1986 Custom - buying my first Gibson, need advice.

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by MoMo, Oct 30, 2017.

Buy for 2.000?

1. Absolutely!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Nope.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buy, but for less.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. MoMo

MoMo Junior Member

Hmm, ok.
    Actually I don't mind a fairly high action myself. However I do like 52-12s with a wound third and play in dropped D or Standard. You would recommend to take lighter strings? Didn't think it would make that big of a difference...

2. MoMo

MoMo Junior Member

There is one of these below all those washers. Saw it before he put all of them in. You can barely see it all the way in there. It's not silver more like brass/gold.

Who likes this.
  3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

It's interesting to see such disparity in apparent truss-rod length, between yours and my 1987.

Mine has a single washer, and the rod doesn't extend all the way into the nut.

Mine (truss rod adjusted properly):
    [​IMG]
    Yours:
    [​IMG]

Are your washers crushed into the wood?

Even if they are, it's not the worst thing to have happen.

Check out this useful video. It doesn't specifically cover what you have, but the detail of the truss-rod is well laid out:

MoMo likes this.
  4. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

I won't recommend smaller strings if those heavy ones are what you are used to :)

But going from 012's to 010's would lessen the pull on the neck with something like 10 - 15 kg (guesstimate), and might indeed make a noticeable difference in the necks bow.
    Then again, if the neck is truly crooked, it might make no difference at all.
    ....maybe try tuning down all strings by 2-3 half steps first and see if your neck gets noticeably straighter. If it does, then at least you'll know that thinner strings could help in straightening out the neck.

But if the above works, it is still just a small emergency fix which doesn't adress the real problem - because any guitar neck worth its salt should be able to take a set of 012's in standard tuning and still be adjustable to perfect straightness :)

Who and MoMo like this.
  5. MoMo

MoMo Junior Member

Ok, this makes me think I will bring it to a different tech. I just want to make sure I am not screwing anything up and when I have it taken care of and the tech's green light I can rest easy, whether with 12s or 10s on there...

DarrellV likes this.