1978 Tokai LS-60 price check?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Eigen, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Eigen

Eigen Senior Member

Hi everyone it's been a while!

I've been out of the MIJ game for a while (still rocking on my 1980 EG-700 though!) and have been offered a 1978 Rebord LS-60 in a trade, was hoping to tap into the subforums knowledge on this one, as ebay prices aren't making a whole lot of sense? I see 197-'-1981 LS-60's listed for a bit less than LS-80's, in the low or mid 1XXX$, but that can't be right?

What would be a realistic valuation on an LS-60 from this era? I was thinking max 1k but closer to 900$? It is a decent plain-top cherry in the 80017XX range.

Keep in mind that this is one Europe though, so I assume there is a bit of a premium commanded here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eigen

2. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Hi Eigen,
    I'm not sure if eBay Germany has an advanced search filter that displays recently sold items ? ... but that's what I would rely on.
    A few vendors list for crazy prices hoping an impatient buyer will push the buy button.

One thing to check for on 1978 models, is whether the guitar has a two piece center seam neck. It might not make a difference to you or others, it's just something I would want to know. Early 1978 models were the only ones constructed this way.
    Later 1978 models and newer, all have one piece necks, other than a few with heel joints on 1990+ examples.

3. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

I've noticed people asking a lot more for their '78-'83-ish Tokai's lately, up to 50% more than usual ie LS80 for $2800, LS60 for $1500-$2000. Nuts!

4. Eigen

Eigen Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, reborn old, unfortunately I couldn't find enough precedent transactions to really come up with an accurate gauge of value imo.

The seller, whom I trust, did tell me that this was one of the, if not the, best playing Tokai's of that era he has played, and I know he owns a 120 from the same era, among many other high end guitars. Otherwise I would likely be passing anyway, I will check about the neck, from photo's it certainly looks one piece.

Another strange thing is that from photos it appears to be nitro (though most/all are poly from what i've read?), has that distinct belt buckle worming that you usually don't get with poly, among other things. Is it just a very thin coating, or were there LS-60 examples with nitro?

Yeah, Grenville, prices seem to have exploded, in particular on these lower model numbers, as far as I remember there was an even larger price difference between 60's and 80's a oouple years ago, but who knows could just be a false memory.

5. villager

villager Senior Member

all 60 are poly unless its been refinished.. 80s are around 1600 euro 60s should be under 1000 euro, unless the top is exceptional..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  6. Lumi71

Lumi71 Senior Member

I recently sold a 1980 reborn old LS60 for 1150 Euro. Had a beautiful figured maple top in Tobacco and was lightweigt with 3.8 KG. Upgraded Faber hardware, too.

7. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

The prices of guitars in Europe are really expensive. I realize that people probably make more and it just seems that way to a guy from Canada but wow !!!

8. Eigen

Eigen Senior Member

Thank you, villager and Lumi, that is about what I figured, looks to be quite optimistic pricing by some sellers. :)

The trade is still borderline worth it though, I will have to see how the guitar plays.

Yes, brokentoeswalker, in Europe we have value added tax and customs duties, so figure in an extra 22-24% on top of the guitars price+shipping, good times.

9. Lumi71

Lumi71 Senior Member

by the way-
    the ls60 "outplayed" a ls80 and a ls120 I had, too.