1997 Tokai Wiring Oddness

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by urbanopolis, Oct 18, 2018.

1. urbanopolis

urbanopolis Junior Member

IMAG6282.jpg

I took a look at my 97 Tokai LS75s wiring today as I may replace 1 or both pickups. I came across this and it seems odd to my as compared to my Burny. The output jack is connected to the top of pot rather than the toggle? Can anyone explain this mess to me. Original wiring or not? everything is working well and the pickups sound better than I expected. They are not labelled "LP Old"
    As well the treble doesn't really start cutting with the tone post until I reduce it to about 4

any help appreciated..

2. villager

villager Senior Member

ground is ground, but i highly doubt if thats original!!

3. urbanopolis

That's what I suspect as well. I may just leave it. The pickups sound darned good and a lot better than I have heard they should. If I get replacement Pu's I'll probably do upgraded clean wiring too.

4. o0mobius0o

o0mobius0o Senior Member

Too messy for original factory. Audio taper pots on the tone side and that's typical. The pink wire is probably coax and that red wire from the switch is tied to the center conductor. 1 or both of the pickups don't look original. If you do rewire, a USB cable makes a good switch wire.

BKS likes this.
  5. villager

villager Senior Member

good tip

o0mobius0o likes this.
  6. urbanopolis

I am starting to think these pickups have already been replaced. Maybe thats why it sounds good. I had the neck pickup out and didn't see any markings (I'll have to look again). I don't remember seeing and white lead with the braided shielding on the neck pickup for a Tokai 97 in my research. I typically see yellow and green pickup leads? As well, the bridge PU has that thicker long black lead?
    I may never know whats in there. I'd assume that if someone swapped them, they'd have went for some sort of upgrade..but you never know.

Thanks for the help.

joe

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018