1999 Lefty Les Paul Project :)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by norton.rider, Mar 8, 2018.

1. norton.rider

norton.rider Junior Member

Hiya everyone had this baby since I was 10 treasured it although I couldn't really play it very well after a few bad lessons when I was a kid. Glad I looked after it

Luckily gave Fender play a go and really loving playing guitar again, Doing a lotta bluesy stuff, on the Epi' and on a AVRI Strat I've got

Joe Bonamassa, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King and some Jeff Beck stuff learning about more blues players as the weeks go on.

Did take it into a local shop for a nut replacement and setup something Im after re doing myself

Issues I've found so far with her are as follows, Tone Controls do nothing but on and off,
    Pickup selector is crackling its head off and one isn't working when on the middle position.

Not had a look at the wiring but thinking of putting some new wiring and pickups in her,

Question is whats everyones Fav wiring and Paf Style Pickups for a nice 59 tone? Was reading how the bridge can have an influence to and tail piece.

Anyone from the UK have recommendations supplier wise for the Wiring :)

Here's some mobile phone shots of her got some clips on my Instagram to of her being played into and without an amp,

www.instagram.com/norton.rider

Any advice or opinions will be awesome :D really looking forward to getting stuck in,

From what I can find on the 1999 and the serial number
    Made in the Saein Plant In Korea in August 1999
    Set Mahogany neck with slim taper profile
    rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
    gold "les Paul Model" silkscreen on headstock
    Modern Clipped-Ear Headstock
    22 frets
    24.75 Scale
    1.68"nut (not sure what the shop replaced it with) as they were having a nightmare getting a lefty one.

Alcino Classic Humbuckers
    Locktone Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopper tailpiece
    Vintage style Epiphone Green Key tuners

IMG_20180226_072051_026.jpg IMG_20180226_114201_882.jpg IMG_20180226_230106_154.jpg IMG_20180227_221648_900.jpg IMG_20180307_202613_631.jpg

JohnnyN likes this.
  2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Nice Les Paul! :)
    New electronics wired in 50s style would be my recommendation. Check out https://www.axesrus.co.uk for pots and complete wiring kits.
    As for 59 PAF style pickups it really depends on what kind of money you will put into it. I can recommend the Vintage PAF replicas from Mojo Pickups UK and Mules from Bareknuckle Pickups.
    Next to them Seymour Duncan 59 are great sounding in most Les Paul type guitars, and if you are on a tighter budget Tone Rider Alnico IV or Irongear Blues Engine pickups will do the job.

Nice Norton too! :)

norton.rider likes this.
  3. norton.rider

norton.rider Junior Member

Awesome thanks Johnny :) some really cool info to start looking at

JohnnyN likes this.