1984 Studio Standard Repair Questions

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by JoshB, Jan 6, 2018.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

Now aren't you glad you didn't sell it? That's a beautiful piece of history from a small window in time at Gibson.

Like mine they came and went without warning and were never made again.....

And they are a quality guitar in their own right besides being something special!

JoshB likes this.
  2. JoshB

JoshB Member

I actually have to lift it back up a bit. I kept lowering it when I was doing set up to try and even out the volume and it's actually recessed at the moment lol It will jazz, just the new pots take a bit more precise twiddling than before,

3. DarrellV

If you find things too bright you can always do this mod to the tone pot. I used the bridge tone pot as this one was really bright.

Just slap a 1 meg resistor on the pot leg and you'll get an instant 330 Meg tone pot.

JoshB likes this.
  4. bufbills

bufbills Senior Member

guitar looks great. Glad you took the time to get it right!

JoshB likes this.
  5. JoshB

JoshB Member

I have a question for Studio Standard owners. I recently ordered pickup bezel screws and pickgaurd mounting hardware. I went with nickel but looking at it on the guitar it just doesn't look quite right. I still have the old bezel screws in and they are dark colored but they are very corroded so I don't know if they were originally chrome or not. The hardware that was on the guitar - pickup covers, bridge etc - is chrome. I'm putting nickel parts on because I changed the bridge pickup to one with a nickel cover. Were the bezel screws originally black on these? I don't want to get too far from stock; I would have kept the screws the same except I'm missing some and I lost the pickguard screws, bolts and nut. The pickguard bracket which I assume is original looks like nickel but maybe it's chrome.

6. JoshB

JoshB Member

She's coming along! Almost done with my refresh. 20180304_213744.jpg 20180304_213728.jpg Here's a close up of the screws etc I was asking about.

I changed the bridge pickup to something a little on the hot side. Now that I've had some playing time I think I'm going to be keeping an eye out for something in between the original Shaw and SD 59 Hybrid that I put in. The SD sounds great but it doesn't clean up as well as I would like when I roll the volume off.

Other observations on the sound: The '50's wiring kit got me some high quality pots and caps and opened up the high end response magically but I'm not sure that I like the way the tone and volume knobs work. I am realizing that the tone roll off with the volume knob is something I miss and the mild effect the tone control now has on the volume is not something I'm particularly enamored of. Also, the tone adjustments are really mild until the knob is turned 3/4 of the way down then it is fairly drastic. I end up doing a lot more fiddling with both knobs and it's not as intuitive as standard wiring is, but maybe that's just 25 years of having things act a certain way. It's still incredibly better than it was; I've had this guitar for 20 years now and never loved it; now I think it's headed towards being my main guitar. I have a '62 RI Strat that has been my beast of burden since I traded an SG for it 15 years ago; it's been relegated to case duty since I got this Les Paul working (mostly) right.

I'd like to express my appreciation again for the input and support you all have given me especially DarrellV for his knowledge and enthusiasm and MSB for the hookup on the new bridge.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Z2112 and DarrellV like this.
  7. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I don't think they make different (nickel or chrome) surround screws, just silver or black. If yours look dark, its probably just corrosion. My pick guard bracket looks to be chrome like the rest of the hardware.

the guitar looks great so far

DarrellV and JoshB like this.
  8. DarrellV

Funny, I'm still working with my 50's setup too....

I switched it over from modern a couple weeks ago so I could blend both pickups better.

Now it acts really weird in the middle position, which is one of my favs.

Controls are lumpy at best, the volume dies almost immediately upon turning either knob, then comes back up after about 8 or so.

Very touchy too. A little movement makes a big change.

I'm going to play it for a bit but will likely end up changing the pots again for lower value ones. 500's are too bright for me.

And the 50's wiring thing produces some incredibly beautiful middle position tones, but is way too touchy and weird in the way it works.

Got to be something better....

