2013 Lester Traditional in Chicago Blue vs PRS Custom 24

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by frogmore, Nov 10, 2017.

1. frogmore

frogmore Junior Member

So I'm still suffering from a bad case of GAS and last weekend traded my 20th Anniversary PRS Custom 24 10-top in Mateo Blue for a beautiful 2013 Lester Traditional in Chicago Blue. As I told the owner of the Lester that my PRS was worth quite a bit more than his Lester Traditional he threw in a mint Sparrow 335, also in blue, and another mint Michael Kelly Patriot Supreme, all with their original hard cases. The Patriot is a really nice piece of work with 2 x Rockfield Humbuckers and a gorgeous flamed body; the output from those two humbuckers is so powerful it is the first guitar I've played where 10 becomes more like 11 as per Spinal Tap. if I knew nothing of Lesters, PRS and high end USA Strats and could have only one guitar the Patriot could actually qualify as a guitar for life. The Sparrow 335 is absolutely beautiful and well made and after fitting a set of 9s and the appropriate saddle and bridge adjustments it plays well with a sort of ultra clean early sixties pop flavour. This particular Sparrow with its stainless stell frets and Kent Humbuckers was made in Canada by a now defunct company which started out with all the best intentions as so many do. Anyway, the new blue Lester is just absolutely the dogs danglers and everything I had hoped she would be and more; my PRS was good and pretty to boot but not even close to the new love affair I have with my new blue Lester. I look forward to my fellow MLPeers comments.

Attached Files:

Biddlin, NJDevil, endial and 3 others like this.
  2. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

As great to look at as a PRS is, it doesn't sound like a Lester, good even great yes but not like a Lester. If that is what one wants, then Lester it is :)

I love my Traditional, the most how it sounds and plays, and yours looks really nice. Haven't seen it in Chicago Blue before but it fits. The other two looks like fun trades, I love my semihollow too, it sounds enough different from a solidbody to be interesting to play and make different sounds. And then you got another nice looking guitar on top of that, looks like a score!

endial and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

CONGRATS. I've thought MANY times about getting a Chicago Blue or Manhattan Midnight Lester myself. Enjoy dat Beauty.

4. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Looks like a nice set!

5. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

That's a damn fine trade you made!

Now, as the owner of one of them Blue '13 Trads I'm obviously biased, but I believe it'd be the right thing to post a couple (dozens) bigger pictures of that glorious thing.

6. frogmore

frogmore Junior Member

Yes I thought it was a damn fine trade too but the reason I won't be posting photos of my blue beauty is that it seems impossible to photograph her to truly show the gorgeous blue finish. When I first saw her advertised I asked the seller what colour it was as it looked black in the advert. When I met him and he opened the case I took her to the window to get some natural light on her and only then could I see just how beautiful the finish was; no photo can do her justice; believe me I've tried. You'll just have to take my word that Chicago blue and aged cream binding are just wonderful to behold. If any of my MLPeers ever have a chance to see & hold one they too will want to possess her at any cost. Although I ended up with a damn fine trade I would have given the seller my PRS and money to own her as soon as he opened the case; it was incredibly hard to conceal my lust for this beauty, but as a true follower of Mamon I managed to pull it off without a shred of guilt; as after all the seller showed the same lust for my PRS that I did when I first saw it; note that the PRS remains an "it" whereas my beautiful blue Lester will always be a "she". I think as my girlfriend says I probably need therapy.

endial likes this.
  7. fry

fry Senior Member

My friend and fellow MLP'er has the '56 Chicago Blue Epi LP. I know what you mean, the photos don't do it justice. I saw the stock photos and was like "meh". Then I saw it in person, what a looker! Hard to capture it in a photo.

8. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

Aw come on! Give it a try! I know it can go from black to blue to purple to watery awesomeness of the deep seas just by playing with the lighting, in fact I felt really tempted to post some examples of my own awful photographing abilities, but I want to see yours, not hijack the thread to show off. The rest of the world deserves to be part of the blue lust.

9. frogmore

frogmore Junior Member

Well allright then. I laughed so much at Juan's comments that I accede to his request for terrible photos. Note how my old Border Collie's eyes turned to gold after beholding the blue Lester.

Attached Files:

Juan Wayne likes this.
  10. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! 3 pics and it might as well be 3 different guitars. There's some magic going on with these blue things I can't get enough of.

11. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

Great acquisition and while I have nothing against the PRS, the '13 and '14 Traditional are my favorite. Great quality, chunky neck and killer tone. Gibson had a great year for quality in 2013 and I guarantee the honeymoon will last long on this one for you. Good job on grabbing the others also. Congratulations!

12. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Variety is the spice of life.

13. Lefty Adams

Lefty Adams Senior Member

The Traditional in 2013 was great, but the Chicago Blue Traditional in 2013 was REALLY great imo, nice one!!

14. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

A worthy trade indeed; sounds like you got some good gear output and hopefully suppressed that GAS for a while!

For me PRS is all flash and no bang, so it would definitely be considered a trade up.

15. frogmore

frogmore Junior Member

Thanks to all the MLPeers who said nice things about my deal on my new beautiful blue Lester; you'd think it was sufficient treatment for GAS, but absolutely not! There's a 2012 60's reissue Gold Top with Zebras in mint condition for sale local to me, and I hear a siren call from the gold Lester through the ether. I just sold a Krell KRC-2 preamp to a guy in Poland for exactly half the advertised price of the Goldtop and have almost convinced myself that I need another Lester to keep my blue beauty, my Joe Perry LP and my SG company. I have two high end USA strats and a very expensive USA luthier built Tele, all of which are great guitars, particularly the Tele, but none of them provide the the sheer lust and excitement of the two Lesters, or come to that the SG. That's it I've convinced myself, I'm going to contact the Gold Top guy; watch this space.

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

Moi aussi! The biggest fail for me is the warm feel that a Gibson Les Paul has vs the magnesium chill I get from PRS. No explanation, just my visceral reaction.
    Congrats to the op.

frogmore likes this.
  17. fry

fry Senior Member

PRS has a Godawful ugly headstock too. :D

Pesh and frogmore like this.
  18. frogmore

frogmore Junior Member

MLPeer Biddlin's comment is beautifully put. MLPeer fry's critique of the PRS headstock is spot on.

19. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

We have a guest player in our band, and he plays a USA Paul Reed Smith, and sounds amazing. In my hands, I can't decide if it's a Strat or a LP. Don't like it at all, but I guess it's just not for everyone. As for me, every great tone in my head comes from either a Strat, a Les Paul, or an ES-335.