1977 Gisbon Les Paul Standard vs. 1996 Gibson Les Paul R9

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by l.a_girl19, May 6, 2012.

1. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum:) Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place but I have a question about a 1977 Gibson Les Paul Standard and a 1996 Gibson Les Paul R9. I was wondering which one is best. I really enjoy playing Led Zeppelin songs and I'd like a guitar that could sound relatively close to Page's sound. Now I know that I can't get exactly his sound but I would like a good guitar to play Led Zep songs. I have a Marshall Class 5 amp and I use Monster cables. I also have the Ibanez turbo tube screamer pedal.

I've done some research on vintage Les Pauls but I am not sure if 1977 is a good year for Les Pauls. I also know that the 90's are sometimes referred to as the good wood years.

I am torn between a 1977 Les Paul Standard and a 1996 Les Paul R9. What are the key differences and which guitar would be best to play Led Zeppelin songs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Cookie-boy likes this.
  2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

either or would be fine...I would chose the '96 regardless as it has the long neck tenon.

1 person likes this.
  3. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

Thank you! I really love the '96 R9!

4. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Senior Member

Have you had the chance to play either of them? I would go that route instead of ordering something based off paper specs..

You might be missing out on a great player either way by going on our or a strangers opinion

You want that guitar in your hands - that's the only way I feel.

and Norlin era Les Pauls are great guitars..

5. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

No, I have not had the chance to play either of them. I am in Canada and both guitars are in the US. I agree, playing them is the best way to decide. Just wish I could.

The '77 is in great shape. Its also less expensive than the '96 R9...such a tough decision!

Thanks for your help :)

6. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

L & M usually have a decent selection of R9's in stock...you could go and test drive a couple if you live near enough to one of their shops.

7. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

True. I can do that. Thanks:)

8. alex.p

alex.p Senior Member

Personally I love the '70s standards, and customs even more. But an R9 is always hard to turn down.

If both in good shape they should both sound and feel great. If one grabs you more on looks I'd get that just so don't have second thoughts later.

9. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

I've personally never played an R9 that I didn't like.

While quite a few of the 70's LP's I've played have been great, not all of them really felt right.

Without playing them first, I'd probably go for the R9.

1 person likes this.
  10. ElectricMojo

ElectricMojo Senior Member

I'd go with the R9.

1 person likes this.
  11. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

Lolz that having to pick between the Norlin section and the Historic/Reissue section you choose the vintage.

IMO - the biggest difference is the neck and whether the 77 has original t-tops

2 people like this.
  12. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

Agreed. T-Tops + Kalamazoo = Win

1 person likes this.
  13. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your help. I think that I'll get both just to be safe. I don't want to miss out lol Both guitars have return policies so I can always return one:)

14. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

77 Standard will sound brighter and more focused than R9. Probably will be much more heavier in weight and less resonant too cause of the denser mahogany and maple neck. Very different guitars really.

I would buy R9. :)

15. Lefty Elmo

Lefty Elmo Senior Member

I would take an R9 over a 1977 Les Paul in a heartbeat! I've owned a few built in the late 1970s, and while there are some good ones out there, I've never found one. From a re-sale perspective a 1996 R6 also wins. You've been given some good advice here, probably the best advice, would be to try out a similar guitar, if you don't have access to the one you're interested in. The R9s have a bigger neck than a 1970s Les Paul, and you should be certain that you'll be comfortable with the size of a larger neck profile. Best of luck in your search, for many of us here, the search never ends.

2 people like this.
  16. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

Ok so the 1977 is not a continuation (if you will) of the 1959 model? If I want a vintage sounding guitar for Led Zep songs I am better off with an R9. Correct?

Thank you all so much for your help! I am learning so much:)

17. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

Actually, the 77 Les Paul would give you the classic 1970's Led Zep sound since Page put in a T-top in 1972 when his bridge PAF died in Australia.

That if the 1977 still has the original pups.

18. l.a_girl19

l.a_girl19 Senior Member

It is all original except for reissue knobs and Grover tuners (which I wanted anyway). I really want that vintage Led Zep sound.

19. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

If postage / return costs aren't hideous then I would say order both and return the one you like least. No substitute for playing 'em to make a decision.

20. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Oh - and post a comparison 'quick test' if you do ... :)