1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom Never Played or Used, Time capsule

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Gary Clark, Aug 1, 2017.

1. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Nicest Norlin I've seen in this century. Thanks for sharing! :wave:

2. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I remember seeing that seam on them back in the early 80s when I was doing guitar tech. The Customs almost always had that very visible seam and they were all of 8 years old, and the lacquer wasn't cracked. I think they were born with it.

Kris Ford and rockstar232007 like this.
  3. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

^^^Now that I think of it, my '72 SG had that same thing too.

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

5. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

Yea, I read more than signing in and commenting. I got nothin' interesting to say that ain't been said already. And you, my friend with that eye for detail, should be a detective. ...or maybe you already work for the NSA...??? lol cheers!

Who likes this.
  6. dodger916

dodger916 Senior Member

That's a beautiful guitar with an interesting provenance. I hope it plays as well as it looks...

7. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

we will never know.......

Who likes this.
  8. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

whats the weight

9. Gary Clark

Gary Clark Junior Member

10 LBS 14OZ on my Digital bathroom scale...how accurate that is i dunno. It goes up to 400LBS, so i put my guitar stand on it, tared it (zeroed) then put the guitar on it. 14-15 oz flickered before settling on 14oz.

10. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

Are you guys still arguing over this? Play it or don't. Its his guitar.

Who and jojo like this.
  11. Blushingmule

Blushingmule Junior Member

I agree. Gold hardware doesn't work in many cases. What a cool find!

12. gball

gball Senior Member

I prefer the chrome as well, but admittedly I may be biased because my Custom is a Silverburst.

SingeMonkey likes this.
  13. Meathead872

Meathead872 V.I.P. Member

Beautiful guitar and time capsule it is,this is just one more little step of proof that the Kalamazoo plant was using the oval serial number method and the Nashville bridge before the Nashville plant was off and running as far as Les Paul's go.

Kris Ford likes this.
  14. Elrathia

Elrathia Senior Member

I have a 76 custom serial just 60 away from this one (0012400) with the same specifications, black and chrome, although mine led a much more adventurous life. Very interesting your information from Walter Carter that this was a limited run. Any details on how many were made? I understand that your friend ordered the guitar at the Kalamazoo factory, is it possible that he actually picked the guitars up at the dealership in Nashville? There is just so much about the guitar that shouts Nashville, but at that time special orders were still being made in K'Zoo and with Gibson, of course, anything is possible.

SingeMonkey and Pappy58 like this.
  15. Gary Clark

Gary Clark Junior Member

He picked them up at the (--> K'mzoo <---like this much better TY!) factory, this guitar never saw a dealership. When he mailed in the registration card that came from Tenn. The manual i have that came with the guitar states it was made at K'mazoo Michigan. Guitars were still being made there at the K'mzoo factory during the transition to Nashville, it Was customs only. I was told this by a luthier that worked there during the transition. What Walter Carter stated was that it was "either" the limited edition run predecessor to the 79 release, or a true custom. He did not know how many were made i did ask this...i also asked how he knew about the limited run...he never clearly answered this. What he did say is there is no true way to define this, because of how the serials were used in 76.
    All i know is the man i got it from told me he ordered this to match his Thunderbird bass. Being a player for Ike and Tina Turner and knowing the man for many years i have no other reason but to believe him. That would define it as a true custom. On another forum i was part of it was argued that NO gibsons were made at K'mzoo after 1974 because again there is no way to define what plant they were made at. Yet i find info all the time of guitars being made there all the way up to 78. Matter of fact there is one for sale here in Seattle that the serial defines it was made at K'mzoo and its a 78 LP Custom. What you stated is true, with Gibson anything is possible.

Kris Ford likes this.
  16. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I think these BBs look way better in chrome (nickel, even better!) than gold, even when new, and the way Gibson gold ages (it doesn't; it just flakes off) it's way, way better when time passes. What a beautiful guitar. Of course, I would play it (assuming it plays well) because it's a great looking guitar and I love music, but as a collector's item with investment potential -- probably not a ton, but more than usual, I would think -- just putting it away makes sense, too. No point fighting -- you'll do what's best for you! What a fantastic score. That is a beautiful guitar

17. Elrathia

Elrathia Senior Member

Thank you for your response. I had never given any thought that the 76 Custom I have was anything unusual. I ask about the features as I have assumed since I bought the 76 that it had Nashville features different from those of my 75 Custom, i.e., the 75 has Grovers, the 76 Schallers, the 75 has a narrow cutaway binding, the 76 wide, the 75 has a transitional tenon, the 76 a rocker tenon, the 75 a 6-figure serial number, the 76 the sticker number, side markers are different as well. Both the 75 and 76 have Nashville bridges, however my 75 had a Kahler when I found it, and the bridge bushings were incorporated into the Kahler mount as were the tailpiece studs. I can't say whether the Nashville bushings were installed supporting the Kahler, or were native to the guitar.

It is of small importance, however the 1975 and 1976 period was so transitional for these instruments and it would be interesting to be able to pin down the details. You have a beautiful instrument, passed on to you by a friend and real professional. I hope that it brings you musical pleasure or profit, whichever you seek.

18. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Cool story and guitar!

19. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

Very cool indeed. Sad that it'll never get played, but I do understand why.

Interesting that you can see one of the neck joins through the paint. My '84 Deluxe is the same WRT the three-piece top.

20. Ob1clyde

Ob1clyde Member

One word - SWEET!