1974-75 gibson les paul custom

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by gw1980, Jan 4, 2009.

1. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Hi.

I was wondering if there was someone out there that could help me.

I am currently looking at buying a 1974-75 Gibson Les Paul Custom, however I have a few concerns regarding the instrument. It is has the usual split-diamond headstock, 70's joined up lettering on the headstock (I mean the top of the "b" and "o" in Gibson), block inlays, gold hardware, original electrics, pickups, pots and the machineheads are consistent too. However it has some other charcteristics which I cannot find when looking for anything similar on the net.

- It has a flamed cherry sunburst top, I can only find plain tops!
    - It doesn't appear to have 3-piece top (Maple-Mahogany-Maple) as the other 70's customs seem to.
    - It has white pickups surrounds, and scratchplate.
    - It has Speed knobs, but the seller has assured me that he has the original knobs too (but haven't ascertained what colour these are).

The serial number checks out and I am sure you agree it looks like a lovely instrument, and I will be more than happy to buy it. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is indeed a configuration for this type of guitar, and if gibson did indeed do a flamed LP custom.

Your help would be greatly appreciated here.

Many thanks,

GW

Attached Files:

2. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

There are some Norlin two piece toppers floating around. I'm pretty sure they never came with white plastic though. :laugh2:

I'd fucking grab it if I were you.

3. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Really?!

I was told by the current owner that when he bought the guitar, the surrounds were white and have aged accordingly. I assume they would have as he bought it in 1980 and that is 28 years ago.

I have just searched Norlin Wood on google and found the following:

Looking for info on 1979 Les Paul Custom in Cherry Sunburst - Les Paul Forum

Again the surrounds from the 71 at the bottom of the page are cream, but are replacement and no flame!

Thanks for your reply mate!

GW

4. Boleskinehouse

Can you play it first?

5. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Yeah I am arranging a viewing shortly.

6. Boleskinehouse

7. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Just the small matter of the 500 mile round trip hey? lol

8. 05hummer

05hummer Senior Member

That is beautiful, I would snag it.. Could be a custom order, they are out there.. I have a 78 custom with a flamed two piece top...

9. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

Is that the only pic you have?

Serial numbers don't help a lot for these years.

when you say original electronics, have you checked the pot codes?

I've never seen a 74/75 Custom with a top like that. Or white plastic.

Pickups should be TTops. Probably (but not always) stickered on the back for '74, stamped plate for '75.
    Again, not always, but likely a 3 pc maple neck for '75, 3 pc mahogany for '74.
    And it should be a pancake body.

10. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

I am getting some more pics tomorrow morning. The pot codes are as follows: 1377551 & 1377452. I must admit they mean nothing to me!

GW

11. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

odd, those codes are about a year apart :hmm:
    1377551 = 51st week of '75
    1377452 = 52nd week of '74
    I suppose it's possible that the '74 pot could have been in the bottom of the bin though. Those would suggest it's a '75.
    But sometime in '75 they started using the '99' serial numbers, and that first pot is at the end of the year, so you'd think it'd be in a '99' serial guitar.
    LOL
    always lots of head scratching on these.
    I think I'd guess that it's an early '75 guitar, based on the 7452 pot and that you said the serial is the old style, that had a pot replaced a year later. Remember they ran something like 7500 Customs a year back then, to have pots laying around the shop for a year doesn't make a lot of sense.
    See if you can tell if it's a maple or mahogany neck, and if the guy will let you check the tenon (pull the neck pup, a good time to check for sticker or stamped base plate too), see if it's a trans or not. Early '75 could be, even if it's a maple neck.

12. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Thank you very much for the info. Judging by what you are saying it does seem to be consistent with his description both by Serial and pots, and I agree the pots are more likely an original and replacement.

Here is a picture of the neck:

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg457/gw1980gw/neck.jpg

Hope you can tell which it is.

Thanks,

GW

13. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

14. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

logo, headstock and volute look right to me. I can't tell anything from that neck pic though, I can't even see that it's 3 pc.

15. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Good news.

I am sorry about the quality of the picture, will post some better ones whenI receive them in the morning. As a sideline, how much should one of these be sold for, I wouldn't want to be ripped off....ballpark figure?

And what is your opinion on the pickup surrounds, scratchplate? Do you think they are replacements?

I appreciate your help on this one. I am looking to buy something using an inheritence from my Grandparents and want to get it right!

16. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Do you have a pick of the mentioned guitar please?

17. 05hummer

05hummer Senior Member

Yep... And I forgot, I actually have two,both 78s.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

if you have a look at the one you linked to from the LPF, that's the kind of sunbursts they were shooting back then. And I believe, but I'm not sure what year it started, they bursted the backs too.
    I'm going to guess it's refinned, maybe with a veneer top, and swapped plastics.
    Maybe it's straight up, just because I've never seen one like that doesn't mean it isn't.

But even if it is veneered and refinned, by God it's pretty.

19. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

Thank you. Whilst it is encouraging to see flamed maple tops on these customs, I am still yet to see one with white pickup surrounds and/or scratchplates!

Guess I have to concede that these will not be original parts, should I buy the guitar

20. 05hummer

05hummer Senior Member

If the plastics were switched, or even the pups, it would not stop me from buying a great guitar. If you are looking at it as an investment, then maybe you should pass.. I personally think it looks killer, Evan as dwagar stated, it may be a refin or a veneer on the top..