2 for the road...

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by FrankiePRS, Jul 18, 2007.

1. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I've already posted numerous times about how much I love my 80's Burny LPs, as well as how impressed I am with Will Bogg's Vintage-Wire pickups. And I've always dug the asthetic of the Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Customs. I'm so stoked about the combination of the two that the repaired-headstock Burny Black Beauty with WBs in it is firmly entrenched as my favorite live Lester. I wasn't crazy about the flames I painted on it, but I wanted something a little different. So...

I re-did it again. This time, I based the look on my John Sykes model, with a few personal touches, and then I made the JS match as closely as possible as my backup LP, because I like it a lot too. Basically, they're both all black and chrome except for the creme binding & purfling. Visual mods include chrome pickup rings (thanks to Sleeping Tiger!), chrome toggle rings (what a pain to find!), , chrome toggle tips, chrome pickguards, chrome knobs (2 different types) and chrome TRCs. Plus of course the iron crosses.

Front view:

[​IMG]

2. FrankiePRS

Back view:
    [​IMG]

Electronically, both guitars are sporting Sprague caps and CTS pots. Demon 1 has Will's pickups in it, and Demon 2 has an early Burny VH-1 in the neck (VH-1's are the best PAF clones I've ever used, bar none) and an early Burny VH-6 (basically an overwound VH-1) in the bridge. Both have necks typical of these 80's Burnys, similar but not identical to to Gibson's rounded 50's carve. (They feel a lot like the LP equivilant of the PRS regular carve to my hand) Another huge deal for me is that they both have mahogany caps, which is what got me looking at Burnys way back when in the first place. They also have mahogany necks. Unlike Gibson's LP Customs, they have rosewood fingerboards (instead of Ebony). They also come from the factory with deep tenons and absolutely perfect fret-edge binding.

So the live arsenal currently (and into the forseeable future, i think) now consists of Casper and Spooky (both Pearl white 1986 PRS guitars), and D1 and D2, plus at least one wild card. Two white PRS's, two black LPs, and 1 or 2 others. I LIKE IT!!

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

Look great Frankie.

I quite like the Fenders behind as well

4. FrankiePRS

Thanks JR. I do love my old Fenders. What great tone, even if they're not "boutique". :rolleyes:

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

:applause:

thank god they are pre-boutique or pre-bulls**t as I say :naughty:

6. Big Mike

Big Mike V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Those rawk.

7. Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66 Senior Member

Your Burnys look sinister. I'm new to the whole Burny/Edwards/Japanese Les Paul movement, but here are mine.....an 80's Burny LP Custom in almost DEAD MINT condition, and my Edwards Les Paul Juniors.......

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. FrankiePRS

VERY cool Bluzboy!! So back me up here... is that all-mahogany 80's Burny the shiznit, or what? Nice clean one too! I have a CSB one that's close to mint and a real nice stock BB too. I love these things. Cool Juniors too.