1971 Les Paul Deluxe Investment?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Crunchy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Crunchy

Crunchy Junior Member

Hi Guys,

So first let me introduce myself, I'm an 20 year old engineering student and my greatest hobby is playing the guitar. So for the last year or so, I was thinking on buying a 'vintage' les paul as an investment (it will be played ofcourse:acoustic:).

As an 59' Burst is a bit over my budget... :) so I was looking for other guitars that would catch my fancy and would increase in value in the coming years.

So this guitar caught my eye:
    https://reverb.com/item/1811550-197...unburst-mint-original-must-see-nice-as-it-get

Now my question to you guys, do you reckon these 'vintage' guitars will increase in value in the coming years or will the price be stagnant? And will it be a good investment?

I hope I dropped this thread in the right forum otherwise i'm terribly sorry,

Greetings,

Crunchy

2. BSeneca

BSeneca Senior Member

Although its already worth more than when new in 1971, I don't think it will appreciate like a 50's Junior or Special. Even a mid 60's Firebird. I wouldn't buy any guitar as an investment. I just don't think the return is there. Unless you are in the BIG market and even then it may be somewhat of a gamble. You say it will be played and that's refreshing to hear! So play it and if it speaks to you, go for it. The price doesn't seem too high so you should at least break even in the future I would think. For a few thousand more you can get a straight Junior which is a better made. Also a better investment. Good luck, Brian

3. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

You should discuss it with the guys over in the Norlin section. They'd have a much better handle on what prices on Norlin's are doing.

IMO buy it if you like to play it, don't buy it if you are looking for a good investment.

RevWillie and BSeneca like this.
  4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

The illusive Vintage Guitar Jackpot!

Liking, searching for, learning about guitars is a nice hobby (although it often turns into an obsession!).

As far as I'm concerned, money shouldn't be your main objective here.
    Finding what you like, sampling different era's, playing them (!) for different tones is what it's about.
    But as I often say: "To each his own".

Welcome to the Forum!
    :thumb:

HardCore Troubadour likes this.
  5. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

I got $900 for mine in '02.

6. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

**Edit** I think its a different guitar

Anyone else find it odd there is binding on the back of the body? Or is that common?

7. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Different guitar..

Capturemknjbhv.JPG

Norlins are fine, Buying one thinking its a financial investment nest egg for the future is wishful thinking.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    BSeneca and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  8. Crunchy

Crunchy Junior Member

Thank you all for all these responses!!!!

I'll think about it and I'll look into Jr's :)

BSeneca likes this.
  9. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

That is a different guitar, and I told them about that pic being included about a year ago when they listed it....I think they are pretty straight but that is an oversight that would be easy to correct.....they also want too much for it, but it is close enough that you could probably get them in the market.

It will not be a $$$ investment though....unless you mean a bad investment.

Might be a player investment....if it ends up being your #1 then it is priceless.

yes, come hang with the cooler kids.

BSeneca likes this.
  10. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

These early 70s Les Pauls gained in price significantly in last decade, thats a fact. But its very questionable, if this trend will continue...

Perhaps only the near mint ones and in all original condition will gain some price in the future. But dont forget, that Deluxes are generally less popular than Customs from this era too, so i would perhaps look for near mint condition 70-74 Custom instead of this Deluxe from a collectors standpoint.

And btw., this one seems to me as late 72/early 73, no way its a 71. :hmm:

LPPILOT likes this.
  11. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Buy a house then see a reputable financial advisor.

12. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Don't buy guitars as investments. There are plenty of real investment vehicles out there that will make you more money faster. Guitars are tools really. Unless you score somethjng for really cheap and can flip it, waiting for a guitar to appreciate is wishful thinking. You should buy it first because you will play it. if you happen to sell and make a few. bucks then great, but you could lose so you had better like the guitar.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  13. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I've been monitoring guitar prices for decades, and while I'm no expert, I can see what the movement in pricing has been. Fo his guitar, what I've seen is a pretty flat valuation -- a minor uptick over a rather long stretch of time. Unless something changes, we're talking about the rate of general inflation, really. Nobody's making much flipping Deluxes! Also, consider: Gibson is destroying the market for these kinds of guitars by producing an infinite number of reissues. And finally -- who is even going to want a Deluxe in 20 years when nobody gives a damn about Beano anymore? Do what you want, of course. Personally, I wish people would not collect or invest in guitars. They're musical instruments. If you are going to buy one to play and want to maximize value, OK; otherwise, I'd request that you let players buy guitars and invest elsewhere yourself.

14. Dougie

Dougie Senior Member

As an investment, as stated, any gain will be slow in coming. At the risk of ruffling the Norlin fans' feathers, I would suggest you look to an R8 or R9 as a player. The 70s Lesters were not their better years, and the mini humbuckers from those years were thin sounding, shrieky squealing pieces of junk. Those mini hums did more to sell early Dimarzio pickups than any other factor. Yes some players sounded great with them but not many. Frankly I hated them and still do. I had the same 71 or 72 Deluxe back in the 70s, the choices we have in modern Gibsons blow them out of the water hands down no comparison.

The early Epiphone mini humbuckers were KILLER pickups by contrast, they used the same plain enamel wire and same short magnets that were in the later PAFs and very early PAT. No. pickups. DCR of these pickups was often close to 8k but by the time the chrome covered minis came about, the wire and magnets was changed and DCR was anywhere from 5.6k to 6.3k and they were terribly microphonic and overall the worst pickup Gibson has made afaik.

If you want a good les paul, for a player, the 70s Deluxe would be just about the last one I would suggest to look at.

15. Iron Blimp

Iron Blimp Premium Member

Buy it. You can't get in trouble monitarily - you'll always be able to get your money back- it's a '71 Gibson for Gods sake. Just buy it and play it!

16. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Not by far from my experience. Yes, there were thinner sounding than T-Tops from the same era and had a bit more treble and kind of jangly character, but were very articulate and sweet sounding, especially neck pickup on clean sound. These were fairly versatile pickups with direct clear tone. I have had some early 70s Deluxes and all were very lively and resonant guitars. For example, here are some clips played on fully cranked 72 Hiwatt DR103 - these can really rock out and arent thin sounding:

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/1973-gibson-les-paul-deluxe-hiwatt-dr103
    https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/lpdeluxe
    https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/deluxe22

Mine were all in range 6.2 - 7.1k :)

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yeah, my experience with minis was not shrieky. My unmodded 73 was a very versatile guitar that was my #1 for 15 years, years that saw me playing metal, rock, jazz, and blues with equal aplomb through amps ranging from 5 to 100 watts running almost wide-open. Articulate even playing with heavy dirt, warm ...

Glad the haters keep talking ... keeps the prices down.

Progrocker111 likes this.
  18. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

Keep saving .....and find 68-69 early Paul . Most all sound and play nice. The shipping totals were less. They seem to trend up , especially well maintained originals . Go to Late Sixtes Les Paul website , and read up ....those might be what your after for an afordable keepsake .

19. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

at 3K I absolutely disagree.