1983 Les Paul Custom - Weight Relieved?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Burny FLG, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

In the process of buying said guitar.
    Is there anyway to tell if it's weight relieved?
    The listing is missing the actual serial numbers but states the pots are correct for 1983.
    Anyway it's in lovely condition with tim shaw pick ups.
    Can you knock on the wood or?

2. PierM

PierM Premium Member

You have A LOT of chances that it's a weight relief, since they started at the end of 1982...and no, you can't knock the wood to check as it's not chambers, it's 9 small core drilling into the mahogany body, under the maple cap. You should not really worry/care about those.

DarrellV likes this.
  3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I wonder what the weight difference of a non-weight LP and a 9 hole weight relief LP would be? My Custom was made in July of 82, (I believe it's non-weight relief) is just over 10 lbs.

Anyone know what a later 80s Custom 83, 84, etc. might weigh?

Just curious.

4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Even in the same year, guitar weights can vary by more than a pound, on same-model guitars. That's the nature of wood, and individual variances in the guitars.

Ask the seller to weigh it, with pics. If they don't have the equipment, Amazon them a digital scale for a few bucks. Better to spend that money, than be unhappy with the purchase.

Better yet, have them walk it down to the local post-office. Take a picture on the scale. If they aren't willing to do that, don't deal with them.

5. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

I have seen weight relieved guitar weigh more than non-weight relieved guitars.

Weight varies by wood density so it is a crap shoot......

1981 LPC, Who and 69 Goldtop like this.
  6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its amazing how bad some people's Gibsons from the 80's/early 90's suddenly sounded when the cat was let out of the bag and the 'solid body' Les Paul they thought they had suddenly was known to have 9 holes in it.
    Not that the tone changed, just that they thought about the guitar differently.

So will this do the same to you??? Will you suddenly lose your mojo if you stuck your guitar in an x-ray to show weight relief?? Or is the tone of the guitar irrespective of construction detail the more important....

PierM and Who like this.
  7. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

Not a deal breaker too many other things going for it, would be good if it was that's all though.
    Going to have a look at it today with an objective ear being my brother who works in a vintage guitar shop.
    I've fallen in love with it so I need the voice of reason. I'm only planning on having one guitar so want to make sure it's right.

I've played a few Les Pauls in the search to date - all different years and models with varying weights. For example a 1980 Standard was light in comparison to a 2003 Standard which was heavy.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Who likes this.
  8. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

[​IMG]

coupe89 and Les Paul Newb like this.
  9. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

Thought I'd get some response from that comment!

DarrellV and Who like this.
  10. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

Will be passing on the Burny to it's next owner though

Who likes this.
  11. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yup! I've got an 82 Standard from February at 11 pounds on the nose.... Solid build. Wife hates carrying it up the stairs in the case, LOL!

12. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

Well it's as heavy as any other heavy Les Paul. Feels nice to play, the tone's nice, been recently set up. Great condition as it was a second guitar. I'll post pics when I get it. Brother thinks it's a good guitar. Natural plain three piece maple top. One piece mahogany back. Three piece maple neck sans volute. Quirky schaller tuning pegs with little flip out winders. Hardware in great condition. Diamond headed strap buttons. Binding great etc. Non original brown Gibson 80s or 90s case with Gibson USA silkscreen. The natural top really tones down the wow which I like.

Who likes this.
  13. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Sounds like the right guitar for you. Buy it!

14. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

You have your wife carry your guitars for you?

15. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

There is a way to tell if it is weight relieved....

The wiring Chanel is in a slightly different place on those. You can tell by llooking in the pup cavities....

I will try to dig up some pics etc. later on......I have some things to take care of before the weather turns to crap here today.....

Kris Ford likes this.
  16. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

LOL!!!! No, it's not like that at all!! :rofl:
    She rarely does but yesterday she was helping me unload our van after we got home.

I play for our church service every Sunday, and I like to practice on it during the week, so it goes back and forth every weekend.

I usually unload my stuff myself, but yesterday I had to finish mowing the lawn. So to help me out so I could mow before dark she brought my Lester in from the van.

I was lolling inside as I saw her leaning stance as she carried it in. She's tough so I was surprised she commented on it at all.

But yeah, its like carrying a large chainsaw or something.

MSB likes this.
  17. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

The weight is so variable that the only way it tells you if it's weight-relieved is if it's like 14lbs or more (then you know it isn't). But my buddy has an '81 Custom that must be under 10lbs. Very light. Non weight relieved. My '84 Deluxe (definitely weight-relieved) is about 12lbs.

So weight gives you little idea. My non weight-relieved Tokai LP is also under 10lbs. Most of the original, non weight-relieved 'bursts were 10lb or under. You just have to pretty much trust an '83 is weight relieved unless you can get to an x-ray.

18. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

Hey thanks all for the replies. It must be close to 14lbs! Maybe I'll take to the post office to get it weighed properly, don't know how to go about the x-ray though.

19. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

80-83 Les Pauls are perhaps generally the heaviest ever.