JoshB likes this.
  9. JoshB

JoshB Member

Another question on pickup bezel screws: I ordered replacement screws; they are wrong - too skinny. I'm thinking maybe different years of Gibson's had different bezel screws? Does anyone know where to source the correct screws or have any experience with different era guitars when it comes to pickup mounting rings?

10. MSB

MSB Senior Member

All the ones I've dealt with were this size (or close enough) IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0561.JPG

11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either clean it up and sell it or mod it to suit your preferences. You're not looking at a vintage resale goldmine in any case. You don't even like the guitar much yourself. It's not rare; many would argue that newer production of that same model is superior. If you know pretty well what mods would personalize this for you in a sgnficant way, do that. Otherwise, sell it and move on. Taking something you don't really like and trying to turn it into something you love is not a good approach unless you can really imagine a redone version of the guitar in a form that would thrill you. Will a couple of PU changes thrill you? Maybe. Maybe not.

12. DarrellV

Or turn it into a hobby...;)

Z2112 likes this.
  13. JoshB

JoshB Member

I'm quite fond of this guitar now that I have repaired and lightly modded it with the help of the members here. I've also owned a 1989 or 1990 Studio (and played numerous other LP's) and I will agree that those guitars from the late eighties to the mid nineties were some of the best iterations, however, this one is getting "there", it'll never have an ebony fretboard or a mahogany body but that doesn't preclude it from becoming a nice player. I shouldn't say "becoming"; this thing is a beast now.

Some of my questions may be a little inane but the answers and input I've received here are not. My desire to get things right has little to do with money; more to with personal satisfaction and enjoyment. Nonetheless, i want the correct screws and hardware. I actually effed up getting a couple of nickel bits on there. I was looking at the tuners and they looked like nickel under lights but they are chrome and the SD pickup I put in has a nickel cover so I was thinking down the road I'd just go all nickel but the Shaw neck PU is awesome, the SD is probably going to get swapped at some point and the tuners are actually OE and chrome. It won't take much to get back to chrome though.

I have a Fullerton era RI Strat that has had components replaced and modifications made to the point that a collector would question whether its a fake or not (I may be a little bitter that the PO stripped the finish off...). It has very little value left monetarily despite being a helluva guitar and it doesn't offer what it was designed to, a vintage guitar experience, so the enjoyment/satisfaction for most people is lessened.. It's damn easy to start going down that road when repairing a guitar. The mods I've done can be rectified in 30 minutes with a solder gun and a little online shopping for a correct bridge.

Sorry to sound defensive if I'm reading you wrong

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    DarrellV likes this.
  14. MSB

MSB Senior Member

to piggyback my other post, I know I have plenty of leftover black screws if you're interested. I'll have to dig around my parts bins for silver ones (been a bit out of the guitar loop since the little one), so those I can't say for sure.

DarrellV likes this.
  15. JoshB

JoshB Member

Thanks, but I don't want to abuse the privilege and send you to the post office again! I'll figure it out, just have to figure out some bits and bobs to make the $10 minimum from allparts lol Now if I could just source some PAF stickers for the pickup rings...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    DarrellV likes this.
  16. DarrellV

^^^^ This! :thumb:

Check out my post over in the 'has this ever happened to you' thread! :wow:

Brothers! From another mother!:cheers2: :dude:

That's EXACTLY what I meant when I suggested to 'make it a hobby', LO!L:rofl:

17. JoshB

JoshB Member

I'm not finding that thread. Link?

18. DarrellV

19. DarrellV

Just checking in @JoshB to see how you are making out...

I also wanted to update my comment on the 50's conversion.

Turns out I had an out of phase issue with one of my pickups.

Got it sorted out and now everything works as it should.

JoshB likes this.
  20. JoshB

JoshB Member

Not a lot of progress. Life has kept me jumping lately. Sent my Strat in for a refret, once that comes back and I get an idea of what his work looks like it will probably be the LP's turn; might just get a dressing depending on what he sees after the strings come off. Got some pickup ring screws in but I haven't even had a chance to open the box.

DarrellV likes this.