2013 Burstbucker Pro Bridge/Lead, double sticker date, polarity inversed

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by camini, Aug 26, 2017.

1. camini

camini Member

Hey there,

I checked the pickups on my LP Std 2013, whilst rewiring the guitar and looking for a better tone, and I was surprised by these 2 findings:

- both pickups, had double stickers on them (on top of one another, which I carefully pealed off out of curiosity.. yes I know about the cat), with different dates on the stickers.

- the polarity of the bridge pickup is inverted (I checked with a compass)

Why would that be?
    These stickers that are put on a pickup with dates, what is their purpose, and why would one apply a new sticker 7 months after the first one was applied?

End of story is that the pickup did not do what it had to do and got replaced by a good old 498T that came from a Custom.. with a nice Gibson logo on it.

Why is there no Gibson logo engraved in the BB pros? Whilst there is on a 498T..

Cam WP_20170802_20_58_26_Pro.jpg

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Not sure on the double stickers......but maybe an old batch of stickers got 'discovered' and thrown in the box and used. Then they later discover the dates are for a wrong batch so got re-labeled?!?

Those standards have a lot of switching options. There is a PRS that has similar amounts of options and requires a RW/RP pickup for the coil cut operations to be in phase. Could be the reason.

The 498 is a different pickup, with a different baseplate. Just the way that the PAF and PAT# had different stickers, then the T-top had the PAT# engraved on the base, the Shaw had ink stickers and extra polepiece holes etc.
    That baseplate does double duty for the wider spaced bridge and the narrower neck. It has its own die to stamp it, as do the more PAF like bobbins that are on the 57's, BB's, CB's etc.

3. camini

camini Member

Hi
    Thanks for the response. It reassures me to know that the lack of engraved Gibson logo does not invalidate that it's a genuine Gibson Burstbucker pro.

It's true that with the Push pull, there were many sounds available, which I don't miss at all, given the way my guitar sound now with the 50s wiring on the neck, modern for 498T bridge and bumble bee caps.
    I love it.

I was just wondering what I should say on the advert for the BB pro Bridge.. Inversed polarity? Do you know if there is a way of knowing whether the pickup is reverse wound? And does it matter to a potential buyer?

Thanks.