1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom Never Played or Used, Time capsule

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Gary Clark, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

I don't know man ;)

Stones have had some weird openers. Sugar Ray is one off the top of my head. But I get what you're saying. Anywho, that guitar is truely a time capsule and I wonder how many vintage Les Pauls even exist in that condition, with those extras, with that provenance (one owner, documented with waranty card).

I'd say VERY few. As an example, when Joe Bonamassa did his first signature with Gibson, he was given a prototype and the first 3 off the line. He said fans assume he just has tons of untouched guitars in cases, waiting to sell or pass on, or gift out... but it's not the case. He had 4. Kept the prototype and 001, gave his Dad 002, and his manager 003. Then traded the prototype to Normans, after giging with it for awhile.

Old timer likes this.
  2. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

I have really never seen a mahogany necked 76 Custom, so they cant exist. :cheers:

P.S. Congrats to the owner, this one is really exceptional. Should be played a bit too, i have in near mint condition "under the bed" 69 Custom, which takes a lot of playing now. They really should and deserve to be played. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

Its a fake.

tee hee . . . Sorry, 4 pages and no one said it. It was time.
    That is gorgeous! The chrome is a real cool touch! I had an early 70s Custom and the
    gold was coming off the tailpiece in big slabs. IT was curling up and could cut your hand
    when you palm muted, lolz. The chrome fared a little better.
    Very nice!

4. Gary Clark

Gary Clark Junior Member

You guys are killing me...it should be played, lol! I was told by several people not to do that, because so many things can just happen. Karma has a way with people and things. I would love to plug this into my marshall i have to my right of my computer and blast away on this, i just cant do it. Not for at least 9 more years lol.

scrumm21 likes this.
  5. Encrypted

Encrypted Senior Member

This belongs in a museum, an incredible piece. Keep it unplayed!

6. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

"You guys are killing me...it should be played, lol!"

That's silly, the thing's been played by at least 6 people. At least 3 at the Gibson factory. :rolleyes:

Who likes this.
  7. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Yep, it needs to be played, by a good player

8. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

How close was it to being in tune?

Probably closer than expected.

9. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

What are your main concerns about playing a few riffs? That you might drop it, bang it, scrape it? You might break a string, have to re-string, and inadvertently scrape it up?

I can see that as a legit concern, given the pristine condition of the instrument. But really tho, you've strummed the damn thing right? At least held it in playing position and pretended? I hope you've played it once, at least acoustically. Would it be worth less if the next buyer was aware that you played it?

THDNUT likes this.
  10. Gary Clark

Gary Clark Junior Member

nope, it is factory strings, tuned down a full step. I had my tuner next to it and strummed a G chord then ran the strings one at a time. Full step down. I am told thats how they sent them out back then. So it never hit a retail guitar store..straight from the Kalamazoo factory to Johns hands along with his bass. The registration came back from Tennessee when he mailed the paperwork in.

11. uncle spooky

uncle spooky Junior Member

alot whiners n judges here..bye bye.im outta this sandbox...

12. howlermonkey

Sweet...................even with the factory tune!!!

13. dwoods2769

dwoods2769 Member

Guitars are meant to played. Period. It's like grilling a beautiful steak and just looking at it. There is no novelty in it at all. If Pagey or Ace or The Reverend Willie G had it under there bed now your talking. Not to mention wasn't 76 the Norlin plywood crap. Anyway, not playing that is sacrilege. Sorry

14. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

Do what you like with it. Just not breath on it.

15. Gary Clark

Gary Clark Junior Member

I deal with "people" everyday as a business owner, real people have opinions, i have no issue with anyones statements on this thread. I have yet to see anyone whine? anywhoo.... i appreciate the input from you here. And i do feel lucky. Ive never had a guitar of this caliber in my life. Ive always muddled through with lower end guitars. My very first electric started it all, its a now lawsuit era Hondo II Gibson LP copy blonde with a bold on blond neck/fretboard. I still have it. Second one i got an Aria flying V which i traded for a Westone Pantera which i traded for a 79 Epiphone Sheraton Black with gold hardware and i also still have that. After i got this 76 Gibson i still didnt have anything good (though the Sheraton is nice) to play on so i bought me a new Trubute T Gold top.

16. howlermonkey

There is a group of people who's sole reason to want this guitar is because it's never been played and has everything that it comes with new.

That group of potential buyers disappears if it gets tuned/set up/played/scratched.

You can't put it back once it's been done so the original poster is actually in for a tough decision.

A little bit of exposure to let people know it exists (such as this thread) will flush out those people who want such a thing and all original poster has to do is sit on it for a little while to see what kind of offers come trickling in before making his decision.

Who likes this.
  17. gball

gball Senior Member

I think the question is whether this condition adds value to the instrument. Mid-'70's LPC's are killer guitars, in my opinion among the best that Gibson has ever made, and I personally fall squarely into the category of someone who would be a prime buyer for one. My first good guitar was a 1977 LPC that I got new, and my current #1 is a 1979 LPC. But they are known as players' guitars, not much interest from collectors. That may change in 9 years, but the undeserved stigma of "Norlin" isn't going anywhere and the corksniffers are probably not getting past it. Which leaves players, and at least for me and what I have seen in the thread so far from others, this condition wouldn't add a lot to what I would be willing to pay for the guitar. Maybe a few hundred dollars over what a black Custom generally sells for but not much over that, and honestly only if I got to play it first. Sitting in a case for 40 years hasn't done the guitar any favors other than keeping the paint clean.

Blushingmule and Kris Ford like this.
  18. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

(pssst.... who's gonna know?)

Now admit it. We all know you've already noodled on it. We're all friends here. No one will tell. It is impossible for a guitar player to pick one up with out playing it.

19. Zenatty1

Zenatty1 Premium Member

awesomeness!

20. Fretrattler

Fretrattler Junior Member

You need to play it!!!!