away. The Flame Top was SICK. This one didn't have a 60's neck , more of a 59' feel to me. I didn't really get what the Push Pulls did (a non feedback mode???) for the F hole? :hmm: But I was really attracted to this guitar. Very unique and not like all of the other cookie cutter LPs and Fenders up on the wall. And the price was stupid for a Made in the USA guitar......

2 people like this.
  15. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Junior Member

I saw one of these at GC last week, looks fantastic. Didn't get a chance to check it out though

16. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

I'm getting serious bouts of pain.......I may have to go back to the store later tonight.........:fingersx: As nice as that one is , the one I'm looking at has an even nicer Top. really a sick looking guitar for the money.

2 people like this.
  17. sonar1

sonar1 Senior Member

Coil splitters like on newer Standards and Traditional Pro's, I'm betting.

18. cristi tanasescu

cristi tanasescu Senior Member

19. Bluntforcetrauma

Bluntforcetrauma Senior Member

Ditto

20. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

No of course I get that. These are different on this guitar. The bridge volume knob take high end off. Pull it up and it give a nice roundness to the tone. My take then why have a Tone knob 2 inches away? :hmm:

The other one I have no idea how it works. Pull the neck volume knob and it engages a "feedback limiter" designed for use with the Fhole holowbody. If someone here knows how that works please explain. Does nothing for tone at store playing volumes.

I spoke to the salesman . If GC lets me place it in the back so I can take advantage of the Presidents day sale coming up I might just grab this thing. There is only one in the store and you have to see this Top.