1974 LP Custom Restoration

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Mr. Beef, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Thanks kmaster68.

The owner of the guitar told me that the pickups were the original T-tops and I don't know why the covers are chrome. He didn't have the pick guard in the case when he dropped it off, but he does have it at home. I can only reassemble the guitar with what I'm provided with.

monkfish and kmasters68 like this.
  2. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

IGRocker and kmasters68 like this.
  3. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Are you going to upgrade that strap button, while you are at it?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Thank you for sharing. I love this stuff. Gets my mind going 5mph...

Mr. Beef likes this.
  4. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

It looks great
    The "yellowing" is just right
    Kudos

5. space_chase

space_chase Junior Member

the only reason he is posting is work here is to receive feedback, positive or negative. read through his thread about putting a new fretboard on another les paul. it was a clusterf*ck. it's been posted in this thread at least once. this guy really shouldn't be working on other people's instruments, and he himself admits to that. i agree, tact is always important and the thing i said about the clear being streaky could've been phrased more constructively - but - beef has gained a bit of infamy around here lately. read that thread and you'll see what we mean!

edit: here's the link
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/customizing-a-custom-with-a-new-fretboard.376594/

6. kmasters68

kmasters68 Premium Member

I don't know that Mr. Beef needs to be run out of town, but I see your point. If he is touting the services of a professional luthier then the quality is way off. But since he paid for the guitar in question and appears to be learning from his mistakes, it seems right to give him a another chance. I do feel like he would be best served to really under sell his services. Go with that whole under promise/over deliver approach.

If I were Mr. Beef, I'd start a new thread recapping his journey lumps, bumps, bruises and all. Explain his mistakes and what he's learned. Explain what his current skill level is and what he offers service wise and if necessary, how those services differ from a pro luthier. Include all of the old negative threads links with a brief and respectful perspective for each. I think if he presents himself humbly and as a learner who strives to improve, then he can thrive here.

On the other hand, if these threads get rolled out again every time he starts a new project, then he may as well find a new online community because this will cease to be fun and interesting for him. He explained that this is a hobby after working 80 hours a week as a single dad. That tells me a whole lot. Right off the bat it tells me to expect mods/repairs/restos to take several months not weeks. It also tells me that guitar customers are not near the top of his list. How could that be?

So, Mr Beef, my opinion is that you meet these charges head on in a consolidated thread or the wolves will nip at your ankles every time you try to take a chance on a new thread. And since failed attempts are MUCH MORE informative that brilliant luthiers showing home run after home run, I hope that Mr. Beef continues to work out the kinks in a public way.

But to do that, Mr. Beef needs to take the high road of attrition and hopefully the community will give him the room he needs to have fun and improve in a supportive environment.

Damn, I just got uncharacteristically unifying there for a second. (opens arms for a big hug)

7. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I feel empathy for the person, but there is many other honest jobs people can do without messing around with other people guitars.

8. ssydor

ssydor Junior Member

I am not sure why people keep throwing Mr. Beef under the bus?
    Looks like he had an issue with one client (as seen in the thread everyone keeps posting). But that has been resolved. So why beat a dead horse? Has he wronged you? Do you guys have some personal stake in this or something? I see the same people making comments all the time...
    I think he has posted some great threads here over the past few years, and I have seen a lot of people posting positive comments about his work. He has also done work for me (a refinish), and I was happy with how it turned out.
    I am finding this forum is getting kind of lame. I used to enjoy coming here and seeing peoples work, and learning a few things along the way. Now it has turned into a place to bash people. My 2 cents: If you don't like his work, don't send your guitar to him... and move along. Enough info and pictures have been posted here for people to do their own research and make up their own minds.

monkfish, Bud Stoner and kmasters68 like this.
  9. kmasters68

Agreed!

10. Zeegler

Zeegler Senior Member

Agreed.

11. Dineley

Dineley Senior Member

Ive read the other thread. Sucks that things went poorly in that situation, glad it got resolved.

This looks great! Dude wanted it aged it looks aged. I hope you are able to rebound from that negative situation Mr. Beef as you clearly care about the work you do and arent trying to scam people.
    I hope things trend upwards for all parties and keep posting your work good and bad transparency will help you overcome any lingering negativr association

12. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

I'd only add, just because there aren't posts here, it doesn't mean he hasn't screwed up other people's guitars. I know of more than a few people who haven't posted that weren't satisfied with the work they had done, and rightfully so.

PierM and TheZ like this.
  13. ssydor

ssydor Junior Member

Then let them speak up. Why are you chiming in? What do you have to offer??? This is exactly what what I was talking about.
    Lame.....

14. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

My experience was far worse than what has been presented in this thread. Ultimately, Mr. Beef did attempt to make it right, but it certainly didn't even come close to making us even in our transaction, the details of which are far too numerous to be presented here.

You were satisfied with your experience and that's great. You came here and vocalized that. Others were not so lucky, and it isn't lame for them to express that as well. The details of the transaction presented in this thread absolutely warrant the feedback that has been given. Ask yourself, had this happened in your case, would you not be doing the same thing and hoping for the same support?

Also, when work is presented on a public forum in this manner, it is done so in order to garner feedback, be it good or bad. Thats specifically the intent. If you don't like the feedback, perhaps it's you who should move along rather than being butthurt over others expressing opinions that differ from your own.

PierM likes this.
  15. ssydor

ssydor Junior Member

"butthurt". Nice!
    I get that you didn't have a great experience. I think everyone gets that. And that is totally understandable that you weren't happy. I feel bad for you, and I think a lot people showed you lots of support. There is a whole thread dedicated to that. It has been covered in great detail... It is right there out in the open for everyone to read. Mr. Beef's reputation has been dragged through the mud already.
    Now it is just getting old, and feels like beating a dead horse. The "lame" part is that a group of people (who have absolutely nothing to do with this whole ordeal), are chiming in, making comments, and hijacking threads (like this one).
    So yeah, I do still think it is lame.
    But hey, who am I to stop you guys from bashing? Go ahead... keep bringing it up if that makes things better for you? I am not trying to defend anyone, and I am certainly not trying to insult anyone.
    I just get tired of reading comments from people about it (especially from those who aren't involved, and have never even dealt with Mr. Beef).

1969 weatherman likes this.
  16. ssydor

ssydor Junior Member

And I guess I am even contributing to the lameness now... by the fact that I am even participating in this discussion.... so i'll just be quiet and move along :)

17. kmasters68

And I hesitate to do it too but since it got the bump...
    If ever I felt a thread should be closed it might be this one. Not that it violates the forum rules but I just think about how awful it is for poor Mr. Beef to get the spit roast. He has VERY VERY wisely chosen to not comment further. Why feed the trolls? The fact that its on the first page of MLP doesn't help the situation much but at a very minimum every poo pooer should feel vindicated. So I'll ask the community, has a pound of flesh been extracted? I think so. Lets just leave it alone and let this thread go. If Mr. Beef makes headline news tomorrow, fine. But for now, he's made it right and walked through fire here on MLP. I think everything is right enough in the world to move on. Me included.:io:

18. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Just for clarification these pickups are chrome because they are Patent Sticker T Tops from a 67 Flying V.

deadlyweasel and Kris Ford like this.
  19. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Some very good advice here, and I'll take it. I'll start a new thread recapping the journey. Thank you for the suggestion.