1984 Studio Standard Repair Questions

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by JoshB, Jan 6, 2018.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

[​IMG]

This type of corrosion could be caused by a previous owner being of the type that produces noxiously acidic sweat...

There are a few on here who know what I'm talking about and some stories I've read where they can only use a set of strings once!

One guy got his guitar back from a loaner to a friend and it was ruined in such a way that they had to guess it was the guys sweat that did it!

I would think just a Gibson replacement would suffice since the source of the sweat has been removed...

Unless..... it's YOU!! :wow::run:

JoshB likes this.
  2. MSB

MSB Senior Member

JoshB likes this.
  3. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I also know someone who has a couple sets of basically new nashville bridge and TP combos in chrome they'll probably never use...

JoshB likes this.
  4. JoshB

JoshB Member

It is absolutely me.

DarrellV likes this.
  5. JoshB

JoshB Member

Hmm, I had kind of made up my mind to do a Tone Pros locker on there but if the price is right from "someone" I could be interested. The tolerances are awful on my inserts and posts so I need those too though.

6. MSB

MSB Senior Member

quite frankly, as long as you cover shipping...

DarrellV likes this.
  7. DarrellV

I'm pretty sure that the SG and Les Paul models used a similar set of hardware, but I'm not the expert on that. There are cheaper sets out there, and some nice nickle ones too...

Why the nut and tuners too?

But if you must, I did see a tuner, bridge and tailpiece set from Stratosphere on there too. The whole shebang.

Seems like the first thing you would have to work out is whether you are going to play it or sell it. The rest will fall in line from there.

The harness kit would be first to see if it brightens up enough for you.

I would just get a new bridge for 20 bucks to slap on there and the heck with the tarnish on the tailpiece. It doesn't affect the function.

Once you've got it playable with new bridge and harness-pots-caps you will be in a better spot to see if you want to take it further or dump it.

YMMV, but it sounds like a plan to me....

JoshB likes this.
  8. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Gents, just to chime in...a Nashville is a Nashville is a Nashville, however many SG's in that era had the "harmonica bridge". I never saw a Lester with one of those. I believe they were due to reduced neck angles on SG at the time. So if the "SG" bridge referenced above is one of those, I would hesitate.

This is what you need I believe:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...guitar-bridge-with-large-metric-posts-nickel/

:cheers:

9. DarrellV

Hey Pappy, the description says metric posts.. He has a US made Studio Standard, shouldn't that be US thread?

I saw the one he referenced earlier and it was a Nashville TOM and tailpiece / studs for an SG. I can't imagine Gibson making different tooling for different models, but....

Pappy58 likes this.
  10. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Yup my bad. Clicked the wrong part! :facepalm:..should be the standard not metric..and I dont know what the deal was with that harmonica bridge but it was on lots of SG's in the day...yes I agree seems strange they would do both but like I said I think there was a neck angle change that went with the harmonica...

Just to cover my tracks. :)

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...luminum-tune-o-matic-nashville-bridge-chrome/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    JoshB likes this.
  11. JoshB

JoshB Member

I would do the tuners if I'm going to nickel and if I'm keeping this thing - my tuners are in decent shape but they have some mild corrosion. I believe the nut is not stock; that is not a problem in/of itself, it's just cut a little deep for my tastes. I don't like real low action; I'm a minimal soloist; and I'm a pretty durned snappy rhythm player so l'll get the low E flapping on the frets depending on what style of music I'm playing. Honestly; for most things, a Tele or a Strat with strings a little on the heavy side really suits my tastes. Given the lighter string tension on the LP I'm probably going to set up for 11-52 strings; I have a feeling the nut that's on there isn't going to agree with that too much.

You pretty much outlined the plan of action I came up with.

12. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

If you think the nut slots are too deep now, and plan to go to 11's, you might find the fit to be good! I would surely test the fit.

