1973 Custom Neck refinishing

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by MT-Guitars, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

CA8ACF6B-53E5-4ABB-A729-9745CADBC9D3.jpeg FB363539-9D15-4F5C-A53F-91F1A5735844.jpeg 0FBA3EE7-0C3A-493F-990D-F0A5702D3779.jpeg

Customer was unhappy with his painted neck, it had been refinished before and the paint used made the neck very sticky and hard to play. We suggested a tinted Tung oil finish, Customer is very happy with the look and feel. Though not for everyone it’s a good alternative to painting a neck.... original tuners going back on which cover the holes left by some Grover’s that were fitted during its life..

2. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

Ever done an entire body??

3. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I have one of those ...

4. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

About too, many days sanding, I don’t use paint stripper.....

5. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

I stripped the original finish off two years ago for the same reason. A combination of slick bare maple and sticky original finish hampers playability.

Covered the neck with a few thin coats of Tru Oil. Wish I had done it sooner. Originality be damned.

Attached Files:

Moby Dick and MT-Guitars like this.
  6. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

90A24FBA-64EF-4D64-8F25-8A4C03037FC8.jpeg Original tuners back on, happy with the end result..

1981 LPC and Moby Dick like this.
  7. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

I think the entire guitar would look really great with that finish.

scozz likes this.
  8. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Out of curiosity, how much would the fact that the neck finish has been stripped impact someone's decision to buy a Norlin era LP? Would you expect to pay less because of it?

9. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Yes.
    That's a partial refin and takes away value.

...also, unless it was a bargain i would't even look in the direction of an unfinished neck - who knows if the *censored* doing the refin hasn't sanded down the neck while at it?

Now, on newer Gibsons i have experienced the "sticky neck syndrome" and with those it is different - i'd look at one with the finish removed - but no Norlin i have ever held did have necks that were as sticky as the newer ones are.

10. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

Owner wouldn’t sell it, and minimum sand paper used was 400 grit, why it took hours to sand.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  11. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Aceton!

12. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

This neck can be painted again, the process is reversible, Tung Oil can be painted over, we wouldn’t resand the neck. This was discussed with the owner before the work commenced. At least the owner can now see his serial number, the previous refinish had covered it and “Made in USA” up.

13. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

@MT-Guitars I don't think anybody's implying that you over-sanded the neck, just that they'd be hesitant to buy a guitar off the internet that had been sanded/refinished. I'd be the same way -- not so, if I had it in hand and could clearly tell that the work was done right. I've seen so many amateur refins where folks got carried away sanding off the old finish that they distorted body countours, destroyed crisp edges, altered the neck shape, etc. Those can look okay in photos, but not in hand. I'm sure you've done a professional job of removing finish, but not wood and that the owner is happy with the work done. I like the black-and-tan look it's got, now!

14. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Just in case i was misunderstood - i did not want to imply that this particular finish removal was done shoddily :)

15. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

I understand, I’m fixing a SG that had a Headstock break, someone has sanded the neck causing a dip. There fix was a lot of spray putty to fill it. No one would believe you if you told them 7-8 hours of work that Customs neck refinish. And it was a love job, Customer was not charged for the work.

kakerlak likes this.
  16. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Man, 20 years ago, when I used to trawl all the pawn shops, you'd see so much crazy shit. Using a screwdriver as a chisel to modify your guitar is fine, right? Once saw a 20th anniversary Custom that somebody refinished in natural that still had lots of black stuck in the pores, plus the binding was so rounded over, it was down to the black ply in spots.