1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom, stripped to natural.

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Slashaxl, May 3, 2017.

1. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Exactly, no "collectors value" in this anymore - but you are getting one hell of a guitar to turn into a customised player for very little money.

It already comes with hardware, so all you need (in case you don't like the pickups that come with it) is to spend a few hundred on a set of pickups and a few tens on speed knobs - the only knobs that should be legal on a Les Paul custom.

Slashaxl and Kris Ford like this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I already have a nice yellowed set of speeds.'83 is close enough for me! And enough to chrome or nickel it out hardware wise.
    And a Super D/PAF set that would look super sexy in it!

Slashaxl, sorry! Living vicariously a lil through this guitar!

Slashaxl likes this.
  3. Who

Who J'entends ton coeur Premium Member

Looks good to me.

In removing the finish, it looks like the previous owner didn't round over the edge of the binding. That's a good thing, in my book.

Slashaxl likes this.
  4. Slashaxl

Slashaxl Member

Yeah, I am excited to see it when it arrives. Seems to be here on monday.
    Also eager to see what original parts are there, and what is missing.
    Seeing I live in Norway, I could probably double the price with a sale, as long as the finsh is alright, but I hope this one stays, I am growing into the natural finish :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. nadzab

nadzab Senior Member

As long as whatever "wax" was applied could be removed, I'd finish the back in black and turn it into a Mick Ronson tribute (see avatar). But regardless of what I'd do, that looks like a nice score.

gkelm, Who and Slashaxl like this.
  6. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Check the level of the bridge too. Looks off.

Slashaxl likes this.
  7. Slashaxl

Slashaxl Member

Yeah, looks like a ship the on the picture. We'll see if that needs to be changed. According to seller it plays perfect, but you never know :)

8. Who

I'd do just the opposite. Paint the FRONT black, and leave the sides/neck/back natural.

9. Slashaxl

Slashaxl Member

That has struck my mind too :) Would be cool I think. Needs to be done by a professional though.

10. Who

Nah.... three cans of nitro spray-paint, some sandpaper, and some polish. And a bunch of time.

Don't like the results?..... remove with acetone (be careful not to burn the binding).

11. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Seems like a good deal to me. Are you going to refinish it/have it refinished?

12. Slashaxl

Slashaxl Member

Not sure yet. Needs to be well done, so depends on the cost I guess. Will look into that once the guitar is here, and I know it is staying :) The natural finish is growing on me, but I am missing a black Les Paul :p

13. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

That's not even a Phat Cat - looks like a Strat pickup!

Back to the question at hand - for $1K you have a fantastic guitar - stripping the finish off more or less ruined the vintage value, and I suspect that any good refin you have done, preferrably in the colour the guitar was originally, can only help the guitar's value.

There is another very valid reason to consider a refinish - oiled finishes are often not truly impervious, and sweat, moisture, finger grease etc will get into the wood, which won't do it any good at all - Maple is more resilient than Mahogany, but to give you an idea of the potential issue, Warmoth parts will not honour their warranty on almost any wood parts unless they have an impervious finish - in which they specifically exclude "oiled" finishes - so I would suggest you look into having the oil finish removed and a nitrocellulose lacquer or similar refinish done. Oil can be a bit of a pain to remove (it's not referred to as oil for nothing!), but for a great guitar, it's well worth looking into.

Great score - play the living daylights out of her (but please put hatbox knobs on the guitar rather than those heinous Tele knobs :D)

14. Lightningflash

Lightningflash Senior Member

Looks to be a good score IMO. And I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat for a grand as well.
    You did well!

15. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

A Custom for a grand? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

16. gkelm

gkelm Senior Member

Yes, my thoughts exactly!

17. Slashaxl

Slashaxl Member

Well, I think I will get the top refinned in black. The guitar will be here on saturday, so we will see then.
    No original case, and one of the inlays is missing a small piece, so that should be replaced.
    The nut seems to be some kind of brass compensated nut.
    This thing will need some work, but will hopefully turn out good in the end.

Will post an update, and some new and proper pics when I get it home :)

18. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

What color is it inside the cavities?

19. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I agree with those who say that even in most worst case, bad-surprise scenarios, that 1K is a bargain-basement price. It's true that really abused, banged-up specimens change hands at or above that price. Had I encountered this one the last time I was buying, I would have snapped it up instantly, redone it exactly to my taste, and felt like I got a steal. Good luck.

20. Slashaxl

Slashaxl Member

Got this one today! Haven't really tested it yet, just played it for a bit unplugged, and then ripped it apart.
    Definity not the original pups. Have no idea what they are. One is Gibson stamped, the other just got an N stamped in a circle. Probably an Duncan or something. Brass volored backplate on that one, silver on the Gibson.
    Missing the original pickup rings, other parts in black included. Not sure if all them are original.
    Some kind of weird compensated nut.

Some cheap ass case, looks to be from an Aria Les Paul or similar from the 70s-80s.

Neck felt wider and thinner than I expected. Thought it might have a fatter neck. Seems to play well though :)
    Was definitivly black once upon a time.

Will post a bunch of pics later today :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017