I have an 86 SS, that I restored from a beaten and abused existence. Let know if some specific pics would be helpful. The original Nashville on this was good, but it's nothingdifferent than a common Nashville.

IMG_0370.jpg

mudface, DarrellV and JoshB like this.
  13. DarrellV

That's nice Pappy! :thumb:

Pappy58 likes this.
  14. JoshB

JoshB Member

So I just threw the bridge on after doing a little soldering on the pickup selector. I top wrapped the tailpiece (used the old one so I didn't mar the new one). I haven't plugged it in yet but the difference acoustically is amazing; I'm certain that the strings bottoming out on the back of the bridge and my worked to death saddles were killing the harmonic response.

I still have some adjusting to do. The intonation is not perfect now even though I eyeballed the old bridges saddle positions. I also put on a set of strings with a wound G by accident (just didn't read the package before I got to the G and was like "hmm what's this then??"). Even with the jazz set with a 49 bottom the string tension isn't as high as I would like so I'm going to find maybe a 52 bottom set? Maybe even bigger and I will have to do some truss rod tweaking. Right now I'm tuned to D standard with this set because I could see the neck wanting to horseshoe a bit. I've never done this before so rest assured that I'm going to annoy you guys with some questions. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    MSB likes this.
  15. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I've been top wrapping for a few years now and haven't noticed any ill effects to a TP. But man, we need pics,

and ps, it took you long enough.

DarrellV and JoshB like this.
  16. JoshB

JoshB Member

I just spent several hours playing the beast amplified. The acoustic harmonic response is great. The guitar also sounds much better amplified. I do notice that pinch harmonics ring out unamplified very well but not so much plugged in. I'm thinking that the stock pots are killing some of the high end response. I was second guessing ordering a '50's wiring kit with 500k pots; not so much now.

I'm looking forward to installing that when it comes in and seeing if that does the trick. I also bought a SD 59 Hybrid bridge pickup but I'm going to install the wiring kit first to see if that does the trick.

Obligatory photo:
    20180204_180301.jpg

I need to get some screws to mount my pickguard and I'm going to replace all of the screws on the pickup bezels. I also have a new cover plate to replace my cracked switch cover and a "Studio" truss rod cover to replace the "Standard" one.

Other good news: I was pretty sure that a refret was going to be an immediate necessity but it's playing just fine!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    bufbills, DarrellV and MSB like this.
  17. JoshB

JoshB Member

Progress is being made. Putting in a Toneman '50's wiring kit and a SD '59 Hybrid bridge right now. I also did some deep cleaning and light polishing. 20180216_200044.jpg 20180216_200044.jpg 20180216_200121.jpg

Attached Files:

DarrellV likes this.
  18. JoshB

JoshB Member

Mostly back together. The '50's kit has definitely woken up the high end on this thing; I'm even getting pinch harmonics to ring out well on the neck Shaw PAF. The SD '59 Hybrid thankfully isn't nearly as high output as I feared. It's just about perfect, breaks up my Hot Rod Deluxe clean channel very slightly. The only criticism I'll make is that it doesn't "jazz" quite as well on the neck pick up. This guitar is much closer to what a LP should sound like to me overall now, crunch tones are rich and open and leads have the bite I was missing before. I still think a new set of more modern frets would give it a little more punch when clean or crunchy and more sizzle when saturated but im damn happy right now.

20180217_012514.jpg

DarrellV likes this.
  19. JoshB

JoshB Member

One other note: I put a fresh bridge on. I also was going to swap the tailpiece but the tolerances on the newer one weren't even comparable to the old Schaller. Just a bit of info for the hive mind.

20. DarrellV

Try sinking it further down into the neck! i had to do this with mine after the re-wind and it mellows the honk off of it and sweetens it up nicely.:dude:

Mine is down even with the ring with the screws just sticking out of the covers....

Looks good, and very familiar!:hmm:

I just did this very thing in the pickups section 2017 Shaw Revival if you get bored....

Seems like I'm seeing things twice, LOL!!!:shock: