2008 Faded Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by orionz06, Jun 24, 2012.

1. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

I have a 2008 Faded Explorer that was refinished with some tung oil and looks great. A low gloss finish and smooth. It has some dings from being used, a few on the front from stuff in practices but is otherwise great. Is it worth it to have it refinished to a solid color or should I just sell it and buy a factory finished guitar?

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Hard to evaluate a guitar without pics.

3. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

[​IMG]

I guess not to much a value question... Refinish what I have for whatever that price is or just buy one new (or used) for slightly more?

2 people like this.
  4. theNARDdog9

theNARDdog9 Senior Member

Refins can run up to $600+ depending on where you get it done. On a good day as low as probably 400...if you have to have a solid colored guitar, then buy a new one or new/used one. Otherwise, what you have looks great as is; I'd probably just keep it and use the money towards new pups and aftermarket parts.

5. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

Damn, didn't think it was that much.

6. theNARDdog9

Yea refins run quite a bit more than one might expect. If you think about it though, the equipment they use and the process is a long one--so it kind of makes sense that they cost so damn much!

7. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

Yeah. So for price of a used explorer I can have a *refinished* explorer... Not really as appealing when you dig around. I am not too concerned with resale value but a non-stock finish wouldn't net me any more money from what I can tell so it would be throwing the money away.

8. theNARDdog9

Yea basically if you want something nicer looking you're going to have to sell that one and buy a new Standard or something more expensive. The benefits to buying a new one are that they usually come with hotter/better pups than the Faded models as well as a few other perks...the downside is that you are limited to the finishes currently being produced by Gibson. On the other hand, a refin will allow you to try out some different color combos (like a pelham explorer! There's something you don't see everyday!)

9. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

496t and 500R are decent, something new gets me something different that might not be needed. I would just keep this one anyway since I have had it since new.

1 person likes this.
  10. theNARDdog9

So you're keeping it? Good choice. She looks damn good! Now go rock it!

11. Jmo166

Jmo166 Senior Member

DUDE THIS THING IS SOOOOOO HOT!!!!! I say leave it at is and play the Sh*t outta it!!

1 person likes this.
  12. Webtroll

Webtroll Senior Member

Wouldn't a refin be more complicated by the use of tung oil? A different look could be obtained by changing out the plastics and it'd be a lot cheaper than a refin.

13. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

I specifically want a solid color (or silverburst) Explorer. Actually both. The more I look at the KL Explorers one thing I like about them is their natural look. Took mine outside and guess what... It looks natural too.

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Senior Member

Not that my opinion matters, but I quite like your Explorer the color it is now. I've already liked the pic, enjoy!

2 people like this.
  15. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

thanks much!

16. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Senior Member

It might depend what color you want too, you're not going to find a stock turquoise explorer, but if you want black, those are easy to find and can be had for $650.
    And refins are expensive, but if you look in the luthier section, many people, many amateurs have done refins that turned out well, maybe not as perfect as a pro, but not bad by any means.

1 person likes this.
  17. Webtroll

Webtroll Senior Member

I refinished the top on my BFG. My first run was too clean, so I actually had to rough it up a little and satin top it to make it look right. That's just because it was a BFG, it shouldn't be too difficult to make it clean from the get go. My main concern is will the oil based finish that was applied cause a problem with the adhesion of a new finish?

My BFG: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/194291-ngd-bfg-content.html

18. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

I like the faded brown, leave it or sell it and get another one if you want one that's painted.

As mentioned, refin would be costly, especially since the grain on the fadeds was never filled, there's a lot of wood prep to be done on those before the painting even starts - not worth it.

19. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

I wish I could find one of those. I like that look for a Metal Guitar for sure. I've always liked the 500t pick up for Metal as well.