1972 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Jul 25, 2008.

1. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hi guys.
    I have a couple of Deluxes, a 1970 and a 1972. I also have a 1953 GT and a 1980 Greco LP junior. As for traditional humbuckers I have a 1981 les paul heritage. I'm really a humbucker guy, but I just don't like the heritage, it's just an investment.
    I have a plan to trade the 82 deluxe for a les paul r9 or something like that.
    In Sweden, the early deluxe are valued quite high if they are in original condition, which mine is. I have a couple of prospective buyers and the last offer is 25000 Swedish kronor, about 4200 dollar.
    My question to you is if it would be a idea to sell the Deluxe in the states, or if I should sell it here in Sweden.

Attached Files:

2. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Why not just keep her? I have a '76. Not an early one, and not in mint condition, but I can't see myself ever selling it.

3. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Well, I have two of them and I really would like to have a nice humbucker guitar and I'm not made of money:(

4. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

At the price you are asking, you'll get more for it there. That price is WAY to high for the current USA market.

5. kingedb

kingedb Senior Member

if you like the price over there i'd say sell it over there. it may be much easier.

i don't know a whole lot about buying or selling international. with all the internet fraud going on with purchases overseas. i wouldn't even think about making a purchase that large from anywhere other than here.

don't get me wrong. i am questioning your credibility whatsoever. i am just telling you my initial thoughts.

ultimately i am with "Bole". it's a beauty! i wouldn't let her go.

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I paid $3k for my '69 Deluxe - its a refin, but '69 was a desirable year (one piece body, trans tenon). Your '82 would be worth around $2-2.5k here in the USA. Sounds like you have a good deal going on it there.

Got any pix handy of your '53 GT??? :D

Edit - if its a '72 Deluxe (looks like you have a typo in your post) in original condition, then you may get about $3-3.5k for it in very nice original condition here - sorry for the confusion).

7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

The reason I'm asking is because there was a 70-73 deluxe on E Bay just the other day for $6495 and the guitar is gone now. Ridiculous price if you ask me, but the guitar is gone now.

I'll shot some pics of the GT and post them.

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I think that an original '68 and very early '69 will fetch about $15k or so, an original mid '69 about $8k, later '69 about $5k, and 70-73 around $3-3.5k. Ballpark. The market is pretty unpredictable though!

Looking forward to seeing your GT!

9. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Here are two pics of the 53 GT

Attached Files:

10. kingedb

kingedb Senior Member

wow, thats nice!!

11. Hemply

Hemply Senior Member

For the amount you are going to collect for your Deluxe there, you are much better off staying local.

As Diceman said, your Deluxe will fetch a small penny here and also keep in mind the taxes, customs (not the good kind either) you'll end up with $87.91 in your pocket! :shock: :D

Seriously why not keep her, that's a beautiful top!

12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

That is simply beautiful! In amazing shape, too!

I'd KILL for a 50's GT (not you, of course! ;) )

13. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

you can always put a p90 sized humbucker without any routing on the deluxe and bare knuckle pickups came out with their paf in a mini humbucker housing, it call the mule

14. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

That sounds interesting, do you have any links?

15. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I can't find any p90 sized humbuckers, I tried the Bare knuckle web site but all I found was a humbucker sized p90. Any suggestions? I'm not selling the guitar if I can find a paf replica that won't need any routing.

16. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

I was offered $2K for my 77 Red Wine Trans LP Deluxe, w/ Duncan pups and far for mint condition. I think Diceman's Deluxe $$$ estimates are a little high.
    I've seen quite a few from around $1200-$1800. Of course they weren't 69 GT's in Mint condition either.

17. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Maybe a hair high, but the 77 will be worth less than the years that I have mentioned. '68 and early 69 had one piece bodies and necks with long tenons. mid 69 had a mix of one piece bodies and three piece necks, and one piece necks and pancake bodies - 3 piece necks had the transitional long tenon. 70-73 were pancake with the transitional long tenon 3 piece neck. Your 77 is short tenon, which makes it less desirable as a collector's piece.

18. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Here is another deluxe in the same price range I talked about earlier.
    VINTAGE GIBSON EARLY 1970’s USA LES PAUL DELUXE !!! - eBay (item 200241197955 end time Aug-02-08 00:52:46 PDT)
    Mine is in the same condition, the main difference is that I have the embossed gibson logo and the goof hiders, or what ever they are called, but it's all original.
    The price is ridiculous, I know. It would be interesting to see how much it will go for.
    I noticed that the guitar is in Sydney, Australia. I think I'll have to go for a trip down under and trade my deluxe for a pair of custom gator boots.

19. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Any proposal about some hotter mini humbuckers or paf in mini size for my Deluxe?
    I found a Dimarzio mini humbucker and a Tom Anderson ditto, but I don't know anything about them.

20. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

I put a SM-1 Seymour Duncan Mini HB in the bridge my LP Deluxe in 1985 and a Seymour Duncan SM-3 "Seymourized" Mini in the neck position in 2000. They sound great for all types of music. If you can get your hands on Duncan mini's over there, I would highly recomend them.