2001 Gibson Les Paul Special Under $400

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by jonpowl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jonpowl

jonpowl Member

I just purchased a 2001 Les Paul Special. I have searched the internet and eBay, but cannot find many pictures or info of other Les Pauls like this one. If anybody has any additional info, it would be appreciated. I just talked to Gibson Customer Service and they said the serial # indicates it is a 2001 Les Paul Special SL. My price: under $400, good or bad? It is in good but not new condition, humbuckers, some belt rash, two small pin head dings on front, no cracks, repairs, all original, gig bag, everything works. It might need a professional set up.
    View pics here:

Attached Files:

straybeat, jlu52 and Username1 like this.
  2. Bing17

Bing17 Senior Member

A good price? That's an amazing price!!!! I have been looking for a special for a while, doing the craigslist thing, and have yet to find one for under $600. You're a lucky guy, what a score!

3. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

That's the one with the flat mahogany body and 490 series pickups, correct?

I think they went for $599 new back in the early 2000s, but they may have gotten more expensive prior to being phased out of the line. Seems like you got a good deal on a nice guitar.

jadslash likes this.
  4. Bing17

Bing17 Senior Member

Correct on the specs. I REALLY want a flat top, myself, so I can get artsy with design and don't want to spend a lot simply to defile it.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

That's a steal, man. Congrats.

- D

6. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

Very nice score bro

7. jonpowl

jonpowl Member

I have been looking for quite some time on the local SF Bay Area Craigslist and have seen a few at $550 and up. This one was posted on the Monterey Craigslist and Monterey doesn't have quite the number of players like Santa Cruz and the Bay area. He probably could have got $150+ more if he advertised in the Bay Area. I really wanted P90s or P100s, but oh well....

8. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon Premium Member

Isn't one on ebay for 19k....ha ha ha

9. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

Paid $500 for mine with hardshell case. The market on these is generally $500-600, so you got a really good price.

10. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

That's a les Paul Special SL with humbuckers. A long name for such a simple guitar, but some came with P-100s instead of humbuckers. These have a UV cured Poly finish as opposed to Laquer (SL= Sans Laquer) These were musician's friend exclusives since circa 96 or so, and eventually in the early 2000's hit all the big chains before being replaced by the Faded Special w humbuckers. The SL humbucker versions were only available in natural and ebony finishes. I saw these on MF sell between $599 and $799 new.

Buy Gibson Les Paul Special SL Humbucker Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Gibson Les Paul Special SL: Harmony Central User Reviews

Gibson Les Paul Special HB: Harmony Central User Reviews

Here's a pic of mine and it's my main axe (and the 2nd SL ive owned):

[​IMG]

If you need a hardeshell case for yours I highly recommend the TKL 8824:
    http://www.casesandmore.com/TKL-Cases-TKL-8824-WK1420.html

!

jadslash likes this.
  11. jonpowl

jonpowl Member

Thanks Marc1Kim! My LP is just like yours. It looks like a keeper, although my Melody Maker is really comfortable for late night non-amplified playing on the couch. I appreciate the info and links.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

icantbuyafender likes this.
  12. killaconrad

killaconrad Senior Member

I'm curious- this guitar is almost but not exactly the same as my Special Faded. The most obvious thing to my eyes is the trapezoidal fret markings. (Mine has dot markings.) I believe my Faded and the SL both come with a 490R and a 498T. The other hardware also looks identical to me. And they are priced almost exactly the same. Why are the 2 guitars separate? And why were such awesome and cheap guitars discontinued?!

By the way, great deal, Jon!

13. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

SL= sans lacquer? I didn't know that. Thanks.

14. jonpowl

jonpowl Member

Killaconrad,
    It appears that Gibson has discontinued the Special SL (2003?) and HB (2005?), but you can still buy a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded at Musician's Friend @ $799 w/gig bag.

15. killaconrad

killaconrad Senior Member

Jon,
    Good point, but that guitar is from another line (Studio) AND has a carved top! I've played that Studio at my local GC and personally don't care for it very much. I think it has the same pups as the Special Faded and SL, but it has the 59 neck. My thought is that on a stripped-down guitar like that, you want to go with a faster, more modern neck.

I'm still confused why Gibson stopped making Specials in that vein. I thought they were popular - I have three buddies who play that very model!

16. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Ahh... let's see that Melody Maker! I love the thin bodies on those. Just picked up a Les Paul Melody Maker:

[​IMG]

Wraptail, icantbuyafender and jlu52 like this.
  17. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I sold one JUST LIKE THAT ONE last year for $660! That's a great deal!

18. jonpowl

jonpowl Member

That is one sweet Melody Maker! Is the color black?

Attached Files:

19. krabby5

krabby5 Member

I had a Special Faded series taht I bought in 2003-2004 or so for $400 from Musicians Friend as a Blemish..blemish?..it was a FADED..:D

I immediately put EMGs in it and played the crap outta that guitar

The EMGs got old, so I just sold it for $500 w/case..

I actually miss that guitar already...:rolleyes

20. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Nice one you've got there. :thumb:

The finish on mine is Satin Black. Very thin. These ones (Les Paul Melody Maker) were made from 2003 to 2006, came with the p90 and the TOM/stoptail. Kind of like a mashup of the LP, the MM, and the Jr. I think I remember a promotion back in 2003 or so where they were giving them away free if you bought a Standard. :laugh2: