1975 Hand Made Murphy Shaw Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by gravy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. DougMiers

DougMiers Junior Member

Yeah, I apologize. I had tried to add the full sized pages on the site but they (the files) were to big. There's probably a middle ground to get the pages on the site so that they're readable, but I'm not great with computers and don't know how.

2. Tom Baird

Tom Baird Junior Member

Pat,

Thanks again for sending the logos. I got it back on the headstock of my bass Serial # 411178 - 1978. Looking brand new.

3. Tom Baird

Tom Baird Junior Member

4. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

So the guy who said Pat Murphy died in a car accident is wrong?

5. pat murphy

pat murphy Junior Member

Belzeebub,

Yup, was a rumor, I think I know who started it. You know, ex's and all. Alive and well so far, even though getting long in the tooth.

6. tin dirigible

tin dirigible Senior Member

This thread is very cool!
    It's great to hear history being told by those who lived it!

7. soundz915

soundz915 Junior Member

Remember me Scott Pike from BG

8. kdm

kdm Senior Member

9. J. Prager

J. Prager Junior Member

Hey Pat: My apologies for all the rumors of your demise which were not of my making but probably did originate from your ex. Anyway, sure glad you are Still Alive and Well.

I did want to add that you sold your last guitar to me in 1981 or 82. It was that wonderful Sunrise "Prototype Bass" , which had a story all its own. It was a tobacco sunburst single cutaway with cream soapbar passive PUPS. Came with a nice hardshell case, too.Very nicely made and very clean sounding

Money was hard to come by then, and since we were friends you sold it to me for less than $1000. .

I regret to tell you that in a fit of desperate stupidity, i sold it to a friend named Chance who moved to Portland, OR.

Also, you helped me build that custom Explorer-style bass, modeled somewhat after the one that Alembic made for John Entwhistle. It had Bartolini pickups and an active Tone control module, sported the 5-way pickup selector switch with the out-of-phase position, and best of all, your Sunrise P-bass neck with 5-layer skunk stripe. We did that work in some pretty rudimentary conditions out there in the Ozarks, with no real shop to work in. But, it has lasted for many years, too.

I played that heavy bastard in clubs from '83-85 and still have it. However, the P-bass neck has been decommissioned, sad to say.

Can post of pic of the P bass neck soon for those who might be interested. It is a sweet P-bass neck, better than any of that crap you can buy now, even the Warmoth stuff doesn't compare.

This thread is very interesting to anyone who knows anything about Sunrise guitars, and will be provide some great historical info, too.

In the meantime, Pat, maybe you can stop filing tax returns since everyone thinks you've shuffled off the mortal coil.

Then again, Wesley Snipes tried that and it didn't work too well for him. LOL.

10. nosdoc

nosdoc Member

What an awesome thread. Read like a novel. Im speechless

11. funkysteven

funkysteven Junior Member

Thanks to Pat Murphy....this thread is awesome!!!!
    I sent him some pics of a Sunrise bass to ask if this is a 'real' Sunrise bass guitar (of course it was not:shock:).He gave me the link to this forum/site.....
    Thank you Pat!!!!!!!

12. morats8up

morats8up Senior Member

13. DougMiers

DougMiers Junior Member

I would like to talk to you about your Murphy-Shaw. I have been looking for one to buy. Can I email you? Thanks Doug.

14. morats8up

morats8up Senior Member

Hey Doug, The guitar is not mine. I just thought other parties like yourself might be interested as they seem to be quite scarce. Sorry for the confusion, Micheal.

15. beckeelynch@att.net

beckeelynch@att.net Junior Member

I have a 1975 Murphy Shaw #19 that I am interested in selling. Please email beckeelynch@att.net.

16. EvLectric

EvLectric Senior Member

17. BroWilly

BroWilly Junior Member

I came across this thread yesterday and all I can say is "Wow" :applause:. What a great discovery and so much good information. I didn't realize what I had! I acquired a used Sunrise guitar in October 1980 at Rainbow Music in Grand Rapids, MI. Traded in an early 70s LP Custom plus $100 for it - been kind of kicking myself for that, but that's another story.

The serial number stamped on the back of the head is 107076. I would appreciate some help in understanding what that means and any other facts about this guitar. I see from the previous posts that not many of these were made and the photos that I have seen from attachments don't look like my guitar.

I would also appreciate any help on recommendations for setup. I hadn't played it for quite awhile but have recently renewed my interest in playing again so I pulled it out, polished it up and changed the strings. The B and high E strings sound somewhat muted and I also noticed the neck pickup is kind of at an angle to the strings instead of parallel to them.

If Pat Murphy is still checking on this thread - it's been great to read your posts and get a sense of the history of these great instruments. Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated. I'll attach some pictures and look forward to any replies.

Attached Files:

18. hdnut83

hdnut83 Junior Member

I have one of the murphy krempel mm7 steel string guitars.Absolutely unbelievable!!!!! I am told that my father in law knows where the 12 string version is also. I can only imagine what the murphy shaw guitars are like. Dan knew them pretty well and always asks if I have heard anything about them. I guess I'll be the bearer of bad news. Thanks folks

19. pat murphy

pat murphy Junior Member

Hdnut83,

Been a while since have communicated with someone that has a Krempel guitar. I have 4 of them left, a custom 12 string and custom classical, and standard 12 st and standard classical.

I haven't heard from Krempel for years. Would be a very old man if he is still alive. I really liked his instruments too and was pleased to help design the metal string models he made.

20. Travis109

Travis109 Junior Member

Haven't looked at this forum in quite awhile now. But I still have my murphy shaw guitar #26. Looking to sell it if anyone is interested let me know.

Travis