2002 standard to '59 'burst re-fin make-over project.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by badly drawn les, Dec 5, 2014.

1. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk Junior Member

Absolutely stunning good sir! I enjoyed reading the thread front to back.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Junior Member

Brilliant stuff Tony!
    Very inspiring. Im Gibsonless now for about 5 years so gonna have to remedy that!
    When I buy, hopefully it'll be heading to where the craic is good, in Cricklewood =)

1 person likes this.
  3. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Senior Member

I keep on returning to this thread over and over again,as it's one of my fave's.:thumb: Im going thru the into freezer out of freezer routine at the moment with an "experimentation guitar" (a tatty old LP that nobody would want to own :laugh2:) Ive used goldtop paint from the same source as you (BDL),so hope I should get a similar result. Finger's crossed.

4. badly drawn les

badly drawn les Senior Member

I hope you've let it cure. Hang it in this lovely sun while it lasts.

5. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Senior Member

The "gold" is about a month old,and the guitar has been tucked away in our very very warm loft.
    So far Ive had the guitar in and out of the freezer about 4-5 time's. The problem is that Im impatient.:laugh2: I seem to manage freezing the guitar for about 2-3 hour's and then cant resist taking it out to thaw.
    I made the mistake after the first removal from the freezer to blow hot air over the guitar from a hair dryer. It's funny but if I think back long enough,I'm sure that I used to use a hair dryer to dry my hair. Hair today,gone tomorrow....:laugh2:
    After having a bit of a re-read of this lovely thread,I noted that I should be doing thing's a bit more slowly. Im alway's in a mad rush.:laugh2:
    Ive just placed the poor guitar into the freezer before coming on line here,and this time Im determined to let it freeze properly tonight.
    Thank you again BDL for being a good egg and an inspirational leader of all thing's gee-tar related.:thumb:

6. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

This is the most amazing thread I've ever witnessed. Amazing job, badly drawn les. Is it bad to admit that the thought of doing this to my Traditional is now crossing my mind?

7. Dav2112

Dav2112 Junior Member

Sorry to post in an old thread, but this work you've done here is amazing, this site is great but it also makes me super jealous seeing all of the epic Les Pauls you guys own.

I need to get myself a sunburst finish LP style guitar badly, probably be a MIJ guitar like another Tokai again as I've been happy enough with my current one, but I want a flametop with a nitro finish and a nice 'burst too.

8. Chakalawaka

Chakalawaka Junior Member

Hi Tony,

That's great work mate, really impressive ! (Amazing job on the goldtop too) Really dig the checking on that top :)
    So... out of interest, I was wondering if you would consider doing it for my guitar, and how much would it be to do the same job ?

you can pm me at alexisfloquet@gmail.com

Thank you in advance

9. deaninkl

deaninkl Senior Member

wow that was spectacular, lovely work.

"clean as a whistle".... I think refers to 18th and 19th century steam whistles.. they were clean.. ;o)